What film did you watch last night?

Caporegime
the hobbit (2d)

Great visuals, good sound track, funny in some places and great action/fight scenes with a great cast, good script etc. but too long, no need for half of the stuff, found myself getting bored and restless half way through. Also, some stuff was stupid like how they survived most things, which would have killed or seriously injured any one in "real life" but given this is a film about magic, dragons etc. I'll let that pass :p

7/10

Soldato
Aliens is brilliant. I've only watched Alien 3 once, a long time ago, so don't really remember it, though I hear the director's cut is a lot better than the theatrical one. Alien Resurrection is an absolute, unmitigated disgrace, atrocious from start to finish.

You didn't love the hell out of Aliens too?

Might be the only person that just thought it was just an ok sequel instead of "better than the first". First one was something very special when the second one just didn't work for me, too much Aliens on screen and quickly became an action film opposed to some mad sci-fi triller that had me on edge from start to finish.

Everything else seems to be a poor mans drunk memory of the original...

Permabanned
The impossible - 6/10 - possibly the most emotional film i have ever seen. It is well made but too emotional. People always screaming at each other and crying.
Cloud Atlas - 7/10 - I thought it was an interesting movie and very good how the actors played multiple parts and how it was several stories at once.
Compliance - 5/10 - i skipped through it because i wanted to see how it ends and was not that interesting, but crazy movie with stupid people.
Jack Reacher - 7/10 - I thought it was good.

Soldato
Might be the only person that just thought it was just an ok sequel instead of "better than the first". First one was something very special when the second one just didn't work for me, too much Aliens on screen and quickly became an action film opposed to some mad sci-fi triller that had me on edge from start to finish.

You just might be the only person that can't see what's so special about Aliens, I'll give you that :)

It's not really a case of 'better than the first'. They compliment each other beautifully imo.

Soldato
the hobbit (2d)

Great visuals, good sound track, funny in some places and great action/fight scenes with a great cast, good script etc. but too long, no need for half of the stuff, found myself getting bored and restless half way through. Also, some stuff was stupid like how they survived most things, which would have killed or seriously injured any one in "real life" but given this is a film about magic, dragons etc. I'll let that pass :p

7/10

Exactly my feelings on the whole LOTR trilogy. Tiresome, boring, pointless. I was expecting the Hobbit to be the same so I'm put off watching it now. No doubt the fanboys love it.

Soldato
Watched Alex Cross last night. Not bad although the film was stolen by Matthew Fox as the hit man. I thought the guy that was playing Alex Cross was a bit, meh. I kinda wished tho that Matthew Fox had played the same character in a bigger film as he was a great bad guy.

7/10

Only because the ending was a bit poor, here was a pretty hardcore hitman who destroyed a heavyweight cage fighter and couldnt beat a middle age, slightly tubby, cop/doctor...

Caporegime

Aliens is as good as the first, but it's a different genre and it's doing different things. Alien is an incredibly taut, minimalist hard sci-fi horror film. Aliens is an overwhelming action film.

Caporegime
The Life of David Gale - 7/10.

Decent thriller let down by too much political emphasis and strange editing.
Seemed like the film also lacked some focus and instead spread itself slightly too thin.
Having said that it was certainly enjoyable and not that far from being a very good film.

I found that film really frustrating. It's trying to make all these big points about the death penalty, etc, but it totally neuters itself with the final twist.

Seven Pounds - 8/10

I saw the ending coming a mile off...

Associate
Martyrs N/A / 10
Why on earth did I watch that. It's well put together but there is no way I could ever recommend anybody watch that film. God I breezed through Audition, Funny Games and even Irreversible without too many issues but Martyrs was too much.

Caporegime
Martyrs N/A / 10
Why on earth did I watch that. It's well put together but there is no way I could ever recommend anybody watch that film. God I breezed through Audition, Funny Games and even Irreversible without too many issues but Martyrs was too much.

What's the level of trauma? Much worse than the shock factor in A Serbian Film?

Permabanned
Watched Alex Cross last night. Not bad although the film was stolen by Matthew Fox as the hit man. I thought the guy that was playing Alex Cross was a bit, meh. I kinda wished tho that Matthew Fox had played the same character in a bigger film as he was a great bad guy.

7/10

Only because the ending was a bit poor, here was a pretty hardcore hitman who destroyed a heavyweight cage fighter and couldnt beat a middle age, slightly tubby, cop/doctor...

I forgot to list Alex Cross. I was very impressed with the movie. Not a super A list blockbuster but very good considering.

Associate
What's the level of trauma? Much worse than the shock factor in A Serbian Film?

I struggled to take A Serbian Film too seriously. It was all so ludicrous that the horrors I was watching on screen were all through the nice comfy filter of 'I'm watching a movie'. Martrys felt horribly real and was all the more depressing for it.

Back
Top Bottom