Why are you not vegan....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Now you have me saying what? It was never intended as a 200 IQ comparison nor was it targeted at all vegetarians. Just the ones that sit on a high horse and target meat eaters on moral grounds of its wrong to kill anything.
Okay but for your own benefit, keep that speech about them being morally bankrupt because they eat "living" plants to yourself as it really is quite a silly comparison.

Permabanned
Inflammatory OP or not, we could all benefit from at least cutting down on consumption or trying to source it locally to support smaller businesses. My appreciation for quality produce and having meat become a weekly novelty as apposed to a daily banality has been great. In some ways it's made me a better home cook as I make more of an effort with the meal in general. There's a sense of occasion to it now and it's something I look forward to taking the time to prepare. I could never cut it out entirely, but I do not regret my decision to limiting it. For myself and I think for a lot of people a biproduct of doing so is that you end up eating healthier because you're not leaning on junk meat substitutes so much to fill the void on the plate. It probably helps that my palette favors a lot of East Asian cuisine which profits from a lot of meat free dishes. Tofu is the bomb.

Soldato
Ad hominem!!1
Actually it isn't an ad hominem as that would imply that there was some sort of argument or point made in your post that I replied to. Its actually a straight insult, in the same way that your post was.

This is the second time now you have been more than happy to dish it but seem to struggle to take it.

Capodecina
Soldato
I think the main problems are ignorance and cultural conditioning, I recently found that baby male chicks are either ground up alive or gassed at 1 day old because they're useless in the egg industry.

This is true. I still eat eggs though because I love them.

I tried to go vegan a few weeks ago. I made a thread about it. I think I lasted about a week. I just can't do it. There are too many non-vegan things that I love.

I only know one person in my life who has stuck to any diet, which is my ex gf. She was vegetarian and apparently had always been since a child so it was easy for her. I don't know anyone else who has stuck to such a diet longer than a few days.

EDIT: I have a colleague who managed to stay vegetarian for 2-3 years. Then she went to an Indian restaurant and when she saw someone order a sizzling chicken main course she caved in.

Caporegime
This was always bound to be a lively topic.

Personally I think it's up to the individual to do their own research and then come to their own conclusions, and there is plenty of information out there supporting both sides of the argument.

I did this 2 years ago and ended up switching to a vegan diet and to be honest I couldn't feel better about the whole thing. And this is from a person that wouldn't consider a meal as a proper meal unless it had some kind of meat in it!

Obviously it's a change that I'd like to see more people switch to, but we have to be realistic here, it's a process that would (and should) be gradual. Everyone going vegan overnight would probably create more problems than it would solve! It's a process that should take generations if it's going to happen properly.

In the meantime am I going to hate on meat eaters? Of course not, very few people in my life are vegan, and I have to acknowledge that I am in the minority here. Whilst I've made the change I accept that's it's not the most important thing on many people's agenda's.

Is hard not to at least cut down when you really know what goes on.
Even seeing my ex battery hens.. Which are only for eggs! And the state they arrive in... If you don't feel some empathy you're probably broken.

The meat birds.. Absolutely horrible. I can't even think about it.

Man of Honour
I think cutting down on meat isn't a bad idea, we certainly have but going full vegetarian isn't on the cards for now. We do 2 days a week where we don't have meat. Probably pointless in the grand scheme of things but it helps make you more creative in the kitchen. Plus I love lentils and chickpeas so a great excuse for more of those!

2 fresh eggs every day though - I love my neighbours for that.

If people want to be vegan that's excellent but I can't stand virtue signalling by the extreme vegans.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Yes absolutely. I know why people do it. To sleep at night people can always justify thier own actions.

My gf is a big environmentist type. But she will still turn the heating up. But call out things she is good at.
She will still fly for example also.

And this is the issue isn't it. A lot of vegans/vegetarians I know who cite environmental reasons/cruelty for their diet and then use fast fashion, travel the world by plane, drive massive dirty cars, drive everywhere etc.

You can't have it both ways. I eat meat but I am trying to cut down a bit. I do as much other stuff as I can to avoid my environmental impact as well. Once it comes to something I really want to do though, I will do it. Therefore I don't preach at people who make their own choices. I think that as a society we need to do more but until countries like the US pull their fingers out even a little, nothing we do will make a dent.

Soldato
Inflammatory OP or not, we could all benefit from at least cutting down on consumption or trying to source it locally to support smaller businesses. My appreciation for quality produce and having meat become a weekly novelty as apposed to a daily banality has been great. In some ways it's made me a better home cook as I make more of an effort with the meal in general. There's a sense of occasion to it now and it's something I look forward to taking the time to prepare. I could never cut it out entirely, but I do not regret my decision to limiting it. For myself and I think for a lot of people a biproduct of doing so is that you end up eating healthier because you're not leaning on junk meat substitutes so much to fill the void on the plate. It probably helps that my palette favors a lot of East Asian cuisine which profits from a lot of meat free dishes.
While I understand the environmental impact of farming animals, I went flexitarian because of the animal cruelty. Having tried full vegetarian, it found it pretty easy to swap out meat for vegetables, beans, etc. and still being able to enjoy the meal. Honestly, chicken or beef filler in food doesn't add much, but I'll sneak in a good steak or burger.

Overall, I'm healthier and still have the high quality meat meals once or twice a week - feels like a good balance. Going vegan is too much admin.

Associate
Makes me laugh all this “I’ve cut out 95% of meet” “I’m almost vegetarian” and so on.

It’s like an alcoholic saying they’ve been sober for 20 years but drinks a pint of vodka every Friday night :D:D

Caporegime
And this is the issue isn't it. A lot of vegans/vegetarians I know who cite environmental reasons/cruelty for their diet and then use fast fashion, travel the world by plane, drive massive dirty cars, drive everywhere etc.

You can't have it both ways. I eat meat but I am trying to cut down a bit. I do as much other stuff as I can to avoid my environmental impact as well. Once it comes to something I really want to do though, I will do it. Therefore I don't preach at people who make their own choices. I think that as a society we need to do more but until countries like the US pull their fingers out even a little, nothing we do will make a dent.

I don't agree with the way militant vegans push their agenda. Because it naturally puts people on the defensive.

A better way is to encourage rather than belittle. Try to get people to cut down. And say that's good.
Once people start down that path they usually progress down it. Just getting people to think about it without pressure is the way to promote.

Soldato
Makes me laugh all this “I’ve cut out 95% of meet” “I’m almost vegetarian” and so on.

It’s like an alcoholic saying they’ve been sober for 20 years but drinks a pint of vodka every Friday night :D:D
What?

Honestly, are you guys digging in the barrel of crap comparisons today or have you all just caught "jubilee holiday brain"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom