What have you done to your car today?

Don
Expensive day yesterday - 4x New tyres on Wife's Countryman

(Car needs a good wash at the weekend :))

QUTmbgP.jpeg

Last edited:
Soldato
Big service on the M140i at BMW, sparks, oil and filter, air filter, micro filter, brake fluid… some 4yr car check. £622, ouch.

Good news is that the rest is doing well, tyres great, pads back and front still 50-60% remaining. It’s still looking ‘in my opinion’ fresh inside and out

I went back to the standard exhaust recently too rather than the MPE… perhaps showing my age, but I like the quieter start up and driving about now!

Worst point is a tiny bit of damage on the front bumper… always been there in my ownership, and some stone chips. Might get it re-sprayed. Any suggestions for good body shops in and around Glasgow??

Last edited:

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Big service on the M140i at BMW, sparks, oil and filter, air filter, micro filter, brake fluid… some 4yr car check. £622, ouch.
DIY would be 1/4 of that cost. :p I would get the injectors checked, common failure and if overlooked can get expensive really quickly.

Spark plugs are a bit of a faff tho..
PXL-20210623-185958729.jpg
PXL-20210623-222011204.jpg

PXL-20210622-195338086.jpg

Prep work for Stage 2, if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
Soldato
DIY would be 1/4 of that cost. :p I would get the injectors checked, common failure and if overlooked can get expensive really quickly.

Spark plugs are a bit of a faff tho..
PXL-20210623-185958729.jpg
PXL-20210623-222011204.jpg

PXL-20210622-195338086.jpg

Prep work for Stage 2, if I remember correctly.

I know, I’m usually not adverse to oil, sparks, etc. even down to alternators and such. But it was my first ‘nice’ car and want to keep it fully BMW serviced. Don’t feel it’s old enough to lapse into self or random garage servicing yet… despite how potentially better and cheaper that could be!

Last edited:

IC3

IC3

Soldato
I know, I’m usually not adverse to oil, sparks, etc. even down to alternators and such. But it was my first ‘nice’ car and want to keep it fully BMW serviced. Don’t feel it’s old enough to lapse into self or random garage servicing yet… despite how potentially better and cheaper that could be!
I usually give the car in for a service if its under warranty, soon as its outside the warranty its DIY, I've a few mates with licenses to update the service history on the cloud. Usually pop around on a Friday with pizza and some beers. :D

Seeing how some staff rag customers cars, I don't trust anyone anymore. Once my M140i went in for tyres to my local Costco, I saw how the guy was revving it before bombing it down the car park on cold engine, the manager saw it too. They apologised, but its not on... I always treat other peoples property with bigger caution than my own, I suppose it depends how someone was brought up.

Last edited:
Soldato
also did my spark plugs, i run coppers so quite used to doing this now!
Fu3Mere.jpeg

I need to repaint the rocker cover/s but not sure on the colour, blacks a bit plain :D gonna go back to black vac lines as well, red seemed like a good idea at the time.

Soldato
Hit a badger last night, it’s pushed some of the lower edge bumper clips out of place and the front right wheel arch liner has half ripped off, guess it went under the wheel, with the badger, and pinned to the road. Inspection in day light coming up.

Caporegime
Today on Acme's Akagi's motor co. the Alto Works has rod knock and I'm waiting for rod bearings and plastigauge to arrive, and I found a new hole on the E30 rotted right through the tailgate under the corner of the glass, which I have stabbed at, treated with vactan, painted liberally with direct to rust paint, and filled with silkaflex... :p

Caporegime
Found a not inconsiderable rot... The corner of the rear screen wasn't even held down, cos the metal it bonds to doesn't exist. :p

Oz80ug3.jpeg

Lots of poking, vactan rust converting milkshake, lots of rust converting paint, some silkaflex, and a bit of dulux. :p

5Hv1OQ9.jpeg

4Qi2Cch.jpeg

Caporegime
I should add that I have a new tailgate glass, and when the car goes in for its work they will be removing all this to repair the rust anyway, alternatively I also have a spare tailgate available. :p

This is mainly just to stop water getting in the boot...

(The Dulux instead of proper spray paint is just because its funny.) @Steeps

Last edited:

mjt

mjt

Soldato
After being royally raped on a £1000 service from Audi (including over £100 for a pollen filter I can buy online £30), I then proceeded to rip the clamps off the engine cover because I forget it was clamped down :(
I wanted to check if they had replaced/tightened the air filter. Turns out it doesn't get replaced until 90,000 km or 6 years! Anyway, expensive mistake on my part...

New engine cover ordered - £300!!!! FML.

PtVIXpl.png
The guy at the dealer scuffed it on a display cabinet carrying it to my car, and then I dropped it on the ground :mad:

He gave me 15% off though, so not too bad in the end, but still an expensive mistake!

Caporegime
Purchased and installed a bespoke sound system in the E30 so I can listen to podcasts ahead of an upcoming long trip.

BtLke5I.png

In seriousness, I could have probably wired in a head unit (I have a couple of retro HU's in their boxes) and then used a bluetooth to FM adapter to use the Alpine speakers I installed a few years ago...
But I decided that a bluetooth speaker was a better idea for some reason. :p (I was on a tight schedule before the trip!)

This Anker Soundcore 2 is actually really impressive for such a tiny device. It goes surprisingly loud with absolutely no distortion, and it actually has "some" body to it. Not a lot obviously, but enough to be surprised for £26.

Last edited:
Soldato
I wanted to check if they had replaced/tightened the air filter. Turns out it doesn't get replaced until 90,000 km or 6 years! Anyway, expensive mistake on my part...
I had a B service done the other week and they only inspected the air filter instead of replacing it, car has only done 5714 miles and is just over 5 years old. In fact the air filter isn’t even on the service checklist at all.

I know most people simply replace it when doing a diy service.

Reactions: mjt
Back
Top Bottom