• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When the Gpu's prices will go down ?

Soldato
That sounds great, but could be classed as short term thinking too. If market share and mind share continues to erode, it will be really hard to come back from and repair such damage.

But anyway, that's for them and AMD fans to worry about. All I know is if they want my money regularly again they need to offer value like they used to before and not follow Nvidia in trying to penetrate every single orifice they can.

I think it is a short term strategy.

Being fabless they have no gigantic costs by cutting back production of gpus and can price fix with Nvidia until the events of the last few years settle down.

Reactions: TNA
Associate
To the OP my bet is when/if Nvidias rent a GPU scheme (Geforce Now) fails then GPUs will become lower priced. As long as they can rent GPUs to people while retaining ownership of the product they'll keep GPU prices high.

You pay for the service as it's more manageable to fork out so much a month, then they take your data, location, games played, when you play for how long what you do when you play and sell that data too!
Yes, for both players selling consumer GPUs is a way to subsidize research for either high margin (Nvidia data center) or high volume (AMD semi-custom) segments, so selling GPUs basically is a nice to have now.
After all, JPR estimated 2 million GPUs sold last quarter, which is not exactly a lot...

Associate
John Peddie latest report, 60000 GPU skewed the market share by 3%, which means the total sales should be around 2 million last quarter, I'd be happy to be proven wrong on this TBH.

Soldato

Was 9%, take out 60000 GPUs it's now 6% which translates in roughly 120k Intel GPUs, 180k AMD and everything else Nvidiea for a total of about 2 million.
My maths has always been pretty awful but if 60,000 results in a 2% change doesn't that mean the total was 3 million?

e: Told you my maths was bad, i couldn't even count to three. :cry:

Last edited:
Associate
My maths has always been pretty awful but if 60,000 results in a 2% change doesn't that mean the total was 3 million?

e: Told you my maths was bad, i couldn't even count to three. :cry:
Glad you edited it in time, anyway even 3 million would have been a pretty bad number, especially as it contains the end of year season.

Soldato
Glad you edited it in time...
Whys that...*looks around nervously*

Is it the end of year season, if as the article you linked to JPR is counting average selling price of GPUs against each manufactures declared financial results wouldn't it have a quarters lag?

Associate
Whys that...*looks around nervously*

Is it the end of year season, if as the article you linked to JPR is counting average selling price of GPUs against each manufactures declared financial results wouldn't it have a quarters lag?
Well, we're almost at the end of Q1 2023 and those were shipped items, not sold to customers.

Associate
The thing is what do people actually think the reduction percentage would be, if you take the 4080fe for example @ £1,199 I think you’d be lucky if they took £100 off “if” any reductions ever happen. Then you have to think to yourself was it worth boycotting the card to save £100 ?

Associate
The thing is what do people actually think the reduction percentage would be, if you take the 4080fe for example @ £1,199 I think you’d be lucky if they took £100 off “if” any reductions ever happen. Then you have to think to yourself was it worth boycotting the card to save £100 ?
No, boycotting it completely as well as all this generations cards would make more sense.
Would be better if retailers just refused to stock them entirely tbh.

Associate
No, the only sane move is to set a budget and stick to it.
For example, my max amount for a GPU is 600€, which gets me a RX 6800 on a very good deal day.

Then it's easy to find out if it's a good buy, just answer the following: Is it significantly better (50%+) than what I have now?

If yes, buy, if not, skip this gen. Just set how much you're ready to shell for a card and see where that brings you. Right now if you don't care about RT the smart money would say RX 6700XT.

Back
Top Bottom