Why are you not vegan....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I tried some from Waitrose and they were disgusting
If the sausages are made to resemble meat, they often are horrible . I do not see why vegans wish to see products resembling products from animals or made from animals. It seems counterintuitive. I am quite happy to eat a product made from vegetable protein, nuts etc., which is different in looks and texture from a sausage or burger.
Then again I do enjoy a bit of lambs liver with onions and mashed potatoes.

Soldato
OP
Yeah famously all that meat in peanut butter and I do love me some beef shampoo

Its very easy to get peanut butter or shampoo without palm oil. But what I said is true. Its mainly also in use along with milk in things like biscuits etc.
The above is so full of crap it's hard to know where to begin.

Bull calves (males) go to the same place and undertake the same treatment as a heifer calf (female). They are kept in pens and fed milk which is milked from the dairy herd. They are castrated with rubber bands from very early age (generally few days old) turning them from bulls into bullocks and both bullocks and heifers are de-horned.

Eventually, when old enough they are raised as beef bullocks either on same farm if they run a beef operation or sold at market for beef farms. They are then fattened up over a period of time and sold for beef.

The heifers go into the dairy herd.

See above - you continue to say stupid stuff today.

You shouldnt have to rely on emotionally charged examples to support an argument. You're using child abuse to support an argument on not eating meat? Wow.

Much of the UK (primarily Wales and Scotland) do not have land conducive to non-meat production. Until lab produced meat is available on a commercial scale, how do we feed the UK if everyone turns vegan?

We could try and get greater yields from our veg/grain production but that would involve pesticide use which kills insects (vegans wouldn't like that) or we can be more reliant.on imports which have obvious consequences which we are seeing today with energy.

Do you work on a dairy farm by any chance? What would happen to a baby cow if the mother is in late stage pregnancy when slaughtered?

You better tell the RSPCA theyre full of crap as well....

A lion or tiger doesn't care if a cow, pig or chicken can speak for itself. It just sees food, natural way of nature.

Youre not a lion or tiger.

p.s. PETA have murdered people and done many acts of violence.... whilst feeling completely justified.
p.p.s. PETA is a disgusting organisation. Truly.

I obviously wouldn't agree with that, dont have a problem with direct action though.

Soldato
Depends a bit where you live(d) - in some countries it is very different. My sister got to experience the delights of farming in Egypt and how they slaughter cattle...

The OP was talking about UK practices though and giving complete nonsense as facts to support his arguments.

The fact is a vegan diet is massively more efficient than a standard western meat and dairy based diet. More land will be used to groe crops for human consumption than is currently the vase, but there would be a massive total reduction because currently most crops grown are simply used for animal feed. The freed up land wilk no longer be used for intensive farming and instead of producing massive CO2 costs (largely indirectly, eg fertilizer) will be CO2 if they are returned to forest.

Be aware that large swathes of land used for beef, dairy and sheep are not able to be used for crops given their location and topography - have we just to rewild and grow trees on huge areas of land in Wales and Scotland where, currently, sheep and cattle are farmed?

You mention that the freed up land will no longer be used for intensive farming - you realise that arable farming is intensive and will need to remain so if you take away other sources of food like meat without a commercially available substitute.

Where do we get the extra food from if we remove meat and large areas of land are unable to grow crops?

Soldato
If the sausages are made to resemble meat, they often are horrible . I do not see why vegans wish to see products resembling products from animals or made from animals. It seems counterintuitive. I am quite happy to eat a product made from vegetable protein, nuts etc., which is different in looks and texture from a sausage or burger.

Im the same, Im quite happy eating a nut roast, veggie curries etc. I probably eat a veggie meal once or twice a week. Vegan cheese is also a no no for me, they just dont taste as good

Soldato
OP
I've frequently thought about it, but my desire to eat meat is greater than my desire to not eat it. I don't like industrial farming and really should think about where the food I eat is sourced. But I'd still eat meat.

Nearly bought black pudding today when I went to buy burgers for weekend BBQ.

Would you be upset if you saw or even just heard about a dog or cat being gassed to death with carbon dioxide?

Soldato
Do you work on a dairy farm by any chance? What would happen to a baby cow if the mother is in late stage pregnancy when slaughtered?

You better tell the RSPCA theyre full of crap as well....

Cows-in-calf are not slaughtered so this is a pile of nonsense unless for very rare humane reasons like severe injury and it would be cruel to keep them alive and suffering. Do you agree this would be acceptable?

Your source is the RSPCA in AUSTRALIA. Tell me how that relates to the UK and how our practices are the same?

Soldato
I don't think it is possible to have a healthy vegan diet without humans suffering to cultivate the crops and fruits that are needed. So I don't think there is any moral high ground.

I think you posted a video of a cow being slaughtered in the YouTube thread. I've seen how animals hunt for there food and I've watched animals scream in pain as they are eaten alive, I have watched unborn animals ripped out of their mothers womb and then eaten alive after spending less than a minute on this earth. Its unfortunate that in a slaughter house there deaths are not painless but I am not bothered by it.

Soldato
I considered it but ultimately I prioritise non processed food over the contents having animal products so it cut off a lot of pre-made items. I didn't feel like I could sustain 100% vegetarian food in a trial where I cooked from scratch every meal and this included fish 1-2x a week, let alone reducing the allowable ingredients to that of being vegan.

Soldato
OP

You really cant figure out why? Jeez, ok well its not the taste of meat I dislike, its the cruelty.
I don't think it is possible to have a healthy vegan diet without humans suffering to cultivate the crops and fruits that are needed. So I don't think there is any moral high ground.

I think you posted a video of a cow being slaughtered in the YouTube thread. I've seen how animals hunt for there food and I've watched animals scream in pain as they are eaten alive, I have watched unborn animals ripped out of their mothers womb and then eaten alive after spending less than a minute on this earth. Its unfortunate that in a slaughter house there deaths are not painless but I am not bothered by it.

Yea that was the video that turned me proper vegan tbh. the FSA approved that slaughterhouse (if they even watched it footage I dont know) which I find a bit disturbing.

Indeed, animals eating other animals alive is petty horrific, we don't need to replicate it or do anything similar.

Soldato
I have tried a few vegan bits on a vegan stall at a market and the sausage roll from Greggs and imo they were rank.

I know I cannot gauge all vegan food on a trendy stall and a fast food place, but for me I'm not tempted to try more.

Soldato
Indeed, animals eating other animals alive is petty horrific, we don't need to replicate it or do anything similar.
Blimey, you really are that much of a delicate soul! It's perfectly natural and just part of the life/death cycle. I dont find anything upsetting about watching a nature programme with animals eating each other.
Yea both.

You know how you're most likely against firing a bolt into a dogs head or gassing a cat to death? Well i'm against that for all animals.
I wouldnt be against that if the dog or cat was being processed for food, why would I? I dont suffer from fluffy animal syndrome, life is life whether it's an oyster or a kitten. I would be against it if it was being done for fun, so context matters.

Soldato
I have tried a few vegan bits on a vegan stall at a market and the sausage roll from Greggs and imo they were rank.

I know I cannot gauge all vegan food on a trendy stall and a fast food place, but for me I'm not tempted to try more.

Then again Greggs meat products are also rank.. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom