What game did you play last?

Soldato
Got Scythe out for the first time in a while last night. Came second as Albion, missing out on my own sixth star by one move and losing to Rusviet solely due to Factory control. I could have won, possibly - certainly if Saxony had taken the Factory when they had the chance - but it was close regardless.

Then we played The Game with three and scored 4, which isn't bad with two first time players.

Commissario
I played a starter game of Necromunda earlier, which was pleasantly fast and easy.

I think I'm going to get a gang going for it, although they may have to wait as I am getting a bloodbowl team assembled/painted.

Soldato
Friday night light gaming: I really can't remember. Iquazu came out and was well received, along with a couple of rounds of The Game which went ... less well than on Wednesday. Magic Maze would have hit the table but two potential players had panic attacks at the thought of someone tapping a big red pawn on the table in front of them.

Sunday I was late so missed the warmup games. We played Dragonsgate College, the dice drafting game of sending Harry Potter and friends to certain death, followed by Libertalia. I haven't played Libertalia in ages, having sold my copy for shelf space (in fact, it was my old copy we played). It really is a good game and I'm wondering if I should have made the space some other way.

Associate
Played T.I.M.E Stories on the weekend. We really enjoyed it, was quite intuitive to play although we did make a few mistakes.

We were doing well but just ran out of time. Still cant quite figure out what is going on and what we need to do. Cant wait to play it again to see how far we can get.

Soldato
No posts in a month, what the heck?

Sunday I got Yamatai and Caylus to the table. We finished off with a quick game of Ugg-Tect, which was new to everyone. Two teams race to build monuments according to patterns seen only by the captains, who communicate solely through gestures and a language of seven words - one of which is being hit on the head with a club. Everyone thought it was hilarious and wants to play again next week.

Soldato
Spent the last week gaming.

Did all 10 maps of Zombicide: Green Horde. A nice new mechanic made that more interesting.

The Others came out twice as it's been a while. Last gasp attempts won that each time. Not one I'm overly keen on though.

Escape The Dark Castle is our current go to quick filler game. We've still not managed it.

Pandemic Legacy season 2. We're into August now, lost 1 character and only a couple of cities so far. Still a way to go.

Massive Darkness is progressing slowly now we've introduced everything. More time consuming than Zombicide.

Zombicide: Black Plague has been started again with everything. Absolute chaos after Abominations forced us to change our plans.

Associate
Ricochet Robots a few time in the past couple of weeks and Majesty.

Also got two games fairs this weekend, one called Spiel Doch in Duisburg germany, and another called Ratinger Spieletage. shame they're at the same weekend but will do a day of each and then choose which was better for the sunday.

Soldato
Ricochet Robots a few time in the past couple of weeks and Majesty.

Also got two games fairs this weekend, one called Spiel Doch in Duisburg germany, and another called Ratinger Spieletage. shame they're at the same weekend but will do a day of each and then choose which was better for the sunday.

I'd probably go with Spiel Doch on the basis that I've heard of it (and no, I'm not confusing it with Spiel).

Associate
Yeah both look good, spiel doch is new this year at landshafts park. But the other Ratinger has been going 7 years I think. I reckon it's just better advertising and more popular magazine publisher that helps. We shall see at the weekend though, well Friday first and then sat for the other :)

Looking forward to trying the new Hans im Gluck game there and getting the carcasonne fruit tree mini expansion early.

Soldato
Talisman 4th Edition. Played with all corner expansions plus the Blood Moon small expansion. Only the second time getting to play with all expansions since recently discovering and loving the game. So much so that I had to buy all the main expansions at a cost of £600 given a lot them are out of print plus the additional cost of importing stuff from the US is shocking! Been playing Talisman for 3 hours almost every night though with my daughter for the past couple of months so the cost per hour ratio will soon be a pittance.

Associate
Catan is a classic for that very reason, its enjoyable, easy to pick up and some of the expansions vastly change the game and add extra challenge for those who are proficient in the vanilla game.

Spent last week at Spiel Doch and Ratinger Spiele, played a fair few games, it was good to be able to actually play the new ones and not spend half the time fighting for a seat like at Essen.

