What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
The Flash - 7/10 surprisingly good. The humour seemd balanced although I can imagine Barry Allen is a bit marmite. A little too CGI heavy in places where practical effects could have worked. Super Girl was good, the fan service cameos were good. The Flashpoint story was surprisingly strong and had a few decent emotional pay offs. Compared to Idiana Jones and the Dismal Destiny this was rather good and didn't deserve to be such a flop, Warners really cocked up there. If this had been made and released shortly after Man of Steel or Justice League it would have been so much better.

Associate
The Flash - 7/10 surprisingly good. The humour seemd balanced although I can imagine Barry Allen is a bit marmite. A little too CGI heavy in places where practical effects could have worked. Super Girl was good, the fan service cameos were good. The Flashpoint story was surprisingly strong and had a few decent emotional pay offs. Compared to Idiana Jones and the Dismal Destiny this was rather good and didn't deserve to be such a flop, Warners really cocked up there. If this had been made and released shortly after Man of Steel or Justice League it would have been so much better.

Couldn't get past the terrible CGI in that falling scene with the baby.

Soldato
Midsommar (2019) - 8/10

Wow, not quite sure what to say about this. It's quite possibly the weirdest and most absurd film I have ever seen, and yet despite being two and a half hours long and slow paced it kept me utterly gripped throughout.
Really did not like this movie the first time i saw it, would have gave it a 2/10.

A lot of people i know said it was fantastic and could not understand why i hated it so much, so i gave it a second viewing and got to say i enjoyed it more than last time.

Still not fantastic, but will give it a 6/10 now.

Perhaps i should give The Shining another go, as i thought that was a bit crap as well. :D

Man of Honour
Finestkind (2023)

While the synopsis for the film isn't particularly exciting and the story isn't very original. It was decent watch with some good performances.

I did comment to my wife that it felt like a Yellowstone story with trawler men and it turns out Taylor Sheridan was one of the producers.

7/10

Soldato
Love Liza (2002). A neighbour recommended it, due to the soundtrack by Jim O'Rourke. I noted that Phillip Seymour Hoffman plays the lead.

A surprisingly funny movie about a man dealing with the immediate aftermath of his wife's suicide. He just wants to huff petrol and play with RC planes in peace. Brisk 100 mins. Stephen Toblowsky makes a usual blink and you miss him appearance, with Kathy Bates doing some heavy lifting as well. But it's PSH shouldering the whole thing and he makes it a joy to watch. Knowing what we know now about his personal demons, perhaps that's why he inhabits this role so well.

Well worth an evening viewing. 10/10

Associate
Am I becoming an old fuddy duddy or is it simply that older films are just superior in many ways?

We saved the new Indiana Jones film for Christmas day and watched the big budget Netflix Rebel Moon for new years. Both instantly forgettable and rubbish. Half the time I was on my phone.

Even though I have seen them a gazillion times we also re-watched Jaws and Die Hard. Didn't pick up my phone once. From the music to the acting and story telling. Both superb.
So you picked two crappy sci fi and action adventures films and compared them to some of the best films ever?

Back
Top Bottom