What have you done to your car today?

I'll have to play around with the mic gain settings on a few drives before I permanently move it to the weather strip or headlining, it didn't seem to like the wind noise before when the roof is down.

I wouldn't worry about moving it back, on early Z4s the mic was by the rear view mirror and the sound quality was poor. On the facelift it was moved to the top of the steering column which works far better, so I'd stick with that.

It could be stripped thread yeah, in which case a new sump is probably the easiest option, generally they don't cost too much, of course a garage would fleece you for one and fitting. :p

It may not help but it's worth a go as it's a proper penetrating fluid so gets in there well. Worst case it doesn't work and you've got a can for any other stuck nuts and bolts you come across another time (be it on the car or in the house).
Is it an actual hex bolt, rather than allen style bolt and are you using a twelve or six sided socket if it's a normal hex bolt? I always prefer to use 6 sided sockets on sumps as it's really not one you want to round, along with a decent length bar or wrench.

12-sided piece i bought from halfords this morning when i saw that i didn't have anything else that'd do the job and I'd just round it off if I used the shifter :(.

I'll give it a shot, the only remaining annoyance is that I don't have a set of actual jack-stand things so I parked it half on a kerb which gives just about enough clearance but I still can't get a really good grip on it. Going to ask a friend who I think might have a set to see if I can borrow them tomorrow

I've had to jump start my car today :( Battery died!

Mine was the same yesterday. I hadn't driven it in a couple of weeks.
Thing is though. It's been sat with a battery charger "maintaining" it and it's still dead.
I think I'd best just resign myself to the fact that if I don't drive it over the winter I'm going to have to buy a new battery every year.

Lately I've noticed a noise when first start the car and I'm doing the rounds with the tin of de-icer, sounded like a heatshield vibrating which isn't uncommon with the Focus.

Took a shufty under it today and seemed like there were maybe some stones or similar rattling round on top of the rear underfloor heatshield. Usual issue is that over time the aluminium foil fractures around the large nuts which hold it in place, so was geared up for doing this kind of repair.

Which was just as well because while I was waggling the shield around to see if I could dislodge anything it broke on both sides where it was mounted, as above.

Some new nuts and bigger pieces of thin aluminium to hold it all in place over the larger holes and job done :)

I wouldn't worry about moving it back, on early Z4s the mic was by the rear view mirror and the sound quality was poor. On the facelift it was moved to the top of the steering column which works far better, so I'd stick with that.

On my Z4 I have the my mic placed in the same position you have mrk and have not had many problems. Have to shout when the roof is down sometimes but that's about it.

Good to hear! Having had 2 phone calls today in the car with roof up and down I can confirm that people can hear me fine speaking normally :cool:

Mic will remain in position then!

Fitted LED Fog lights (have a perfect cut off), LED turn signals all round and also replaced the cheap plastic LCD cover with a leather one.

LCD_Coverjpg.jpg

LED_Fogs.jpg

Left is standard, right LED

Good news, called my garage as a "just in case" and he said to pop in tomorrow lunchtime and he'll free the bolt, and I'll do the rest myself at home. My pathetic attempt at learning car maintenance is (almost) redeemed!

[TW]Fox;27602909 said:
Why did you let him do that?

Are you going to take them back off again when he's not looking?

The yellow halogens had to go - this was a change I wanted.

As for the DRLs - he's young, looking to build his portfolio of this type of minor work and whilst not convinced by them I wasn't completely against it. He has actually had a huge amount of interest for the fitting of these to be fair.
I do think they're a little on the young chavvy side, but I'm not that far off a mid life crisis so it'll work out, not doubt.

As for the DRLs - he's young, looking to build his portfolio of this type of minor work and whilst not convinced by them I wasn't completely against it. He has actually had a huge amount of interest for the fitting of these to be fair.
I do think they're a little on the young chavvy side, but I'm not that far off a mid life crisis so it'll work out, not doubt.

I like the LED sidelights, not a fan of the DRLs though

I think its a bit of stretch to suggest that banging a set of Ebay DRL's on an X5 is part of a 'portfolio'. The LED sidelights are nice enough and probably compliment the OEM Xenons well, but the DRL's on a car never fitted with them are nafftastic :(

You've got a very nice car there, it looks like a 4.6iS and they are very rare, especially in decent condition. This sort of mod really cheapens the look of the car, it makes it look more 15 owner from new bottom of the market blinged up 3.0d not like the rare 4.6iS it really is :(

I've seen them on more modern cars recently. It's bizarre and always raises an eyebrow. I'm not even a fan of canbus LED sidelight bulb replacements as they too look chavvy.

A lot of these modern cars with DRLs, fog lights when turning etc looks rubbish when actually performing a manoeuvre.

The DRL dims down on the side that the indicator is flashing on, the fog light comes on that side when they start turning etc.

Reminds me of a mid 90s Peugeot 306 with dodgy electrics.

... part exchanged it.

We originally bought it as a rotter when doing the house work for 12-24 months, but the niggles list continues to grow and we just got fed up and wanted something that just... worked.

Deposit is down on something 99.9995% of the forum will hate, but I think its good as a functional family car.

2012 S-Max Titanium X Sport. 2.2 TDCi 200PS engine with the power shift (Yo) gearbox. 15,000 miles, 1 previous owner, etc etc.

Kit wise its pretty decent i think. Panoramic Glass Roof, Part Leather Part Alcantara throughout seating with some nice red detailing, Navigation System, Heated front seats/Screens/mirrors, Integrated Rear window blinds, push button start, blah blah blah.

The car will also be sporting the Blufin remap when we collect it for a bit more poke. Should bring it close to 'sporty' performance, but certainly with nearly 500nm torque be good for overtakes - http://www.mybluefin.co.uk/curves/22tdci200psNEW.pdf

Collect it on Friday, looking forward to having something that just ... works... and is massive.

Back
Top Bottom