What Restaurant did you eat at last night?

daz

daz

Soldato
Marcus @ The Berkeley on Saturday. Aside from the ridiculous cars parked outside (3 x RR Phantom Drophead Coupes, Mclaren P1, Ferrari 599) the hotel and restaurant is pretty spectacular. A beautiful meal (only the tasting menu is available on Saturday evenings).

Menu
Shauna’s sourdough, cockle butter —
Mackerel, cucumber, mint, caviar —
Sharpe’s Express 1900, girolles, Tunworth, truffle —
Octopus, Cuore del Vesuvio, rocket, almond —
Cumbrian pork belly, heritage carrot, rose, scratchings
Herdwick lamb, crispy breast, mint, pea —
Pickled cherry, lemon, granola —
Toffee, peanut, milk chocolate nougat

My favourite courses were the potato and girolles, then the octopus, then the herdwick lamb which was excellent.

Associate
I took the girl to Marcus back in Jan and we found everything to be solid in terms of cooking but nothing really stood out, given that it's a two star that is a little underwhelming. Service wise nothing can be faulted and it certainly makes a very good date spot.

daz

daz

Soldato
I know what you mean, in a way. Restaurant Gordon Ramsay (Clare Smyth) wowed me in a way in which Marcus didn't, despite being an excellent meal. But then again, I didn't think The Fat Duck was as good as I was expecting either. :o

Next to try... The Waterside Inn. :D

Soldato
It's funny isn't it? I wonder how much is to do with ourselves bigging these places up. I was disappointed with Eleven Madison Park, but Le Bernadin blew me away but expected the opposite.

Soldato
Food and wine are such personal things that although I might disagree, I understand and accept other peoples views on restaurants (I'm certainly no expert!). Marcus has been one of the most disappointing 2 star restaurants I've been to but I know people who have loved it. We thought Eleven Madison Park was superb, the whole experience, but I can certainly see why people wouldn't enjoy it as much. I guess sometimes there is the weight of expectation when others rave about these restaurants, that expectations can get too high.

Soldato
This is the thing with reviews, you have to have enough from the same person and enough overlapping experience of your own to map their reviews to your opinions. Only then can you get any utility from reviews. This is why one-off internet reviews from a stranger are pointless. It took me two years to map The Times book reviews to my tastes but now I'm pretty good at telling what I'm going to like. Unless it's a new reviewer.

Soldato
Went here over the weekend.

http://smokiessouthernbbq.co.uk/

Meat was fantastic not overly sauced like the majority of BBQ places just nice slow smoked meat.

Bit late but did you go to the Darwen one or the Chorley one?

I live a few minutes from the Chorley one and it's quickly becoming one of my favorite places. The fact they do takeaway makes it even better for Burgers.

Man of Honour
Last night I went to http://no-97.co.uk/ number 47 in Surbiton.

I hadn't read any reviews or even looked at the menu. We live near and my wife had heard it was good. It was absolutely excellent. Well priced and delicious and beautifully presented. Great staff, unfussy but excellent service and a nice buzz. Really nice gin bar in the basement. Anyone in this neck of the woods should give it a go.

I had a quail ballotine, lamb and a series of lemon puddings. Decent short and unpretentious wine list. £100 for three courses, decent bottle of wine and a couple of additional glasses. For Surrey that aint bad at all! Will go again.

Soldato
Can anyone recommend somewhere in London? The wife and i have decided to go for our anniversary trip this year instead of overseas like normal.

Only issue is that it's the 22nd December so i accept places will need booking well in advance since this year it falls on the Friday before Christmas.

Quite open to food choices and would be looking around £40-£50 per head. Happy if that only covers 2 courses though (obviously excluding drinks)

Soldato
Bit late but did you go to the Darwen one or the Chorley one?

I live a few minutes from the Chorley one and it's quickly becoming one of my favorite places. The fact they do takeaway makes it even better for Burgers.

Darwin, love that they don't have an alcohol licence so they let you bring your own drinks.

Soldato
Last night I went to http://no-97.co.uk/ number 47 in Surbiton.

I hadn't read any reviews or even looked at the menu. We live near and my wife had heard it was good. It was absolutely excellent. Well priced and delicious and beautifully presented. Great staff, unfussy but excellent service and a nice buzz. Really nice gin bar in the basement. Anyone in this neck of the woods should give it a go.

I had a quail ballotine, lamb and a series of lemon puddings. Decent short and unpretentious wine list. £100 for three courses, decent bottle of wine and a couple of additional glasses. For Surrey that aint bad at all! Will go again.
That looks fantastic - a great looking menu, well presented food, and a Gin bar! We're not too far from Surbiton so I think we'll give it a try.

Associate
Next Friday were booked in at Sat Bains Nucleus, having the 10 course taster menu and wine pairing.

On the 21st October we're booked in at The Fat Duck, then the following afternoon at The Hand And Flowers for sunday lunch.

I am so excited (and will be so poor) :D

Soldato
The Hand & Flowers seems to polarise people, some love it and some really slate it. Personally I love it, it's one of my favoruite restaurants. We've been something in the region of 14 times.

Man of Honour
I've only been once but I thought it was excellent. I still remember what I had over a year on and I think that is always a good sign.

Back
Top Bottom