What game did you play last?

Soldato
Played some Welcome To The Dungeon over the weekend, a game where adventurers boast of how they could defeat a dungeon of six monsters even without their shield until someone calls their bluff.

Mechanics are similar to Perudo. It's a game of bluffing, calculation and limited knowledge. Takes about 30 minutes to play and costs less than £10.

Associate
Me and my niece cracked open the new collectors edition of Tokaido from their KickStarter the other day and had a good game of that, they've done a lovely job on the production of the new miniatures, large game board and tokens.
We both went for different tactics, where my niece focussed on completing the paintings whilst I was collecting gifts and donating to the temple as much as I could... in the end the paintings won by only 4 points.

Also had a fun game of Wok Star at my gaming club on Tuesday which went quite well, it was a very close game with us barely scraping enough money together to succeed. Really nice and quick to learn game for those who are into co-operative boardgames.

Last edited:
Soldato
My and my niece cracked open the new collectors edition of Tokaido from their KickStarter the other day and had a good game of that, they've done a lovely job on the production of the new miniatures, large game board and tokens.

You've got yours? Last I heard Collectors' wasn't shipping until at least the end of the month.

Soldato
Thats been on my wishlist for a while now as it sounded interesting.
How is it?
Could you compare it to anything?

A very, very bad game. The rulebook sucks, it's 100% quarterbackable, and there are several major design flaws that the designer was warned about in advance but completely ignored.

Associate
Played Talisman with the Grim reaper and fireland expansion the other night, this was the first game with the firelands, the firelands added another little mechanic to the game which did make it harder which was quite fun and the terrain cards worked well.

I know people on here don't like Talisman much but we do enjoy a game every month or so :) just takes a while to complete.

Got dungeon saga to try and some point too :D

Associate
I got to introduce a couple of the members of my gaming club to Castle Panic and Betrayal at House on the Hill last night.
Betrayal's one of my favourite games to play with new players as there's no telling who's going to betray the group, when it will happen or which of the 50 scenarios will be triggered.

We started out with a very tense game of Betrayal which had almost all of the adventurers getting somewhat injured before one of us triggered the haunt and unleashing Frankenstein monster on the group. Within two rounds one of us was dead, then immediately after my character was gone... the remaining two innocent players barely managed to salvage the victory.

Castle Panic went shockingly in favour of our group, the first couple of rounds caused a bit of worry when one of the players immediately pulled out the tokens for 'draw 3 more monsters' and then 'draw 4 more monsters' so we had a mass flood of things to fight and lost two of our castle towers in the early game. After that point we were able to co-ordinate and planned our defence to prevent any more losses beyond losing all of our outer walls.

Soldato
I got 'Takenoko' for Christmas, so have played a few fun games of that recently. Fairly simple and good fun.

Also played a couple of games of 'Lords of Waterdeep', owned by friends, which I've managed to enjoy even though getting battered in each game. It's gone on my Wish List.

Have also played a couple of games of 'Machi Koro' which I didn't enjoy so much. Both times I didn't get any rolls early on, then it seems those that did get the rolls just get to build a better income and there's no catching them...

Soldato
OP
My daughter has decided to complete the CCG circle and decided to get addicted to the YuGiOh original series on Netflix, picked up the Yuya/Declan 2 player starter set and although we are only playing with 21 cards each compared to the normal 40+ it was a very enjoyable game and well balanced.

the math is a bit more complex then Pokémon or Cardfight Vangard but never to a point of too difficult for her and the flow of the game went really well.

I still think I prefer MTG but i think shes a bit too young just yet.

Associate
Tried the Firefly board game yesterday.

A 4 player game (all new players, I pre-read the rules to act as Rules Bear) using the standard story they suggest (king of all Londinium, I think?) took about 4.5 hours.

The game itself is fun, the flavour is strong, but I think that the particular story card we played is a bit odd - the first objective is quite hard (has a big cash minimum) but the other two are relatively easy, so once someone got the first objective they kinda ran away with it.

All round a fun game though, I'd say 7/10 or an 8.5/10 if you're a fan of the series.

Mat

Mat

Soldato
I don't play many table top games but recently I've played Love Letters which is an awesome card game, very quick to learn and play. There are only 16 cards in the whole deck :p

Soldato
^^^ Pedant: 15 cards. It's a good filler. If you like it, you may want to check out Kobayakawa. Also 15 cards, but very different - it's a push your luck betting game.

Also played a couple of games of 'Lords of Waterdeep', owned by friends, which I've managed to enjoy even though getting battered in each game. It's gone on my Wish List.

Lords of Waterdeep is the current My First Worker Placement game. I'd stick with playing your friends copy (or the app version, if you already have an iPad) until you get a handle on it then score either Caylus (which LOW replaced) or Viticulture, which is slightly deeper but much better.

I'm with you all the way on Machi Koro, though. I won my last (expanded + Market Row variant) game handily by setting up a super-combo that gave me upwards of $20 every time I rolled a 10+, but I don't like it much.

Soldato
Lords of Waterdeep is great if only for the fact that all of the game pieces fit nicely into the provided box tray. Wish more companies (*cough* Fantasy Flight *cough*) would follow suit.

Back
Top Bottom