Why are you not vegan....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
I'm not sure of the muscles and oysters capacity for suffering, but then I never ate seafood anyway.

After a v.quick google... "However, as oysters do not have a central nervous system, they are not believed to be sentient and so don't feel pain....."

Yup, ergo the purists who don't eat them are perhaps being silly (obvs not liking seafood in general aside), doesn't seem to be too different to eating a plant.

Soldato
Oh right, if I like to kick dogs, thats ok then? Personal choice after all.

Your choices have a victim, that's what vegans take issue with.

'I'. Peta kill
FittingTalkativeHagfish-size_restricted.gif
so... 99.9% of people then LMAO

p.s. PETA have murdered people and done many acts of violence.... whilst feeling completely justified.
p.p.s. PETA is a disgusting organisation. Truly.

Soldato
My cousin was a vegan, she got cancer. She couldnt have chemo because her Iron was too low so had to eat steak literally in the hospital cafe to save her life.

Now obviously theres alternatives but theres pros and cons to everything. Personally I've cut my meat levels down massively. I wont eat it at home at all...why? Because it simply doesnt digest well and tbh i dont care for it. I do find that school kids at a primary school level are not eating a lot of meat. My kids are veggie, all their mates are as well. There's is so many alternatives they dont see any downsides.

Id never be a vegan but a veggie? light work.

Soldato
I’ve thought about this a fair bit and I’m certain that vegetarians and vegans have the moral upper hand on this one for so many reasons.

That said, even though I’m happy to acknowledge that you’re right and I’m wrong, I’m a massive lover of meat and an absolute bbq-holic. As such, I’m just not ready to change, even though I acknowledge that your arguments are superior to any defence I could realistically muster.

I’m very progressive in most areas, so maybe in a decade or so when smoking a few racks of ribs on a Saturday afternoon over a cold pint or two has lost its charm, then I’ll be hanging up my tongs; but for right now, i’m just not quite there, sorry.

Soldato
Since I bought a Traeger a few years back I have become pals with my local butcher. He's Vietnamese so majority of his business is serving the Vietnamese community. He only has one shop though, its on a street opposite a market (where there are half a dozen other butchers) in a suburb of inner city Melbourne. He told me the other week that in pork alone he sells around the equivalent of 90 pigs per month and those folk tend not to waste very much of the animal.
If you took that away what would people eat instead? Where are we going to grow all this extra food?

Soldato
I've casually wondered what would happen to the (farm) animals if nobody ate meat, eggs and milk etc. Would they cease to exist as we would no longer have a need for them?

That's essentially what vegetarians/vegans want is it not, the extinction of any animals bred for the sole purpose of feeding the world. The murderers!

Soldato
Around 75-80% of agricultural land is used entirely to support animals. Thus, moving to a vegan diet will free up massive amounts of land that can be returned to nature.

But your point is really a fallacy. Just because we cannot 100% absolve all problems without ceasing to exists doesn't mean we should not take steps to limit out impact.
But wouldn't you need to mass increase the agricultural land to farm a significant amount more 'vegan friendly' foods if you stopped eating meat, and if we were to let nature take its own course with animals they would still reproduce, eat, produce methane etc. Maybe not on the scale they do in mass produced meat farms, but still the point remains.

Also interestingly, do Vegans refuse things like vaccines, anti-venoms etc which sometimes and often were developed with animal products either in testing and/or throughout the cycle. The COVID-19 vaccines were tested on animals for example, hope you've not been vaccinated.

Also you keep eating my foods food you animal abusers.

Soldato
Facts are not, but how you word them (and also a lot of the responses to meat eaters) are.

You've made assumptions (wrongly) that all the people who buy / eat meat have done zero research into the food that they eat. You've also wrongly assumed people have no moral stance on the matter, even though meat is one of the most nutrient dense food that you can buy and in tough times there are no easy choices for some.

You'll continue to double down on your holier-than-though standpoint which is not debate , nor discussion as you will refuse to see any other point of view.

Therefore, not an SC worthy thread.

Its of a part with the cancel culture that pervades political and activist groupthink in general; this idea is the correct one no other viewpoint will be tolerated I am right you are wrong deal with it.

