Why are you not vegan....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I guess just like with the alphabet community, they have to let everyone know. Same with vegans, too many people want to feel special so they tell everyone but on the whole, nobody really cares what they do.

Soldato
OP
Aspects of it seem pointless when it's just stopping the exploitation of for eggs laid by a rescue hen etc. sure the animals have technically been "exploited" but realistically there isn't really much of a cruelty argument if the hen was otherwise due to be killed because it's old/doesn't lay so frequently.

Likewise, not eating muscles, oysters, scallops etc. if you can eat plants or fungus then why not eat those too?

Yea theres some argument for consuming eggs from hens youve rescued, although it takes a lot out of them because the way theyve been bred so you can feed them back to the hens for nutrition.

I'm not sure of the muscles and oysters capacity for suffering, but then I never ate seafood anyway.

After a v.quick google... "However, as oysters do not have a central nervous system, they are not believed to be sentient and so don't feel pain....."

Soldato
I will eat meat until something tastier comes along for the same price, ideally healthier as well.

When a decent meat substitute does come along it will stop the killing of animals but there will also be a lot less of them. That's good for climate change but a drastic change for communities in the countryside and the farming way of life.

Soldato
OP
OP are you one of those Insulate Britain nutters who alienates everyone and turns them off to their message because they just shout at people about how bad they are?

Certainly come across that way.
Na I wouldnt support sitting on the A1 to help veganism. I think because I had just watched a bit of this documetary ( https://www.landofhopeandglory.org/ ) so emotions were a bit "high", hence why I renamed the title.

Associate
My partner went vegan about 4 years ago, no particular reason than she just wanted to stop eating animals. I definitely eat less meat than I did, and a lot less red meat, but I still enjoy a steak now and then and there is no pressure for me to stop. Inalso find myself consciously choosing higher welfare meat, but that's partly because it tastes better.

It annoys us both that Vegnism has become the new byword for "healthy eating". If you actually look at the ingredients on a lot of the "alternatives" they are heavily processed and loaded with salt and other junk so not the healthy option they're trying to pass themslves off as.

In all honesty it's made little difference to either of us other than we have less space in the fridge door for milk and we have to use one more pan when cooking. Personally, I don't understand all the hate, from either side. If you want to get worked up about food, there are far more deserving arguments than how many vegetables someone eats.

/Salsa

Soldato
Yea I grew up near a dairy farm. All the horrors were hidden though, like baby male calves being murdered straight away or left to suffocate in the dead mother or sold for veal.

The above is so full of crap it's hard to know where to begin.

Bull calves (males) go to the same place and undertake the same treatment as a heifer calf (female). They are kept in pens and fed milk which is milked from the dairy herd. They are castrated with rubber bands from very early age (generally few days old) turning them from bulls into bullocks and both bullocks and heifers are de-horned.

Eventually, when old enough they are raised as beef bullocks either on same farm if they run a beef operation or sold at market for beef farms. They are then fattened up over a period of time and sold for beef.

The heifers go into the dairy herd.

It is a shame yea but its what you're up against, and tbh, I do like such polarized topics, a lot of it comes from ignorance anyway and I would no doubt have said similar stupid stuff 5yrs ago.

See above - you continue to say stupid stuff today.

Which I accept, and I agree, some emat can taste amazing. But that in itself doesn't mean that you should. Child molesters enoy what they do, that doesn't make it right.

You shouldnt have to rely on emotionally charged examples to support an argument. You're using child abuse to support an argument on not eating meat? Wow.

Much of the UK (primarily Wales and Scotland) do not have land conducive to non-meat production. Until lab produced meat is available on a commercial scale, how do we feed the UK if everyone turns vegan?

We could try and get greater yields from our veg/grain production but that would involve pesticide use which kills insects (vegans wouldn't like that) or we can be more reliant.on imports which have obvious consequences which we are seeing today with energy.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'm not vegan because I don't want to be and it's not yet mandatory. Simple as that.

I do eat a fair bit of vegan food, but not because I have any ethical objections to eating cooked animal flesh. I eat a fair bit of vegan food partly for environmental considerations but mainly because a lot of vegan food is good eating. Except for the fake cheese. That stuff is foul. Maybe there are some adequate fake cheeses, but I gave several a try and they were all very bad indeed.

My main gripes about veganism are the people who preach it (which not all vegans do - it's just that the ones who do get all the attention), the false health claims (lacking meat doesn't automatically make food healthier) and the false claims about what the food is. Don't call it bacon when it's not bacon, etc. I know of a place that sells "vegan meatballs with pasta". That's an obvious lie. Either they're vegan or they're meatballs. It's impossible for them to be both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom