What have you done to your car today?

Ouch... what are your plans for it?

It's a 2004 Volvo S60 D5 that I just bought for scrap value as I was nearly sure this was the problem so plans are to throw in another engine. It's too nice a car not to fix, seems to have a lot of the option boxes ticked and overall it's not a huge job in the scheme of things! These engines are deemed incredibly reliable and it's pretty much the only failure like this I've seen (timing belt didn't snap and was well within interval change)... Ah well, nice project for Christmas!

Cambelt, waterpump, coolant, rocker gasket, fan belt and windscreen washer pump sorted today.

New exhaust going on next week (got a bigger downpipe/precat removal fitted already), silicon boost hoses, better air filter and crossover pipe delete so direct feed to turbo on their way, just had oil & filter and spark plugs etc done the other week. Brake fluid and gearbox oil to complete all servicing and then remap time :)

Although I am gonna get new rear axle bushes and ARB droplinks on soon as they're a bit worse for wear. Nothing to worry about just yet I guess but if I know they're not quite bang on I'll be itching to get them done.

Still pretty pleased by time it will all be done it will be at VXR performance for a bit over 3 grand all in and no less maintenance will be bang on to boot :)

heartsurgery.jpg

Had mine jump started by the nice breakdown man!

Battery was just a little low, and didn't quite have enough to start the car so we had a natter while it charged a little and he checked the charge from the alternator (14.56!)

Might still have a duff battery, but we'll see. It's the original GM one and is 7 years old so it's done well.

Washed it and fitted a new rear number plate because the old one was getting quite tatty. I've got a new one for the front as well, but the current front plate is pretty tidy at the moment, so I won't put the new one on the front for now.

I stuck my car back in the garage last night. Had been in there for a month but had to come out for a day as I had a bit of a road tax issue on the daily drive Accord (no reg No on the MOT??).
Can't see it coming out again till at least Feb/Mar unless the Accord needs a service.

Today I found out that one of my rear tyres, which are barely a month old, now has a nice big screw stuck in it. So close to the sidewall that it can't be repaired.

New tyre tomorrow, plus another 2 for the fronts I'd been meaning to upgrade.

Annoyed isn't the word. No punctures in 8 years of driving, then I get my second one a month after replacing a tyre due to my first one, in one of the same tyres.

Think I'll go and have a little cry :/

That happened to me with my last civic, I managed to convince the guy just to plug it and if/when it went I'd buy the new conti from him. Lasted many months actually

I started reassembling my front end today, both lights and grille now look right again

Do you have a spare in the GT86? Or a pump and can of foam like the MX5?

I got my car back today after having the inlet manifold replaced - I had an issue with the inlet shutter control (for the variable length runners) this has caused me some problems before when having the car tuned. When I had uprated cams installed it was totally broken, BBR got it working again to get the car running right, but recently the car has felt a bit flat occasionally, and there was a rattle coming from the inlet that sounded a bit ominous. No warning lights or fault codes at all - the inlet manifold runner control is actuated by vacuum solenoids that trigger actuators, but a failure can leave the manifold runners stuck in a mid position that means the car itself struggles to identify any problem.

A new plastic inlet plenum which is sealed and has the mechanicms inside costs a whipping £900.20 from a Mazda main dealer :eek: :(, then you have the aluminium section with the secondary swirl flaps (£468.20 please), plus the cost of the associated solenoids and actuators, gaskets etc that would need replacing! Clearly these prices were a bit silly....this delayed the repair as I decided to hunt around to get the manifold.

I sourced a very low mileage and fully functioning inlet which I eventually got sent free of charge (thanks BBR :)), and got it all re-assembled, whilst also removing the secondary swirl flaps that prove a slight restriction at the top of rev range and are another (rare) point of failure.

The rattle seems to be gone now, the car still sounds a bit rough at idle from a cold start but then an MZR/Duratec with high lift cams will tend to sound like a sack of spanners. It seems to drive better too, could be placebo but if the inlet runner control was malfunctioning you would lose a fair bit of shove. Will do more miles over the coming days but glad to have the car back and driving nicely.

Last edited:
Do you have a spare in the GT86? Or a pump and can of foam like the MX5?

The car came with tyre goo and a pump, but I've since sources a space saver from an Imprezza as it fits in the boot. Not had to use it yet; so far the puncture is slow enough to keep inflated until it goes in tomorrow.

Cambelt, waterpump, coolant, rocker gasket, fan belt and windscreen washer pump sorted today.

New exhaust going on next week (got a bigger downpipe/precat removal fitted already), silicon boost hoses, better air filter and crossover pipe delete so direct feed to turbo on their way, just had oil & filter and spark plugs etc done the other week. Brake fluid and gearbox oil to complete all servicing and then remap time :)

Although I am gonna get new rear axle bushes and ARB droplinks on soon as they're a bit worse for wear. Nothing to worry about just yet I guess but if I know they're not quite bang on I'll be itching to get them done.

Still pretty pleased by time it will all be done it will be at VXR performance for a bit over 3 grand all in and no less maintenance will be bang on to boot :)

heartsurgery.jpg

Wish I could have picked up a deal like yours! I did jump in with mine as I needed a car asap.

I'm doing arb droppings tonight as I'm getting a tapping noise on speedbumps and on full lock on rough Road surfaces.

Next year I'll get my cambelt done as I'm on 74k just now with and don't want to take it that the the 100k mark.

What tyre pressure do you run? I've went back to 36/33 and it is harsher but doesn't feel as vague at higher speeds. I hated 39/36.

As it was -2.8C last night I have just put my winter wheels on. :)

Guaranteed not to snow this year again - It didn't snow last year because I bought a snow shovel.

Dave

Stuck a different battery on the van today, It's been starting on the old battery but I don't trust it to get through a harsh winter, Got a decent battery off my mate for 20 quid.
Also stuck some cardboard up to wedge the grill on one of the back doors as it rattled, It don't rattle now. :p

Back
Top Bottom