Why are you not vegan....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
When you have an animal it becomes quite hard to actually eat that animal. Who would eat a dog in the UK? I know some of you would! :D

This is Claudia. Shes my really dog like hen. And she really does love a to be held.

mXtl1ybl.jpg

Soldato
Because I like meat in basically everything. As a main event, as a snack or part of a light lunch. In my 32 years on this Earth the closest I've gotten to having a vegetarian meal is just having some chips from the chippy.

I've got no beef qualms with those who chose to be a vegan or vegetarian (my brother is the former) but it's just not for me. I enjoy meat and fish too much.

Caporegime
I can’t remember the last time I had a dinner without meat. I’ve certainly never had a vegan meal, unless you count soup as a meal.

I find it impossible to avoid it as I don’t like any meat substitutes.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I don't agree with the way militant vegans push their agenda. Because it naturally puts people on the defensive.

A better way is to encourage rather than belittle. Try to get people to cut down. And say that's good.
Once people start down that path they usually progress down it. Just getting people to think about it without pressure is the way to promote.

I think people overestimate how much effort goes into a lot of peoples cooking and diet in general as well.

Look around you, most people are overweight and unhealthy. I don't think there are that many overweight people who are dedicated followers of healthy eating or lifestyle.

You are simply fighting an impossible battle until so much else about society changes. We are constantly trying to normalise toxic life choices as well.

Not going to lie, I love meat. You can make delicious vegetarian dishes but they are not the same and thats OK. They need to move away from the "this is just like chicken", "this is like bacon". No it isn't. There is nothing vegan that can replace a steak or a beautifully barbecued piece of chicken thigh that I have ever tasted. What I want is for lab grown meat to become good and affordable so I can eat it without the potential cruelty and environmental impact.

Soldato
What I don't agree with is people saying "we've always done it" and reasons like that. Just admit you're OK with the cruelty.
I have to admit when i think of an animal being killed for food it is a horrible thought. The fear they go through ect. But last night i had a lamb chop and it was lovely, and tonight i'll have a lamb curry.
I just accept that i am a flawed human being( or all humans are somewhat flawed?) and carry on.

Soldato
I'm pretty sure that if I met a 'hyper car' (insert anything similarly rare or impressive) owner and a vegan at the same time, I'd hear about the vegan thing first and in greater detail without wanting any detail.

Caporegime
I have to admit when i think of an animal being killed for food it is a horrible thought. The fear they go through ect. But last night i had a lamb chop and it was lovely, and tonight i'll have a lamb curry.
I just accept that i am a flawed human being( or all humans are somewhat flawed?) and carry on.

Yeah it's too much for me. I've guilt tripped myself into it.
But I'll still fly out to countries. So obviously I'm 'ok' with that damage to the environment etc.

I'd love to claim I'm not having kids for environmental reasons. But it would be a lie. It's because I don't want kids.

People are free to make thier own choices. But do hope people think about those choices rather than ploughing on in ignorance or denial.

Soldato
I've raised, dispatched and prepared chicken from day old to table in the past. I do think that we should continue raising our welfare standards and I'm happy that the UK has long been a forefront of those changes.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I can’t remember the last time I had a dinner without meat. I’ve certainly never had a vegan meal, unless you count soup as a meal.

I find it impossible to avoid it as I don’t like any meat substitutes.

The trick is not to think about finding meat substitutes and instead adapt the meals you make. I think this is one of the silliest things the industry has tried to do honestly. There is nothing that tastes like chicken. There is nothing that tastes like beef so when people try them they compare and think "this isn't anything like as good" and go back.

Curries and stirfrys are great meals to avoid meat in. I have really started enjoying tofu lately but its a bit of a bugger to cook well. Some of the change is simply adapting your palette.

Traditional cooking in the UK lends itself awfully to vegetarian cooking as well. The old "meat and two veg" is dull at the best of times and removing the meat makes it outright depressing. You have to look further afield for tasty recipies.

My go to meals with no meat are:

Curries, stir frys, risottos, pasta dishes.

I still probably eat mean 3-4 times a week. I just try not to eat it every meal.

Caporegime
I've raised, dispatched and prepared chicken from day old to table in the past. I do think that we should continue raising our welfare standards and I'm happy that the UK has long been a forefront of those changes.

I had much less of a problem eating animals (chicken when I did) when it was killed on farm quickly. Rather than in a broiler house and a slaughter house.

Caporegime
The trick is not to think about finding meat substitutes and instead adapt the meals you make. I think this is one of the silliest things the industry has tried to do honestly. There is nothing that tastes like chicken. There is nothing that tastes like beef so when people try them they compare and think "this isn't anything like as good" and go back.

Curries and stirfrys are great meals to avoid meat in. I have really started enjoying tofu lately but its a bit of a bugger to cook well. Some of the change is simply adapting your palette.

Traditional cooking in the UK lends itself awfully to vegetarian cooking as well. The old "meat and two veg" is dull at the best of times and removing the meat makes it outright depressing. You have to look further afield for tasty recipies.

My go to meals with no meat are:

Curries, stir frys, risottos, pasta dishes.

I still probably eat mean 3-4 times a week. I just try not to eat it every meal.
I remember this ad got me really fancying a veg chilli but I never got round to it

Caporegime
I am not vegan because:

A. I enjoy meat
B. I avoid cheaply produced meat where possible
C. I consider myself to have 'climate credits' due to me not doing things like 'owning a car' and 'wasting energy', which I cash in to cancel out any 'meat & dairy guilt'
D. Pancake (which needs eggs, milk, and butter)

fez

fez

Caporegime
I think this is the big one that needs to legislated against. Cheap meat, or meat in products where the meat is indistinguishable from whatever else it is, should be outlawed.

American Hot Dogs prime example. Absolutely revolting stuff.

That would 100% be considered legislation against the poor. People would lose their ****.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom