Why are you not vegan....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
If everyone bought the best quality meat they can afford then we'd be in a much better place imo. Organic is miles better than free range for chickens (space outside etc) as an example so if you can always buy organic. The price is high but then if you only eat it twice a month then you can save for it.

It's the mindset around cheap meat and having to have meat in a meal that is problematic.

Soldato
I usually have 1 vegetarian meal a week but going full vegetarian/vegan would be a bit hard, meat has a certain texture that I'm used too and none of the vegan imitation products come close and in my eyes are probably worse for your health due to them being ultra processed.
I do, peanuts or cashews roasted in a pan with some vegetable oil, chillies and green beans. Add parboiled rice, stir in one egg, add soy to taste.

Leave out egg if vegan.

Soldato
Wouldn't you have a phobia of butter and margarine if you were lactose intolerant?
Well if he was lactose intolerant I would expect him to have said that he was. They way he worded it seemed like it could be some other ingredient Which is why I asked the question. To get clarification.

Man of Honour
I enjoy a balanced diet and in that balance is meat and fish.

That said I do enjoy vegetarian dishes but eggs are such a healthy and nutritionally rich food that it seems daft to exclude it from my diet.

Vegetarianism is actually fairly easy to enjoy, veganism is just too restrictive for me.

I agree the poor treatment of animals is horrid which is why we predominantly buy meat from the butcher here in the countryside and get our eggs from neighbours etc... Does that negate the cruelty? Of course not, but that's what we're doing to try and minimise it. Sure the animal still dies, but having been hunting and to slaughterhouses I'm comfortable with my decision.

The only thing I avoid is dairy purely because it's not all that good for you.

Soldato
No, because death is part of life. Would you dig over your allotment to plant veg, knowing that some worms will be killed and insects too, plus their habitat?

Life forms are killed in vegetable production. Why should a kitten or calf be given higher status than a centipede?
Not only that but plants are living things. By eating plants one is killing. I have no problem with people being Vegetarian or Vegan but they hold zero morale high ground as they are killing just as much if not more then the meat eaters. It always amazes me how many vegetarians don't realize what they are eating was alive and they are killing a living thing. Not all of them but a lot of them don't stop to think what they are eating was alive until they kill it.

Soldato
Not only that but plants are living things. By eating plants one is killing. I have no problem with people being Vegetarian or Vegan but they hold zero morale high ground as they are killing just as much if not more then the meat eaters. It always amazes me how many vegetarians don't realize what they eating was alive and they are killing a living thing. Not all of them but a lot of them don't stop to think what they are eating was alive until they kill it.
What?

Caporegime
Meat, fossil fuels, streaming on the internet and the ever increasing list of things that are causing our demise. I agree that so much agricultural land is used for animal feed 90% on the the tv show and naked scientists when it was last reported but so what? When you live in a world where the population doubles every 70 years stopping eating meat isn’t going to make a jot of difference. There’s lots of environmental damage done by growing plants too. Look at how we have left areas of Peru with water rationing while they grow asparagus for us and the water has been slowly transported out of the area. You think there would be no environmental kickback if we did that on a world scale. We simply have too large populations relying on importing far too much food.

Environmental population movement from unliveable areas would swallow up that agricultural land anyway. We need to address the actual problem of population growth and having economies that don‘t fall apart without it. But that’s not a vote winner.

I have cut down my meat intake anyway, I try not to eat it on a work day But only because I feel better and less lethargic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom