Why are you not vegan....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
OP is right. Vegans have the moral high ground. There is no justifiable reason to eat meat. It’s unnecessary, barbaric, forces animals into suffering, pain and death.

I reiterate, eating meat is wrong. It can’t not be.

And that's an opinion you are entitled to but to say that Vegans have the moral high ground and pass it off as fact rather than opinion is wrong and bordering on arrogant.

So let's stop meat production and animal products of all kinds including fishing and ban meat and animal derived products to the UK.

How do we feed this country?
Where do we redeploy the workers?

Man of Honour
To answer the original poster -

Because I like meat, I like its taste I like its texture. I love bacon, love steak, love hotdogs , burgers, roast chicken, love squid, octopus and various other seafoods. Absolutely adored the taste of bison when I first had it and so on. I've tried some vegan "alternatives" but no matter what it was it just didnt taste the same. Few things are as satisfying first thing in the morning than a fresh bacon and egg butty. So, the bottom line is, I eat meats because I like them.

Caporegime
Wouldn't eat a dog or a cat but all I can see in that picture is a perfectly nice meal :) When I was growing up my grandparents kept chickens and pigs. One of my earliest memories (and no it's not a scary one :D) of my grandma is how we killed and processed a whole chicken. What we didn't eat, like chicken feet, was minced and fed to pigs. Every winter the whole family would come to my grandparents' and we'd slaughter a pig and process every single part of it in one way or another. We'd do this 2 or 3 times throughout the winter depending how many pigs they had.

Iirc we would shred them then mix them with veggies, grains etc and fed back to pigs.

As for the OP, I eat meat cos I enjoy it but am perfectly happy to go without it, my previous gf was a prescitarian so other than fish I rarely had meat at home and only ordered it when I was out.

Are you part of my family? My grandparents kept chickens and pigs! :D

Associate
I'm educated and had two vegans in the house on Sunday.
Lots of questions were asked by other family and I know all the arguments for honey & milk production etc however the one thing the Vegans can't answer is what do we do with all the cows, sheep etc when judgement day comes and we are all told 'No more eating meat'.
Where do they go, how do they live?
Of course the Vegans say well somebody will have to look after them but who is going to do a job for nothing - all the Vegans?
When winter arrives and all those animals are living free in the forest it will be mass slaughter.
In the future we will be taking our kids to see all these farm animals in a zoo if Vegans get their way.
If everyone gave up meat/animal products at the same time this argument would hold. But in reality it will be a slow reduction on consumption leading to a slowing down of breeding animals.

Caporegime
If everyone gave up meat/animal products at the same time this argument would hold. But in reality it will be a slow reduction on consumption leading to a slowing down of breeding animals.

Yeah its a poor argument people often throw out 'the cows will go extinct'

It simply doesn't hold.

Soldato
It simply doesn't hold.
curious as to why you think that does't hold. apart from as livestock animals what other use do we have cows and sheep. will humans simply stop breeding them? would they go extinct? what's the end game for cows and sheep if humans went plant based diet only?

p.s. genuine question as i've never bothered looking in to it. i like my steaks too much :)

Soldato

It simply doesn't hold.

It's an interesting argument though as some varieties have done just that or are in the risk of doing just that are they not? I personally don't believe they will, because we have bred them for specific taste/size on a massive scale at the moment.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesal...ause-no-one-wants-to-eat-them?t=1654084056884

I obviously don't know the veracity of this, but it's an interesting read.

Soldato
IMO the consumption of meat in principle will never be amoral, as in I don't think it's necessarily cruel to eat other animals for sustenance. It is literally how nature works. We are designed to eat it, it is designed to be eaten. So anyone who says that all meat eaters are automatically in the wrong, isn't starting out on a good footing.

You can certainly form a good argument from an environmental perspective, and it's very hard to argue that a reduction in meat consumption isn't in the best interest of humans, and the rest of the earth and its inhabitants.

On welfare, again it's hard to argue that we shouldn't strive for higher standards. And anyone who does eat meat should share some responsibility for that. We should phase out battery hens as soon as possible, never import foreign beef, and ideally any meat.

The response of 'because I like meat hurr durr' is a bit pointless, I think the idea is that there is a cost to meat consumption beside what you pay for it in the supermarket/butchers - to the animal itself, and the environment - and at the very least you need to be aware of those costs and be able to justify the decision, rather than just say 'I like the taste'.

Soldato

It simply doesn't hold.

It's not an argument, it's simply fact that removing the reliant on animal products, livestock numbers will drastically dwindle due to us having no use for them. They're unlikely to become extinct as Zoo's and small number of owners will keep them and possibly some will be wild, although there's a safety issue with some animals, but it'll be a minute fraction of what we have now.

There's also the fact that other animals that we use will mostly likely need to be culled to keep numbers low.

Caporegime
curious as to why you think that does't hold. apart from as livestock animals what other use do we have cows and sheep. will humans simply stop breeding them? would they go extinct? what's the end game for cows and sheep if humans went plant based diet only?

p.s. genuine question as i've never bothered looking in to it. i like my steaks too much :)

I don't think something we manufactured going extinct is really important.
These 'breeds' would dissappear. But the species wouldn't go extinct (ie ones which do live in a natural habitat).

It's a bad argument in my opinion as these animals are all going to be slaughtered anyway. Thier fate is same either way.
But no more would be born (if we stopped eating meat and dairy universally tomorrow).

It may help to know my views on meat...

Reason Ive cut down dramatically and a lot of meats completely is animal welfare. Not environmental.
I put myself in the animals shoes. I don't care if my species goes extinct. It's the suffering of that animal. That individual I care about.

Caporegime
It's not an argument, it's simply fact that removing the reliant on animal products, livestock numbers will drastically dwindle due to us having no use for them. They're unlikely to become extinct as Zoo's and small number of owners will keep them and possibly some will be wild, although there's a safety issue with some animals, but it'll be a minute fraction of what we have now.

There's also the fact that other animals that we use will mostly likely need to be culled to keep numbers low.

They'd be culled anyway. Their fate is sealed. But no more animals would go through the same processing.

In reality it would happen gradually.

Soldato
Is it wrong to eat something that hasn't been killed to be eaten? I mean things that died for other reasons (old age, fell off a cliff, road kill). I remember hearing that Buddhists can eat animals that died for non-eating reasons.

Permabanned

p.s. genuine question as i've never bothered looking in to it. i like my mat too much.
Lawnmowers after people become unable to afford petrol cows and sheep will be a cheap eco friendly alternative.

Lawnmower will become lawn mooer

Caporegime
Is it wrong to eat something that hasn't been killed to be eaten? I mean things that died for other reasons (old age, fell off a cliff, road kill). I remember hearing that Buddhists can eat animals that died for non-eating reasons.

If your reason for not eating meat is "I don't want to cause unnecessary suffering" then yes its fine.

Capodecina
Soldato

I don't see how that would be wrong. If you don't eat it the worms will. Maybe you'd feel bad for depriving other organisms of more food.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
If your reason for not eating meat is "I don't want to cause unnecessary suffering" then yes its fine.
It was a question for the assertors that "eating meat can never be morally ok". I don't think other meat-eating animals stop to worry about the morality of it. They eat each other alive. How about that for suffering?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom