What game did you play last?

Associate
Last week we finally finished imperial assault (we had to stop so I could paint the minis),awesome game though and we have already started the campaign again adn it's my time to be the overlord muhahahaha.

Also got the rest of my zombicide black plague pledge come through so had a massive game with all the expansion packs and big enemies,also received side quest(another Kickstarter project) which we have played a few times ,it's a really cool little pocket size dungeon crawler.

And a few games of roll for the galaxy and some batman love letter!

Hopefully having a boardgaming day today after work.

Soldato
How much replay value does Tokaido have? I've been eyeing it up for a while now...

The base game is super-light with few meaningful decisions. I played it once and wouldn't play it again. Expanded with Crossroads and Matsuri it becomes a light, relaxing way to kill an hour or so. I've had it out three or four times already, it will probably become a once a month thing now it's no longer new to everyone.

Soldato
OP
Had a game of Takenoko yesterday afternoon and was really impressed, there are no outstanding moments and its relatively light but it was a very nice relaxing hour of play, although you are playing to win the fact you have no idea what the other player is trying to score with means there is no real conflict and a lot of the time you end up helping your opponent inadvertently.

it also looks very nice on the table :)

Soldato
Got three games in last night.

First up was a debut run for Via Nebula, Martin Wallace's new game that I got for my birthday. Nice game of contract fulfilment where you can't help but help other players.

Second was Viticulture Essential Edition. An old favourite for us, first time playing with this version as we normally play my copy with more of the Tuscany modules. Everything came absolutely right for me and I skunked the other two players, scoring a ridiculous 14 points in year 6.

Then, Cthulhu Wars. Ah, Cthulhu Wars. Tentacles everywhere. I was Black Goat against Sleeper, Opener and the big green dude himself, all in the hands of newbies. Cthulhu spread too fast early on against my advice instead of capturing a cultist from Sleeper and it cost him the chance to summon his GOO early, but everyone else caught on to the tricks of their faction pretty quickly. I ended up tying with Opener for the win on 32 with Sleeper on 30 and Cthulhu coming up hindmost on 24, but Cthulhu did have awful luck with his Elder Signs (which were all 1s). I could have won outright if I hadn't forgotten to use Blood Offering on the last turn for an extra Elder Sign, but by the same token Sleeper made a big slip when he attacked my Dark Young with Tsathoggua to clear a gate instead of using Capture Monster. If he'd done it the other way he would have had an extra Elder Sign from Rituals and I would have lost 2 points from gate control.

We wrapeed up the evening with two rounds of ONUW, which both went horribly wrong due to someone not understanding the rules or failing to read their role card. Sigh.

Caporegime
Ticket to Ride:Europe is so addictive! And one that the missus seems to want to play even more than I do! (result!)

I played that with my 10 year old yesterday. I beat her, but probably only because she lost track of something and started a route that turned out to be no use.

I also played Carcassonne with the 10 year old and 7 year old. Still playing without farms - too much for them just yet, I think.

I finally dug out Hive and played that with the 10 year old. I've had it for ages, but it's not one the wife is keen on playing, so it's been sat in the cupboard. Neither my daughter nor I had played it before, so it was a learning experience for both of us. I beat her twice and she beat me once. She did well with it, played a few moves that caught me completely off guard and disrupted my plans. It seems like a good game.

She also made me play Monopoly Junior. It's definitely good preparation for playing full on grown up Monopoly, insofar as it's incredibly tedious...

Soldato
Played Castles of Mad King Ludwig for the first time on Sunday. It's much better than I expected, given that I don't like auction mechanics.

Via Nebula got its third runout in seven days, for the first time with four. It is really, really nice.

Soldato
OP
A weekend off from the kids but as money is short we have had a day in playing some games.

First game of adventure time card wars and we were both very surprised how much we enjoyed the game

Did the first mission on zombicide black plague but due to needing to kill an abomination it took nearly 2 hours as the first torch was about 2/3 down the search deck so we ended up running around hacking zombies up and running in buildings to search so we could finish off the abomination.

Finished with a lazy game of ticket to ride as it's always a simple game to finishow on and never any real stress.

Plan to get a game of blood rage in tomorrow morning and maybe descent with the app tomorrow evening once the girls are home and in bed.

Soldato
Played Castles of Burgundy recently, I liked it! :)

Long game though, took a while as we were learning how things went as we played it. it's the kind of game that I would love a proper good quality board for, the one you get is OK but it would be amazing with a high quality one with cutouts of the tiles and things.

Got Kingsburg also will play that soon hopefully.

Soldato
Last Tuesday was Via Nebula (its final runout for a while) and Tokaido, because I forgot to bring one of the boxes for Eldritch Horror and found I'd left all the Encounter decks at home. It's now on the menu for tonight. Or we are.

Sunday was all new stuff. First was two games of Town Center, a fast cube drafting game where you're trying to develop the best city centre. You have to make sure you have enough cash to build offices and any power plants or elevators you can't get from the draft, while also growing your residential areas so that you'll score points at the end. Plays solo in 15-20 minutes or up to 4 in an hour or less.

After that was a game of Trajan, Stefan Feld's highly rated development game which plays in about 25-30 minutes per player. You have six bowls, each representing an action - military, construction, politics, trade etc. There are 12 markers of six different colours, two in each bowl at the start. Each turn you pick up all the markers in one bowl and drop them off one at a time; the bowl where you drop the last marker is the action you take. You can also get bonuses for taking an action with two markers of specific colours in the bowl. But the game is time limited by the number of markers moved, and if you move too many too quickly you could find yourself unable to meet the people's demands - costing you precious VPs. It's a really strong game that just now came back into print, and I highly recommend it for people who like their games a bit deeper.

Caporegime
I've played 3 games of Seven Wonders: Duel with my ten year old over the past couple of days. I beat her twice, she beat me once. The rules look pretty overwhelming, but it makes sense once you start playing and it's really good! It's really tense and you're always looking ahead at what's coming and trying to figure out what to aim for and what you're going to be compromising on. There's a lot to balance and there's lots of opportunities for resource denial and for making your opponent's life hard.

Yeah, it's really good. Recommended.

Associate
Marvel Legendary, fun (if you like deck building and Marvel) and relaxing co-op game. Also had Star Wars LCG and Lord of the Rings LCG core sets delivered. Late to the party with those, but looking forward to them - especially Lord of the Rings for the co-operative element.

Soldato
Last night I played Mare Nostrum: Empires, which was very good. I could possibly have won if I'd played less conservatively, but I lost to a surprise Pyramids victory the turn before I was able to buy them myself. After that was Valley of the Kings (well received, the second version was requested for next week) and a bit more Port Royal, which on repeat plays turns out to be less snowbally than I thought. It can be hard to catch up if you fall behind, but a good start doesn't mean an inevitable victory.

Back
Top Bottom