What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
Had the same on wifes Toyota Paseo years ago - I was fortunate the oil filter was on front of the engine with good access.

A half day job in old days has taken me two days of on and off cleaning - not up to it anymore - even so it comes up well for a 9yr old Focus - first clean for 2-3 months.

414062759.jpg

Soldato
Thanks chaps. I did want one of the cup type tools but they only had either straps or claws. I've had the same chain tool for about 15 years so perhaps it's time I upgraded. Am I right in thinking that the cup tools increase their grip the more force you put in?

Kei

Kei

Soldato
Sorted out the sooty/grubby looking exhaust trim and the scratches to the dials today. Used brasso on it which seemed to do the trick. The black on the exhaust trim was so well adhered to the trim that I ended up having to crack out the 1200 wet & dry paper to get it off. Finished it off with a quick go over with SRP to clear the residual brasso off and then two coats of finishkare 1000P sealant. There was already significant signs of pitting around the inner rim and lower edge, which would probably require starting out at 180/240 grit and working through the papers to remove, which, IMO, is a bit too much time & effort for a tailpipe.

Dials got some brasso too also followed by SRP, which got rid of all the swirly scratches on the plexi front. Not sure if it was a valet in the past or the previous owner that did that to it.

Soldato
that front splitter is awful:(

It's a test - I want the Verus Engineering one, but at approx 700 quid I didn't want to spend out to smash it to bits within an hour or so.

https://www.verus-engineering.com/product-page/zn6-street-front-splitter

This one is similar to the Verus but nowhere near as expensive at 90 quid second hand. So, if I bin it it's not the end of the world. If I've not smashed it up within 6 months or so I know I can get a Verus. It's a functional device rather than one that's designed to look good and the effect at speed is quite noticeable. Each to their own.

Kei

Kei

Soldato
Dials got some brasso too also followed by SRP, which got rid of all the swirly scratches on the plexi front. Not sure if it was a valet in the past or the previous owner that did that to it.

So you just used a swirl remover on the dials? as I need to do mine.
Yes, brasso metal polish followed by some autoglym super resin polish to remove any residual marks from the more abrasive metal polish. The autoglym on it's own may be enough depending on the severity of the scratches. Mine looked like they'd been attacked by a washing up sponge.

Last edited:
Associate
If it wasn’t your kids then it was someone with not a lot to do with there time! Idiots! Someone parked really close to my and I had my eye on them but never thought much, came out of the shop and they had drove off and scratched there car along my back bumper! White car v blue car

mjt

mjt

Soldato
The car's only been to supermarkets this week. Could have been one of mine I suppose though; my 18-month-old is feral.

Back
Top Bottom