Race to the New Found Land, Hans im Gluck. Good game, nice that you can have multiple ways/gaming styles to score points. you have to watch what everyone is doing trading and where they are expanding to know the best course of action. looks open to a pirate expansion in the future, as there was no stealing mechanic or failed trades so that could be a new element. Ended up buying it and already played it again and still enjoyed it.

Zambezi, Burley games. Family game where you flow down a river avoiding obstacles such as crocodiles and rocks. A bit of fun and nothing too taxing on the brain. a good family game for sure and up to 8 can play.

Seringeti. Deck builder with fantastic art work, designer has tried to avoid the constant reshuffle of dominion and instead gone for balance and utilising abilities efficiently rather than stacking a deck with 1 powerful card.

Luxor-Forgotten Treasures, Queen games. Good fun game, was a kickstarter which should be sending out in July or so but they had masses of stock, regret not buying a copy. Interesting movement dynamic which is based of cards so not random, worked well, then its about artifact collection and maximising position for final points. Works well and again nothing too stressful with some thought but not to intense.

Moorea, DLP games. a lot like splendor or Century spice road. but lacking the clever dynamic and balance of the latter. This was boring, it's a race to collect the draw and hand enhancement cards. Who ever gets there first will then have an advantage over the others and can stack the points too rapidly for others to catch up, then it just drags on until the end. It's a shame as I like this style of game usually but this falls short.

Lost Cities, Kosmos. This was a bit dull tbh. you move your characters along paths towards the lost cities. Final points are gained from the meeples positions. first 3 steps on every path are negative. The movement comes from building decks of cards from your hand which correspond to the colour of the path. Lacks any real strategy beyond limiting yourself to maybe 3 paths. the game ends when 5 meeple are beyond a certain point and this doesn't take long enough to allow full exploration. The added rules expect you to play multiple rounds and then compare points which too me made it repetitive and Dull. Its a shame as Kosmos is usually solid.

Igloo Mania. Fun family game, u remove pieces of an igloo and score points whilst trying to stop the polar bear from sinking, bit of fun but would be great as a new drinking Jenga.

Samsara, Thomas Weber, Gerhards Spiel and Design. Amazingly crafted game, 2 player, the aim is to gain points by moving your balls around a track. The twist is all balls can be moved by any person, so your opponent has many opportunities to stop you from being able to score. Its a good thinker and looks fantastic. Gerhard have the license for production and make other amazing wooden board games.

Heblo. This I am actually including a link for, its fantastic. Its a dynamic abstract strategy. The aim is to remove your balls from the board or have all of the ramps pointing down. Balls can only roll down a ramp or side step across ramps. The board is made of a series of seesaw like planks which u guide the balls along. (difficult to explain and poorly done here) but its a heavily tactical game and requires a chess level of thinking and dynamic. also the construction is amazing. http://www.heblo.eu/

Soldato
Just had a game evening with the wife and some of the extended family.

Played Catan which after some initial eyebrow raising when I set it up everyone loved it and it was a hit.

Then had a game of Pandemic in which we lost but was fun enough, bad choice of characters cost us on that front.

Then had a very quick (and unfortunately unfinished) game of Dracula's Feast which I got through a Kickstarter. After the initial rule confusion it seems like it will be fantastic fun and catching up on sunday to play it through properly

Associate
Played a game of Takenoko last night. A nice light game to enjoy.

29597867_10156077371501287_8723338476480146530_n.jpg

29571367_10156077466776287_7985689090702506310_n.jpg

Soldato
Shorter than usual Sunday session. Played Antarctica and for once absolutely crushed it, ending the game with a 20-point margin when I was able to set up four actions in a row and control almost everything I went for. I think now I have a handle on the scoring I'll win most times I play.

After that was a first and probably only run at Calimala. Interesting mechanic - you never recall your workers, and they act again as other workers are placed on top until they finally retire into area control and trigger scoring. The game ends when 15 workers retire or everyone has placed 15 workers. Unfortunately, the retirement mechanic incentivises everyone to play to the same place and if you want to do something else you'll get left behind. This is probably less of a problem with the maximum five players, but we were playing with the minimum three.

Soldato
Had another game of Catan which was frustrating as sin with the wife's extended family. They just spent the game ganging up on me and blocking me out with the bandit constantly.

I smiled but secretly wanted to smash a chair over their head as it was for no reason other than being family :p

Back
Top Bottom