Where's the QHD 144hz Smart Money at?

Soldato
w00t! w00t!

I'm starting to settle on RTS mode, the colours are really vibrant and some may find them cartoonish but I like it. For the mean time anyway.

Some may find hitting that button they have a vibrancy level that's approaching what you would expect from I.P.S:eek:

Associate
Vibrancy level you would expect from an IPS??
So how is it guys? Does it need to be treated like "every" TN? Can I move around in my chair without the colours shifting so much that I need to turn the screen?
Can the colours be made accurate? Is there any extension beyond sRGB?

Permabanned
OP
So how is it guys? Does it need to be treated like "every" TN? Can I move around in my chair without the colours shifting so much that I need to turn the screen?

Like every TN panel there's a degree of shift but compared to my last Predator TN it's minimal.I can bob my head around and colours stay pretty much the same. No idea about extension there's RGB and YPbPr in the menus.

Soldato

Not had enough time with it to come to a firm conclusion, but its not going back (which should say something). Need to play a few more games see if settings hold up, say some more when had more time with it.

Vibrancy so far, slightly more muted (using preset with brightness), also taking a slight hit in contrast but I suspect other I.P.S's may be around the same.

Its a T.N. but not as we know it.

Associate
My current screen is a dell ultra sharp 2515h from 4yrs ago how would that compare with 144hz ips screens these days, I want something atleast as good as this?

Soldato
Like every TN panel there's a degree of shift but compared to my last Predator TN it's minimal.I can bob my head around and colours stay pretty much the same. No idea about extension there's RGB and YPbPr in the menus.

I can't say I notice anything major or any significant difference unless I get up out of the chair and move away. Its the only time so far I am noting a clear difference with I.P.S in this regard. Its one of the major surprises.

A notable shift and decrease in visual quality while going to make a cup of coffee or nipping to the bog I can live with.

Soldato
What games, apps etc have you tried with it efish?

Games wise Call of Duty Modern Warfare Remastered, don't play this anymore but I played the original to death so I know it really well and sensitive to any change.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider, don't like this but dark scene test.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey, been playing this a lot on the I.P.S. so sensitive to change.

Apps, mostly photo editing etc not experimented here yet, set the I.P.S back up and see what editing on the T.N. does, how it displays on the I.P.S.

Only other thing I did was watch a few random videos on you tube.

Mostly games though, mostly assassins creed.

Last night in game at 11 p.m. increasingly I was having to struggle to play whats the difference other than noting the unrelenting smoothness and lack of stutter and the occasional banding I was getting in A.C.O. is now gone. Also getting those little random moments, I think its a mix of smoothness and particle effects, not sure, but you just get sucked in, that momentary wow effect gaming does to you when everything works pefectly.

Slightly more muted/ less saturated effect. Its difficult to say its worse or less rather than just different: more pop works better in some scenes (I.P.S wins slightly here), the more muted effect is actually preferable to me in certain scenes.

Early days as my eyes are adjusting simply to not using the same monitor I have used each day for four years.

Going to take about a week to adjust and work out what I miss, what I like. Same with any switch in tech.

edit. Having to use RTS mode to get the vibrancy at the level I want. It works well in the games so far. Dell seemss to be going for some level of consistency in game mode across panel types, the similarity between a dell I.P.S and a Dell T.N. here is surprising, more familiar than I expected.

Last edited:
Soldato
I can't say I notice anything major or any significant difference unless I get up out of the chair and move away. Its the only time so far I am noting a clear difference with I.P.S in this regard. Its one of the major surprises.

A notable shift and decrease in visual quality while going to make a cup of coffee or nipping to the bog I can live with.

Edit, noticing shift, when reading text, I move and sit back in my seat when doing this. Going to have to develop different habits, sitting in 'gaming mode' with my chair pushed in slightly closer to the monitor no issue.

The one major difference so far, its better to keep my seat a couple of inches closer to the monitor when reading text.

Soldato
I’ve ordered an AOC AGON 27” IPS 165hz monitor, arriving Tuesday. I really wanted a curved VA, especially given the price difference, but I didn’t want to put up with purple trails when gaming.

After much consideration, I concluded that IPS is the only panel type where there’s at least a small chance of getting a monitor without compromise. No doubt I’ll be back with another post on Tuesday describing how I lost the panel lottery.

Associate
Is the shift big enough that you are really noticing it?
I do fidget when gaming, but mainly along the horizontal plain. I suppose when I slouch to a side of the chair my head will be lower, too. I might get one just to see if I can live with it, as it's either this or a VA, which has its own set of problems, mainly with dark transition response time being much slower than any other!

Soldato
Is the shift big enough that you are really noticing it?
I do fidget when gaming, but mainly along the horizontal plain. I suppose when I slouch to a side of the chair my head will be lower, too. I might get one just to see if I can live with it, as it's either this or a VA, which has its own set of problems, mainly with dark transition response time being much slower than any other!

One thing I would note if you want to take a punt. You have the right to return within 14 days even if opened, no mater what a seller will try to claim. It's also very easy to return this product as it arrived in factory condition.

The instructions are pretty useless setting up the stand is easy so you don't have to break the seal on the instructionss. It does not come with a display port/ you need to have one, so can leave cables alone. Kettle lead to plug in so you can avoid breaking seal here as well.

About two inches of a round plastic sticky seal in the center you have cut when opening. Other than that you can leave everything as it came. Protective packaging wrapping the parts is easy both to remove and put back in place exactly as it came.

If you return its very easy to send it back almost exactly as it arrived in perfect intact condition.

As if you had not taken it out of the box, with everything sealed in an unused factory state;).

p.s I am going to set up my I.P.S along side it this evening switch between the two play through the same scene in a game. I am noticing a few things I don't like with distant objects in A.C.O not sure if its the monitor or just me looking more carefully than normal.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom