Who here owns a Fiesta ST?

Soldato
The seats were BY FAR the worst part though - having something which made the car so fundamentally unpleasant to be in for even a short time then shone a spotlight on every other niggle you might otherwise look past or learn to drive around.

I fully agree. Are you a slim build? Because I am and struggled with the seats (and excessive noise) on long journeys. I did enjoy the handling of the car though, the darty steering and torque steer added to the fun and childness personality of the car.

Soldato
Seats and my driving position are my biggest grips with mine. Seat too high, gear lever a bit far away leaving me closer to the pedals than I'd like. One the two long trips done so far, my legs ached under my thighs just above my knees as I have no support there.

And whats with the clutch pedal joining at a right angle to the actually lever. Make using the footrest annoying in larger shoes

Associate
I'm tempted with a cheap ish Mk6 just for something to hoon around in at weekends, how good is the handling bone stock? I see some folk drop to 16s, which is something I'd be interested in.

I'd possibly only be interested in tyres and cheap/simple brake upgrade, my years of spending loads modifying cars are long gone, plus I'm too old for a crashy lowered ride and droney exhausts.

Honestly the Mk6 ST is a fantastic b road blaster. Unlike the mk7 the feedback through the wheel is much more positive, its low gear ratios mean great acceleration through the gears which suits it perfectly to twisties and thrashing rather than high speed straight line.
(Depending what you're used to driving) out of the box it feels go-cart like in it's handling. Stock brakes I found to be very good. Throw a decent set of discs/pads on and that's all you'd need really.

I would drive one first, they dont really do “hooning”.

You can drive them quickly for sure, but they arent a hooligan tool by any stretch they are too civalised.

“Have i actially driven one?”

Yes, my Orange ST3.

So in other words, No you haven't driven one :p

Soldato
Seats and my driving position are my biggest grips with mine. Seat too high, gear lever a bit far away leaving me closer to the pedals than I'd like. One the two long trips done so far, my legs ached under my thighs just above my knees as I have no support there.

And whats with the clutch pedal joining at a right angle to the actually lever. Make using the footrest annoying in larger shoes

Yea that's the problem I had. You need Chimpanzee arms to get the perfect driving position because the gearstick is to far forward.

Soldato
I found it quite a shock going from my 1.7 N/A Puma with its instant throttle response and go-kart like handling, having never owned a Mk6 Fiesta (the look of them never grew on me really). Like any car, just take the Mk7 on its merits and accept its not always going to live up to some expectations as everyone's perceptions of what makes a car fun are different.

Associate
I fully agree. Are you a slim build? Because I am and struggled with the seats (and excessive noise) on long journeys. I did enjoy the handling of the car though, the darty steering and torque steer added to the fun and childness personality of the car.

Yep, 5'10" and 60kg (under 10st).

Only car I've struggled with the seats in, ever. Mk6 Fiesta Zetec-S seats are great, my S1 Elise I have the Pro-bax Sports seats from an S2 Exige with 4pt harnesses and drove Inverness to Swindon in them quite happily. The Evoras Sparco seats are great and the Vantage I preferred the lightweight seats in one I test drove, but the standard ones are perfectly fine too. I've fiddled with the ST seating position quite a bit, base height affects WHERE it makes my back hurt, but I can never find a positioning where it is usable.

They're enough at an issue that our consideration of the Focus ST Estate went as follows as a replacement - I sat in it and went "Nope". Focus RS has some alternative seats available, but engine worries on those meant we went elsewhere.

Soldato
Another vote for a dodgy seating position. The driving position is just too high for me. Coming from an E46 where you were almost on the floor I've struggled to adapt!

Its strange as the standard fiesta seats seem to have much more adjustment up and down.

Soldato
It's odd to me that so many people dislike it, honestly I thought it was a pretty general concensus that the seats were great. Everyone who has sat in mine has complimented them.

The seats themselves are good, but they never quite felt like they fit the interior properly. After a couple of years of using it for commuting I started to ache.

Last edited:
Associate
I like the seats. If I put the effort into maintaining a good posture, then no problems at all. The biggest annoyance for me is the arm rest getting in the way of the handbrake and gear stick.

Soldato
Had a ride in a mk7 again yesterday and forgot how harsh the ride was. Lots of potholes don’t help. I hope the new ST is more compliant for UK roads as that would be a dealbreaker for my personal usage. Sounds like the changes may help.

How many people would spec the LSD?

Soldato
Had a ride in a mk7 again yesterday and forgot how harsh the ride was. Lots of potholes don’t help. I hope the new ST is more compliant for UK roads as that would be a dealbreaker for my personal usage. Sounds like the changes may help.

How many people would spec the LSD?

An LSD is worth it I think. There are quite a few advantages to them over a standard diff.

Though I've not tried one on a FWD car. It probably won't have as much of an impact as it does on RWD. The down side is they need more maintenance with oil changes needed every couple of years.

Last edited:
Soldato
Honestly the Mk6 ST is a fantastic b road blaster. Unlike the mk7 the feedback through the wheel is much more positive, its low gear ratios mean great acceleration through the gears which suits it perfectly to twisties and thrashing rather than high speed straight line.
(Depending what you're used to driving) out of the box it feels go-cart like in it's handling. Stock brakes I found to be very good. Throw a decent set of discs/pads on and that's all you'd need really.

So in other words, No you haven't driven one :p

Apart from twice a day everyday for the last five months no i havent.

Lol eggface.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's odd to me that so many people dislike it, honestly I thought it was a pretty general concensus that the seats were great. Everyone who has sat in mine has complimented them.

The seats are great i think, only thing i would change is i would like the seat base to be a little longer.

Associate

Its the fairly pronounced shaping of the lumbar support, and the fact it isn't adjustable.
If it suits your spine I'm sure its great, if it doesn't then it is agony.

I got into the habit of stuffing a couple coats down to fill in the gap, at which point it was vaguely tolerable, but it has never been a nice car for me to travel in. On long journeys if I wasn't driving I'd sit in the back.

Back
Top Bottom