Who here owns a Fiesta ST?

Soldato
TBH its partial due to the atrocious MPG she gets and i am selling my car to get a bigger car so she can get a smaller one. She currently gets about 27 to the gallon which is only 6 more than i get. Should also point out that the kids are 4 and 1 so only need a small pram now.

Soldato
TBH its partial due to the atrocious MPG she gets and i am selling my car to get a bigger car so she can get a smaller one. She currently gets about 27 to the gallon which is only 6 more than i get. Should also point out that the kids are 4 and 1 so only need a small pram now.
That’s truly awful for a modern engine. It’s no better than the older T5 2.5T in the previous gen ST. A modern 2.0T should easily be getting late 30’s early 40’s. Unless your wife drives like a hooligan red lining it in ever gear and having traffic light Grand Prix’s :p

Soldato
That’s truly awful for a modern engine. It’s no better than the older T5 2.5T in the previous gen ST. A modern 2.0T should easily be getting late 30’s early 40’s. Unless your wife drives like a hooligan red lining it in ever gear and having traffic light Grand Prix’s :p
Honestly its just ****, when i first picked it up at a constant 70 it was getting 35 to the gallon (she typically does quite a bit of urban) so thats why hers is lower. We kind of budgeted around the 'official' figures.

Soldato
I find the only people which seem to be somewhat honest with MPG figures are the Japanese. The Toyotas and Mazda I've owned have been pretty close to the mark. Fords have been way off unless you really try hard.

Though I suppose the mk2 Focus ST wasn't too bad, claimed 32 but I used to get 28. 47 combined for the Fiesta ST is a joke though, no chance.

Last edited:
Soldato
I know many people who only get 40-45mpg out of there fairly modern low powered diesels in real world driving which is way off the 60mpg they often quote in stats. In my Mondeo ST220 and Focus ST I probably average about 27mpg driving them hard.
A guy I worked with had a run of the mill Mondeo mk4 diesel with about 140bhp. Bought it completely for the fuel savings but thrashed it everywhere because he likes speed only seeing on average 40mpg and spent some serious money on various things breaking on it. In the same time frame that extra 13-15mpg he was getting over my ST which cost me nothing in repairs his money saving diesel cost far more to run and maintain over a year tha both my ST’s did. Moral of the story too many people get hung up on mpg figures

Associate
I find the only people which seem to be somewhat honest with MPG figures are the Japanese. The Toyotas and Mazda I've owned have been pretty close to the mark. Fords have been way off unless you really try hard.

Though I suppose the mk2 Focus ST wasn't too bad, claimed 32 but I used to get 28. 47 combined for the Fiesta ST is a joke though, no chance.

I'm at about 43 mpg in my ST200, so it's not too much of a joke.

Soldato
They claim the new 1.5 fiesta diesel can do 80mpg. So probably about 50-60 in reality.

Not sure I'd actually WANT a 1.5 diesel though.

Associate
Our ST is going next weekend, replacing it with an Octavia vRS as my wife is expecting.

Totally regretted buying it. Made the decision based on a short test drive, really good price and glowing reviews, but on the first long drive (5 hours+) by an hour in I was considering turning around and picking up my older Fiesta Zetec-S or my Elise, even with 4pt harnesses and no radio I'd have genuinely rather have done the trip in it.
Ended up carrying on and passengering home in the back because the front seats were crippling for me. Poor ride quality didn't help, but the excessive lumbar support on the seats and lack of adjustability meant whenever I drove it I was stuffing coats or jumpers behind my back, but never found an arrangement that was comfortable, merely tolerable.

In terms of driving I never rated it, the front axle couldn't cope with the torque over anything less than perfect surfaces (eg. every road in Somerset), numb steering didn't help in terms of feeling what the front wheels were doing and it was very darty on initial turn in which it couldn't quite sustain once the suspension had loaded up - the electronics did a surprisingly good job of holding the car on the edge, but switch them off and it always felt incredibly nervous and borderline unstable mid-corner, particularly in the wet.

To drive quickly I actually MUCH preferred our old Mk6 Zetec-S - a slower car for sure, but far better feedback through the wheel and a chassis setup which flows over the surface rather than feels like it is fighting it.

Engine grew on me a bit (I utterly hated it at first), but I prefer a more linear power delivery and the low-end torque made it very easy to scrub into messy understeer as you exited a corner. People suggested looking at the Mountune kits and others, but looking at dyno graphs these mostly seemed to enhance the low-mid range whilst leaving the top-end a little flat so never explored it further as seemed it would just exacerbate the issue.

Positives were it looked quite good (for a small hatchback) and it was reasonably economical (averaging 39mpg over 20k miles or so, mostly by the OH), other than that I don't have much good to say about them.

The seats were BY FAR the worst part though - having something which made the car so fundamentally unpleasant to be in for even a short time then shone a spotlight on every other niggle you might otherwise look past or learn to drive around.

Back
Top Bottom