What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
Today I have:

Fitted Hids4u 35w 6000k hid kit (to replace 'good quality but cheaply priced' bought from a seller on civinfo that broke after 2 days - whilst I was sent new ballasts, the replacement ones were different and seemed even cheaper and nastier than the other ones...so decided to bin off the whole kit. Buy cheap, buy twice and all that...)

Changed interior bulbs, reversing light bulbs and numberplate bulbs for white LED ones.

Put a load of my stuff into the car (since I sold the Fiesta ST, crashed the S2000 then bought this I have had a bx of stuff like a demister pad and tyre inflater etc kicking around my hallway, now its all back in the car car).

Part fitted my Mugen air intake, gave up as it seems I need to take the scuttle panel off, and light was fading, so chucked it all back together and will hopefully get the job done tomorrow...!

Associate
Took for a service this morning, usual stuff + brake fluid change. Replaced 2 front tyres with Pirelli P Zero Neros and had laser wheel alignment done. Replaced wipers with new valeo silencio flat blades. Came home and gave it a good wash for the first time since early December. Need to clean inside too but after a busy day, think I'll save that for tomorrow when I'm hungover.

Why did you opt for the pirelli's? Can't wait to get rid of mine. Road noise is pants and they wear really quickly. That being said dry grip on them was the best ive ever had on a tyre. Getting my fronts switched over for f1 asymmetric 2s next weekend.

Caporegime
Today I have:

Fitted Hids4u 35w 6000k hid kit (to replace 'good quality but cheaply priced' bought from a seller on civinfo that broke after 2 days - whilst I was sent new ballasts, the replacement ones were different and seemed even cheaper and nastier than the other ones...so decided to bin off the whole kit. Buy cheap, buy twice and all that...)

Good choice, i've had two kits off them, first one in the Mazda was used for 3 years and about 50k without any issues.

Second kit in the VW has been in for over 5 years and 80k without any issues.

Solid kits with high quality components, well worth the extra cash imho.

Soldato
Just set it up properly, some people make way too much of a songand dance aabout hids in rreflector lenses, I know of plenty of people with this setup and they are fine, it's the bodge jobs that can cause problems .

Soldato
OP
If you purchase an H7R kit specifically designed for reflector type lens headlights then yes I believe so:-

http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?70866-How-to-Fit-HIDs-to-a-FN2-CTR

I have H7Rs in the ZS, they're great. So much less glare than regular HIDs.

Today, I washed it. That's all :p

762F9E48-0A2A-4320-9A77-2F9589D449F3-219-0000002C4B954D7D_zpsd1abc6df.jpg

Soldato
Would a hid kit work in an FN2 with it not being projectors?

The FN2 models that have factory fit HIDS like the high spec 'EX' models or late Type Rs still use reflector lenses, so long as you buy the correct kit (a decent H7R setup as mentioned, with proper bulb shielding) and install it correctly then its fine.

You'll notice I mention proper bulb shielding, the HIDS4U kit H7Rs had a lot more shielding than the cheapo H7Rs I had before, and the cut off is a lot better as a result.

I went for a drive last night about 7pm, did about 35 miles around some busy A and B roads near Wolverhampton, lights on obviously, and plenty of traffic coming the other way, I also had them adjusted to the highest 'height' setting just to see if anyone would flash me and nobody did...so they're okay I'd say :)

Last edited:
Associate
The usual Sunday clean.

Also had to change a wheel as I found one of the tyres had a nail in it and had lost most of its pressure. Luckily I have four spare Cyclone alloy wheels with tyres sat around doing nothing so I put one of those on to save going out to buy a new tyre. I was planning on getting two new tyres to replace the one which had the puncture and the other on the same axle in a couple of weeks anyway so this just gives me an even better excuse :p

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Wash & waxed it.
Quick pic with my new to me Hardtop.

Got time on my mates ramp Tuesday to fit the Koni lowering springs/shocks to lose my comedy ride height.

I like it. :cool:

Soldato
Way overslept, missed the window for washing my car, ah well.
The window is from about 7am to about 5:30pm so you had plenty of time!

Also took out the electric windows and wacked the lexan windows in :)

I give it a few weeks tops, before you get thoroughly annoyed at the uselessness and pointlessness and put the wind-down-able windows back in ;)

Soldato
I had an interesting discovery today.

This week the Peugeot wouldn't start without the use of some quick start. Once warm, it started fine. Nothing out of the ordinary, I presumed the glow plugs needed changing, had RAC out and the guy agreed.

Now given that I had changed the glow plugs about one year ago for some NGK ones along with the battery, I did think it was a bit odd. But of late I have done a lot shorter journeys, so meh, ordered and collected some glow plugs from Eurocarparts.

Went to fit them yesterday and found the earthing cable nut for the glow plugs was rounded. Odd. It was fine when I last changed them..? So anyway get it off, pull off the inlet manifold, and disconnect the the power source for the glow plugs. But when undoing the glow plug power source one of the nuts was a 7mm instead of an 8mm. Odd.

Remove all glow plugs, one is different from the other 3 (one Denso vs 3 NGK.) Test them all, and surprise this different one doesn't work at all. Would explain the not starting well since it has been so cold.

Now given I do all the work on the car myself, my only explanation can be the MOT station. Left with them for the day as I dropped it off and collected after work. It failed and I did all the work, then it passed. Again the day it passed leaving it before work and collecting afterwards.

Seriously, I am so confused as to why someone would go through the effort of swapping one of my glow plugs for a dead one?! Especially when we had conversations about how I do the work on the car myself, and I've only taken my car there for 3 years for MOTs, surely they'd know I wouldn't bring it to them to fix... The mind boggles!

tl;dr - garage seemed to swap one of my glow plugs for a dead one causing bad starting in very cold. WTH?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom