Why are you not vegan....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Meat, fossil fuels, streaming on the internet and the ever increasing list of things that are causing our demise. I agree that so much agricultural land is used for animal feed 90% on the the tv show and naked scientists when it was last reported but so what? When you live in a world where the population doubles every 70 years stopping eating meat isn’t going to make a jot of difference. There’s lots of environmental damage done by growing plants too. Look at how we have left areas of Peru with water rationing while they grow asparagus for us and the water has been slowly transported out of the area. You think there would be no environmental kickback if we did that on a world scale. We simply have too large populations relying on importing far too much food.

Environmental population movement from unliveable areas would swallow up that agricultural land anyway. We need to address the actual problem of population growth and having economies that don‘t fall apart without it. But that’s not a vote winner.

I have cut down my meat intake anyway, I try not to eat it on a work day But only because I feel better and less lethargic.
Ah yes, the classic "stack these jobs on top of one another and don't think about the next step till you've done this step"

I guess you are anti-electric car too?

Soldato
Oversimplifying plants are classed as living organisms. A lot of Vegetarians go on and on about how its wrong eating living organisms while being completely oblivious to the fact the plants they are eating are living organisms. To eat a plant you have to kill a living organism. Some Vegetarians don't link what they are doing with killing but they are killing something that was alive.

Soldato
Oversimplifying plants are classed as living organisms. A lot of Vegetarians go on and on about how its wrong eating living organisms while being completely oblivious to the fact the plants they are eating are living organisms. To eat a plant you have to kill a living organism.
That isn't the 200 IQ comparison you think it is

Caporegime
In nearly full vegetarian and majority of meals are vegan. But too weak to give up cheese and do have meat sometimes out. But not all the time.

I grew up in farming which usually turns you full carnivore as you don't care or you see everything and can't handle the cruelty.

I eat no chicken products. As I love chickens too much. Haven't eaten chicken meat for about 15 years. And only eat my own hens eggs.

I do hope one day farming of animals for meat does stop. I think it will. I think in the future alternatives will become so cheap and so good that farming and slaughtering animals will die off.

What I don't agree with is people saying "we've always done it" and reasons like that. Just admit you're OK with the cruelty.

What I cannot handle is some of the barbarism that goes on particularly in the far East. Those are things you don't want to know about. It makes me feel sick seeing that. It's cruelty for cruelties sake.
There's not many things that make me think full human extinction is a good thing. But that, yes. I would have no guilt wishing the worst on those people who do that.

It's a deep topic. I can't pretend I'm a Saint. I absolutely am not. But I do think meat eating particularly in the west will die off.

Soldato
What I don't agree with is people saying "we've always done it" and reasons like that. Just admit you're OK with the cruelty.
Projection. Our economy/way of life is built on the exploitation of poor people from countries far away. Every person has the right to draw their own line.

Caporegime
Projection. Our economy/way of life is built on the exploitation of poor people from countries far away. Every person has the right to draw their own line.

Yes absolutely. I know why people do it. To sleep at night people can always justify thier own actions.

My gf is a big environmentist type. But she will still turn the heating up. But call out things she is good at.
She will still fly for example also.

Soldato
That isn't the 200 IQ comparison you think it is
Now you have me saying what? It was never intended as a 200 IQ comparison nor was it targeted at all vegetarians. Just the ones that sit on a high horse and target meat eaters on moral grounds of its wrong to kill anything.

Associate
This was always bound to be a lively topic.

Personally I think it's up to the individual to do their own research and then come to their own conclusions, and there is plenty of information out there supporting both sides of the argument.

I did this 2 years ago and ended up switching to a vegan diet and to be honest I couldn't feel better about the whole thing. And this is from a person that wouldn't consider a meal as a proper meal unless it had some kind of meat in it!

Obviously it's a change that I'd like to see more people switch to, but we have to be realistic here, it's a process that would (and should) be gradual. Everyone going vegan overnight would probably create more problems than it would solve! It's a process that should take generations if it's going to happen properly.

In the meantime am I going to hate on meat eaters? Of course not, very few people in my life are vegan, and I have to acknowledge that I am in the minority here. Whilst I've made the change I accept that's it's not the most important thing on many people's agenda's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom