What have you done to your car today?

That would be splendid! It looks like a great unit and you can make it illuminate green which would match my dash :cool:

I reckon I could get £180 for my current head unit (IDA-X305) and Imprint unit too, assuming all the parametric EQ and crossover stuff is integrated into this new one.

Shame it doesn't have DAB :(

Wouldn't you be better off with a decent navigation unit? Don't see the point in single DIN stuff these days - Mondeo would look pretty good with a high end double DIN?

That would be splendid! It looks like a great unit and you can make it illuminate green which would match my dash :cool:

I reckon I could get £180 for my current head unit (IDA-X305) and Imprint unit too, assuming all the parametric EQ and crossover stuff is integrated into this new one.

Shame it doesn't have DAB :(

Doesn't seem to be many that are DAB and those that are seem quite highly priced.

I did consider double din but it's a bit of effort for what may be a short term solution if I change car within the next year. I still have the original BMW professional CD unit and bits so would have to restore the CC unit to the top and put it all back to stock before selling.

Not worth the extra cost and hassle for me anyway. Perhaps for you though as Fox says?

Head unit upgrade ordered, collecting tomorrow. About time I had bluetooth streaming, means one less storage medium to sync up with when adding music. Also nav through car speakers and calls.

This (with amber light theme):
ANCDE-178BT_800.jpg

Alpine IDE-178BT

Can't bring myself to do it to the E46 Dash

It doesn't look anywhere near as bad as some people seem to make out as many will confirm who have seen mine at meets etc. And besides, I'd rather stick an arrow through my ears than live with the stock head unit sound quality.

[TW]Fox;24526040 said:
Wouldn't you be better off with a decent navigation unit? Don't see the point in single DIN stuff these days - Mondeo would look pretty good with a high end double DIN?

I'd love to but I can't bring myself to spend £7-800 on the unit I'd want :(

High quality standard double-DIN units without nav cost £3-400, but you add that little bit of GPS functionality...

OCUK whip-round? :p

Last edited:
[TW]Fox;24525910 said:
Completely agree.

And to be honest the only speed cameras worth detecting are mobile vans - which this won't until its too late.

If you need a device to tell you there is a GATSO beside the road are you really paying enough attention to be speeding :p

I agree that they're not particularly useful for the gatsos on normal roads, but as a lot of motorways now have gantree mounted gatsos I find it incredibly useful - I usually only turn mine on when I'm on the motorway

Pointless buying double din without nav IMHO.

You could buy a previous generation Pioneer Avic for around £400 - £500 from fleabay.

Depends what car you have. A double din satnav in a MK3 Mondeo is a bad idea to me as it is to far down the dash. There for, you would have to take your attention off of the road to look at it.

I don't see the point in a independent nav/ stereo nav now we all have iPhones, Galaxy S's, well....Smart phones. Simply download a satnav and stick your phone in the window whilst on charge.

Depends what car you have. A double din satnav in a MK3 Mondeo is a bad idea to me as it is to far down the dash. There for, you would have to take your attention off of the road to look at it.

I don't see the point in a independent nav/ stereo nav now we all have iPhones, Galaxy S's, well....Smart phones. Simply download a satnav and stick your phone in the window whilst on charge.

This is what I do, TomTom app and cradle for the iPhone.

You can even plug an AUX cable into the cradle to play mp3s.

The only downside I've found is that I get alternator whine through the speakers but this may be due to a dodgy 12v socket more than anything.

It doesn't look anywhere near as bad as some people seem to make out as many will confirm who have seen mine at meets etc. And besides, I'd rather stick an arrow through my ears than live with the stock head unit sound quality.

It does look alright, and the sound quality is a vast improvement over stock!

Finally sorted out the complete lack of cupholders.

89cb17N.jpg

Bought cupholders first and completely forgot about the coin holder, so had to go back and get that after :(

Yesterday the car also received new rear pads, a brake fluid change, and had the handbrake adjusted. An order has also been placed to have new F1A2's put on the rears next Thursday to replace the mis-matched and low-tread tyres the PO had put on.

Back
Top Bottom