Sanctuaries lol. Absolutely no chance, there’s not enough sanctuaries in the universe.

The abattoirs would be working constantly for months killing them all.

They'd end up in embyro and sperm banks like all the other endangered species, a collection of cells in a test tube stored for... goodness know what purpose in the future. The wild ancestors of cattle are extinct because no-one wanted them around or more to the point it wasn't economically viable to have them around.

Man of Honour
I have a very strange and inconsistent relationship with vegetables - not just being picky.

For instance Horseradish doesn't bother me and I actually like it as a condiment with some meats, etc. but Parsnips in any form the texture, smell, taste produces a sensation kind of like licking a woolly jumper. Most vegetables, some exceptions aside, in general I find pretty revolting some even making me feel physically sick at the thought of eating. It is a strange physical/mental barrier I'd have to be pretty much on the point of starving to death to overcome and certainly won't do it to entertain anyone else.

So while I'd happily change to a decent meat substitute if such existed it isn't likely to happen any time soon.

The above is so full of crap it's hard to know where to begin.

Depends a bit where you live(d) - in some countries it is very different. My sister got to experience the delights of farming in Egypt and how they slaughter cattle...

Last edited:
Caporegime
Not a vegan because I can afford not to be and am utterly disconnected from production so don't really care too much.
Everytime this comes up I say it's just a matter of time, maybe a generation or 2 of brainwashing/social engineering until the planets majority vegan.
Everyone will be eating bugs if the Illuminati get their way.

Caporegime
But wouldn't you need to mass increase the agricultural land to farm a significant amount more 'vegan friendly' foods if you stopped eating meat, and if we were to let nature take its own course with animals they would still reproduce, eat, produce methane etc. Maybe not on the scale they do in mass produced meat farms, but still the point remains.

Also interestingly, do Vegans refuse things like vaccines, anti-venoms etc which sometimes and often were developed with animal products either in testing and/or throughout the cycle. The COVID-19 vaccines were tested on animals for example, hope you've not been vaccinated.

Also you keep eating my foods food you animal abusers.
The fact is a vegan diet is massively more efficient than a standard western meat and dairy based diet. More land will be used to groe crops for human consumption than is currently the vase, but there would be a massive total reduction because currently most crops grown are simply used for animal feed. The freed up land wilk no longer be used for intensive farming and instead of producing massive CO2 costs (largely indirectly, eg fertilizer) will be CO2 if they are returned to forest.

The rest of your post slips in to the usual nonsense.

Soldato
The fact is a vegan diet is massively more efficient than a standard western meat and dairy based diet. More land will be used to groe crops for human consumption than is currently the vase, but there would be a massive total reduction because currently most crops grown are simply used for animal feed. The freed up land wilk no longer be used for intensive farming and instead of producing massive CO2 costs (largely indirectly, eg fertilizer) will be CO2 if they are returned to forest.

The rest of your post slips in to the usual nonsense.
Nah, they would build houses on the land instead as its more profitable to do so.... Lol.

Soldato
Which I accept, and I agree, some emat can taste amazing. But that in itself doesn't mean that you should. Child molesters enoy what they do, that doesn't make it right.

Eating meat and dairy has consequences, and although nothing is binary, you can make life choices that reduce your negative impact on the planet, other humans and animals.

Eating meat does affect other people negatively. Catastrophic climate change will impact the lives of billions. There are lots of factors, but eating meat and dairy is a significant contributing factor, and something we have the ability to mitigate to a very high degree
Well my reply was a flippant answer to a flippant question posed by OP.

I have sympathy with the morale inconsistency and hypocrisy argument, with the acknowledgement and contribution, of what is or is not involved in the manufacture of such products and the impact this has on an over populating planet.

Personally, I'm ambivalent at best or apathetic at worse about the manufacture and consumption of meat and diary products. I will say I consume less meat protein than I once did as my tastes mature and as my diet has got "healthier". As other posters have suggested; until a viable, cost equivalent and "just as tasty" options become available, my focus and energies are living a happy and enjoyable life.

Good luck to everyone else and their own in attempting to enjoy theirs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom