What Restaurant did you eat at last night?

Soldato
Nice! Happy Birthday!

I've been twice and can't wait to go back again.

They moved recently, it's in the same building now but in the basement rather than the top floor. They hadn't notified peoiple of the new location so there were a few confused people waiting by the front door of the shop to get in (you used to enter through the ground floor of a clothes shop then take a lift to the top floor). The new entrance is on Sidney Street. If you look on Google Street View it's where Ladbrokes used to be.

Soldato
I've had them both twice, they were still on the menu when we were there in November. Emancipation was even better this time around, there was more vinegar which I really liked.

There's 2 different wine flights now, we had the premium one and were given an additional glass of sake from the other menu.

Soldato
The Man Behind the Curtain was an explosion of art meets food. In the restaurant no opportunities to use fine art are missed, see the Ducati in the reception, or the shoes on the doors (apparently) denoting lavatory genders. It is quite a dark restaurant but there is plenty of space because they don't overfill it:

vAt7NT3.jpg

Had a Kumquat and Cardamom Gin with some deliciously juicy hand-massaged octopus while waiting for our table:

5Tr6Hmz.jpg

At the table we got our amuse-bouches quite quickly. The Veal Sweetbread XO slider was the best, followed by the bilberry thingummy, and the mackerel bit was just plain old tasty:

c6ERgJX.jpg

The Wagyu beef starter with olives and beef fat sheets was incomparable. I was stunned into a series of appreciative, vaguely sexual groans:

L3YwXMm.jpg

Then we were into the fish, which started with raw langoustines in mussel consomme and basil oil. This was a demostration of the lightest of touches. As with all the dishes the flavours were distinct and complimentary without being overpowering:

zu714aQ.jpg

Then we had Michael O'Hare's take on Ackee with Saltfish. It's a tasty dish but probably the worst of an amazing bunch:

NSVd77T.jpg

The last fish dish was his signature Emanciption dish from GBM. This dish is a stunner. I don't have the vocabulary to do it justice. Wow.

cWrS8Mp.jpg

Then we had the meat main, which was Iberico Pork with Smoked Egg and Olive Shards. Yet another incredible dish. The textures and flavours are sublime. Truly exceptional.

2FEMtn2.jpg

The first pud was coconut and lemon grass soup with chilli sorbet. It tasted like a sweet thai green chilli and the kaffir lime cleaned the palate nicely. The missus thought this was the worst dish:

GxFmJwA.jpg

The second pud was another plate of manna from heaven, Chocolate, honey, and violet. I was worried the violet would ruin the plate but it was just a subtle background harmony. The puffed rice brought crunch. Outstanding:

XL4aWFe.jpg

The coffee was served with a Passion Fruit petit-four and a lemon and chocolate doughnut:

VgDdSvK.jpg

The beef and olive starter, Emancipation, the Iberico Pork main, and the Chocolate with Violet and Honey pud are all perfect dishes in my opinion. Ten out of ten all round.

In summary, it's a very cool place that isn't stuffy or up itself. It is, however, ostentatious and artsy. The food swings between subtle and sublime but everything is really delish. The service was excellent (all the staff were about twelve) and the new sommelier had some great wine pairings, even if he was a little obsessed with Spain.

Highly recommended (the missus said it was cheaper than Rogan & Co and Martin Wishart).

Afterwards we went to this achingly cool jazz bar called The Domino Club. I hate jazz but the cocktails were outstanding.

Soldato
Lunch is the same menu as dinner.

I really want to go back there, if only for the sweetbread dish. When the restaurant was upstairs that was a cource rather than part of the amuse bouhe so you used to get a bigger portion.

Soldato
Cheers, i went off looking after my post. It looks lovely, now L'Enclume is back open i suppose we wouldn't get the taster menu like you.

We'll have the dog and i think i can take him with us to Rogan & Co which helps as means we can have the day in Cartmel rather than dumping him at the cottage all day.

Associate
Visited Moor Hall https://moorhall.com/ near Ormskirk, Lancs last week for our annual blow-out. Been meaning to try this for a while as it had great reviews and achieved a Michelin star within 9 months of opening. Mark Birchall was executive chef at L'Enclume amongst other notable places and you can definitely see the crossovers. Beautiful building and informal layout with lovely staff. Food was top notch but have to say occasionally missing the wow factor in a few courses (went with the 8-course taster). The amuse-bouches topped a couple of the mains despite being only a mouthful. There's a cheese room (!) but wasn't blown away by what they helped us pick, compared to something like Fraiche's cheese trolley.

If you like wine, this is a place you should try. I'd normally go with a wine flight but the sommelier was outstanding and opened 2 or 3 bottles per "round", seeing what I liked, then busied himself in the cellar for the next lot of picks. A large proportion of the wine list can be had by the glass so if you want to try a lot of things you wouldn't normally, this arrangement is great. Would like to return as a special treat place simply for this. Also, if you finish on a coffee, the way it's served at your table has to be seen to be believed.

Spent more than I've ever spent in a restaurant (due to the wine) but loved the whole experience. The 8-course cost L'Enclume money and I'd take that every time purely for the food, though.

Soldato
I've heard a lot about TMBTC given that my girlfriend is from Leeds but that decor.. gah. Looks like some Russian billionaire just kitted out his new £20m apartment in London. In other words, zero taste.

Caporegime
Could anyone recommend any London venues that:

Can do a party of 30-35 people, but without forcing a set menu. Doesn't need to be a private from other diners, but we would like to all be sitting in roughly the same area.
Looks pretty/has nice atmosphere.
Has decent food but doesn't break the bank.

Trying to find a venue for an unofficial wedding reception (so as to avoid the magic wedding tax places like to charge)

Soldato
I think you'd struggle to find a place that will do a group that large without a set menu. Imagine being in the kitchen having to knock 35 different mains out within 2-3mins of each other :p (Never worked in a kitchen but I imagine this is why they insist on set menus for large groups).

You could try the Swan at the Globe. Not cheap exactly, but a great venue (I've been to a wedding there), great views, and really good food. They cater for large groups.

Soldato
Been to a couple of good ones recently. L'Ortolan just before Christmas. Festive three course lunch for £39 but somehow the four of us managed to blow another £350 on wine on top. Excellent as always, will be returning in a few weeks as they offered me a deal on a six course menu.

The Vineyard at Stockross on Xmas Eve for lunch as it is the other halfs Birthday. Third year on the bounce there. No stars but the food and ambience is excellent and the wine list is ridiculously long but well priced. We shall be going back a few times this year, possibly with a room service we can both plow through some nice wine.

Also booked a table for lunch at Sindhu at the Compleat Angler in Marlow, which is Atul Kochar's latest venture. Very excited about this and promise to give a proper write-up.

Good eating.

Soldato
Yeah, I kinda figured that would be the case, but the missus is dead set on it as everyone is to pay their own way. :(
Sounds a bit tricky to manage, really. If I was invited to a wedding breakfast (dinner) I'd assume I'm not paying anything. Good luck wording that invite ;)

EDIT: Random question; can anyone recommend anywhere decent in Camden?

Caporegime
Sounds a bit tricky to manage, really. If I was invited to a wedding breakfast (dinner) I'd assume I'm not paying anything. Good luck wording that invite ;)

We're eloping, but having 'receptions' in 2 different countries as our family and friends are spread. I would be very surprised if our family/friends wouldn't come just because we don't want to waste money on pointless things (and this is why we aren't looking at massively expensive places).

It would be viewed as just going out to a restraurant, like people do all the time, but with more people than normal. People do it for birthdays, why should nuptials be exempt? :p

Back
Top Bottom