Why are you not vegan....

Status
Not open for further replies.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Lots of questions were asked by other family and I know all the arguments for honey & milk production etc however the one thing the Vegans can't answer is what do we do with all the cows, sheep etc when judgement day comes and we are all told 'No more eating meat'.

Thats an easy one. We won't have that issue. Slowly we would phase out meat and the stocks of all these animals would naturally reduce over time. Supply and demand. Take chickens for example. Within 6 months you could probably reduce the world chicken supply by 90% or more simply by not breeding more.

Also, anyone saying that richmond vegan sausages are OK need to qualify that by telling us if they eat normal richmond sausages. If the answer is yes then you have no taste and shouldn't be commenting on meat substitutes. You are already eating an imitation sausage when you eat a richmonds.

Soldato
Is it wrong to eat something that hasn't been killed to be eaten? I mean things that died for other reasons (old age, fell off a cliff, road kill).

That's a fair question especially given animals that are, or will need to be in a "animal free" world, culled - think game, leporidae etc.

If they're getting shot either way, should we be able to consume it?

Permabanned
I’ve seen the documentary Food inc, it’s absolutely disgusting but regardless I love to eat meat. Very few things to me beat a nice juicy burger or roast beef I love the stuff.

Look I’d love to live in a World where animals are treated as well as Humans but I’d say we already do really. We already treat humans as cattle or numbers for the pursuit of capitalism, we already exploit and kill humans for our own benefit, directly or indirectly. It’s a nice thought but it’s pie in the sky.

That said I have nothing against vegans at all as much as I have nothing against religious people, but for gods sake shut up with your preaching because I really don’t care for it. I was a smoker for a number of years but stopped about a year ago, not once have tried lecturing a smoker or tried to make out I’m a now a better person than you. Eat no meat, pray to god, prefer blokes to woman if your a man but do it quietly please.

Soldato
Lol, what? It’s absolutely fact. Meat eaters kill sentient, clever, intelligent, caring animals when they don’t need to. I’m one of them. But, don’t pretend that it’s morally ok to kill in the way we do for food production. It’s not. How can it be?

I’ve not advocated for banning meat or animal products, but I think it’s the way the country is going. What can those that rely on it do? Diversify. Retrain.

We feed the country by growing more, by using our fields more efficiently. There’ll be plenty of jobs in a veg farm.

And what of the vast swathes of land we currently use that cannot be used for veg/arable farms particularly in Wales and Scotland?

We cannot simply transform every animal farm into arable or veg, this land in question is not suitable for any other type of food production than sheep/beef. That's an awful lot of food production gone. Where will the replacement food come from? Imported?

Soldato
And what of the vast swathes of land we currently use that cannot be used for veg/arable farms particularly in Wales and Scotland?

We cannot simply transform every animal farm into arable or veg, this land in question is not suitable for any other type of food production than sheep/beef. That's an awful lot of food production gone. Where will the replacement food come from? Imported?
Insects seem the way to go for our animal protein tbh

Soldato
I’ve seen the documentary Food inc, it’s absolutely disgusting but regardless I love to eat meat.

And that film is about American meat production so is irrelevant to the UK animal standards.

The OP used the RSPCA link earlier to try and push welfare issues but failed to state it was the RSPCA Australia site.

Other countries have crap animal welfare standards, we know this and we can do nothing more than ensure we don't buy imported meat from those countries. It's disingenuous to use foreign practices to further your point.

Posters should be genuine and use examples of sanctioned UK practices.

Permabanned
Yeah but not all meat consumed in the UK will be produced in the UK.

Never the less I’m an animal lover I couldn’t think why I’d ever want to see an animal hurt or treated badly, I certainly would never do it. But I love me a big fat juicy burger.

Caporegime
If we stop eating meat, imagine all those animals which will now not exist and have no chance of life at all. Is that even more cruel, at least the current way they have some life. Who are we to judge if the life is worthy?

I'd ask yourself..

Would I want that life or not? If you wouldn't. There's your answer.

I certainly wouldn't want the life of a broiler bird. I'd absolutely rather never exist.

Caporegime
Yeah but not all meat consumed in the UK will be produced in the UK.

Never the less I’m an animal lover I couldn’t think why I’d ever want to see an animal hurt or treated badly, I certainly would never do it. But I love me a big fat juicy burger.

Not a dig. As I'm kind of same But more With dairy than meat. How Do you reconcile in your mind the "I love animals but I also eat meat"?

Mines a bit of a cop out in that I've reduced to about 95 percent less. And I just turn a blind eye to the rest if I'm honest.

Same with flying.
I'm Still going on long haul flights. I know it damages the environment. But I kind of 'ignore' it. On plus side I'm not having kids hopefully balance is restored!

Soldato
So anyone who says that all meat eaters are automatically in the wrong, isn't starting out on a good footing.

it isn't, which is why

The response of 'because I like meat hurr durr' is a bit pointless

is the reply because when the argument starts with "you are a bad person for doing something the overwhelming majority of your species has done for literally the entirety of history" it's obvious you're about to start playing chess with pidgeons.

You can certainly form a good argument from an environmental perspective, and it's very hard to argue that a reduction in meat consumption isn't in the best interest of humans, and the rest of the earth and its inhabitants.

you can make the same statement about population moderation, but the moment you even whisper it you get drowned out by myriad screams of "so you want genocide eh? you first".

Soldato
Personally, I’ve tried to cut my meat consumption down in the past.

Failed for a number of reasons:

My cooking skills are based around a meat, and I just don’t have to time to learn and try new recipes and experiment with meat-free protein sources at this point in my life.

For me to eat the way I want to stay the shape/look I want, I require a large amount of protein, usually pushing 250g a day. Due to the first point I’d struggle to get this from meat-free alternatives in similar calories.

Bring on lab grown meat with the same texture and flavour as real meat I say!

Permabanned
Not a dig. As I'm kind of same But more With dairy than meat. How Do you reconcile in your mind the "I love animals but I also eat meat"?

Mines a bit of a cop out in that I've reduced to about 95 percent less. And I just turn a blind eye to the rest if I'm honest.

Same with flying.
I'm Still going on long haul flights. I know it damages the environment. But I kind of 'ignore' it. On plus side I'm not having kids hopefully balance is restored!
I don’t really feel I need too. I like meat specifically beef so I eat it. If I see a Cow a don’t start hacking it up so I can have a nice juicy steak, I’d pet it if it came close I’d tell someone off if they kicked it for example, but that doesn’t and won’t stop me from chucking a couple of burgers on the barbie over the weekend.

Caporegime
I don’t really feel I need too. I like meat specifically beef so I eat it. If I see a Cow a don’t start hacking it up so I can have a nice juicy steak, I’d pet it if it came close I’d tell someone off if they kicked it for example, but that doesn’t and won’t stop me from chucking a couple of burgers on the barbie over the weekend.

Interesting. I feel guilty every time I have cheese. Not guilty enough. But the guilt is definitely there.

With my pet hens I absolutely cannot eat chicken full stop. No ifs or buts on that one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom