Who can be an English football role model?

No votes for Gerrard? As far as I can recall the only scandal he was involved in was the fight outside the nightclub for which he was found not guilty. Local boy made good, generally a top bloke (remember when he hit the kid with his car and went to visit him in hospital?) and one of the more hard-working members of the England squad.

He's a great footballer and the best on-the-park leader we have.

Which is one of the reasons I haven't followed England now for about three years. With few exceptions (Walcott, J Cole, Hart, Lennon) I actively dislike nearly all the players at a human level and therefore can feel no affinity with the national team anymore.

Do footballers really need to be role models outside of the football pitch? Growing up I didn't idolise anyone off the pitch, just on.

which of the england players can you idolise on the pitch? they have all been terrible of late

I guess nobody idolises Rooney, Beckham, Lampard and Gerrard etc as a player then.

Every kid in primary school.. 'I want to be the next Zat Knight'.

I guess nobody idolises Rooney, Beckham, Lampard and Gerrard etc as a player then.

Every kid in primary school.. 'I want to be the next Zat Knight'.

ah thats right i often idolised lampards and gerrards england performances all my life. wow they make their club form look dire. you can literally see them straining to get the ball in every time...

oh no wait a minute.

Beckham yes, he was a hero, villain and then a hero again. but he always tried and put it in every time he played. i can understand that.

Rooney is more of...an idolised prospect you know the, 'wow this kid is amazing lets pin our nations hopes entirely on him and pray'

Rumour has it that Rooney was in court getting his super injunction on the day we drew with Fulham hence his disappearance from the squad with a mysterious illness. I would say his lawyer didn't do a very good job. :p

Do footballers really need to be role models outside of the football pitch? Growing up I didn't idolise anyone off the pitch, just on.

they dont need to be role models off the pitch, but they do need to stay out of trouble.

what do you think would happen to messi if they found out he went to argentina and started grooming young street kids to be his sex slaves?

it doesnt matter how good you are on the pitch, if you do something bad off it it affects your public image. so no they dont need to be role models off it but it affects how good a role model they are overall.

do you know what a role model is? would you idolise someone who cheats on their wife and the mother of their child? or goes out and gets wasted all the time? or beats up dj's for not playing a song they request? etc

Pro footballers are awful role models in general. English ones even more so, it seems.

If Messi were English lots of things would be much better ;)

Back
Top Bottom