Why are you not vegan....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
None of them can prove why the Japanese who are meat eaters have the worlds longest life expectancy.

And it is remarkable when you go there, honestly there was so much meat I actually found myself wanting a bowl of salad. Everything is either Yakitori (grilled meat on sticks), Ramen (more meat and carbs), Tonkatsu (fried pork cutlet), Gyudon (beef rice bow), Sushi, Kushikatsu (fried stuff on a stick). There was the odd pickles in dishes but there I was missing the beans, the leafy lettuce. I recall one trip after 5 days my body wanted it so bad i went to a local supermarket just to see if i could find a salad and to get a vegetable smoothie.

I know as a tourist what you eat out is not necessarily the stuff they eat at home but from what i know and seen, my regular diet have more fruit and veg than they do.

Yet they have that statistic which cannot be disputed!
this reminds me of a friend who loved Indie music... he went to Ibiza and had to listen to some Metallica on his discman in the hotel to try cancel out the constant pounding drum/bass/techno

sorry if that seems irrelevant but I can see a connection :o

Soldato
OP
Selective fact-ing.
Western, heavily processed diets featuring heavily processed meats increase your risk of cancer - the studies always pitch this up against, and I quote your link, whole food plant based diets with limited potatoes rice etc.

So it isn't a meat diet Vs a vegan diet, it's a processed food diet Vs a whole food diet.
People giving up meat to just switch to fake-meat vegan products from the supermarket are doing absolutely zero to benefit their health as they are still just consuming heavily processed foods which carry exactly the alsame health risks - a fake sausage roll is just as unhealthy as a pork sausage roll.

So your links just prove that people should eat less processed food, not that they should give up meat entirely.

What you've done is misspelled "meat" when what you actually meant to tell people to give up is "cake".

Well yea most people wont want live on beyond burgers just like you wouldnt want to live on beef burgers or steak.

When you read that back, do you see how much of a smug **** you come across as? It's easier to say I hope we all get bowel cancer. Who cares. ?

I mean this discussion must be fun for you being in a minority, you must thrive on conflict, enjoy arguing to even bother. Yy6ou certainly are not like this in reality I get that, venting/preahing here gives you a buzz. People take stuff online to a much Futher degree.
Whatever it is I hope most just appreciate it as a big wind up. It has madee laugh so it is good.

Btw Increased chance of cancer isn't really some kind of scare either unless you are a hypochondriac. Literally everything these days is carcinogenic isn't it?

I dunno? Keep up the good fight!
As long as new contenders keep coming in we can keep repeating the same things ad infinitum. Like me...

Yea I get it may have come across badly, it was just meant as a dark joke, my mum died of cancer so obviously wouldn't wish it on anyone.

What the reactions have shown me is really how conditioned we are when it comes to certain animals, society says "love these animals, treat them well", "but don't worry about those, theyre just food" we're also very disconnected from the processes and conditions these animals live in.

How are getting on converting all the those subscribers of faith?

Not great, theres billions of em.

I've been thinking about this for a while now. Don't eat much meat anyway (maybe 2 or 3 times a week so it wouldn't be a huge change but I do enjoy eggs so not sure veganism would work.

My main reason is probably treatment of livestock etc rather than health reasons, plus perhaps moving to 'living with' rather than 'eating' other living things.

Sounds like you could easily go vegetarian, theres a good youtuber/activist called "earthling ed" he does some good debates with people.

Even watching this video is now incredibly cruel to me where as years ago i may have shrugged, cows are very maternal animals....

I guess a meat eating animal lover is an oxymoron of sorts ,I love my dog and cat but pigs and cows can be stunned ,killed and sliced up for my tea

Maybe you should question why it is you think that way, cognitive dissonance I think.

Soldato
Well yea most people wont want live on beyond burgers just like you wouldnt want to live on beef burgers or steak.

Yea I get it may have come across badly, it was just meant as a dark joke, my mum died of cancer so obviously wouldn't wish it on anyone.

What the reactions have shown me is really how conditioned we are when it comes to certain animals, society says "love these animals, treat them well", "but don't worry about those, theyre just food" we're also very disconnected from the processes and conditions these animals live in.

Not great, theres billions of em.

Sounds like you could easily go vegetarian, theres a good youtuber/activist called "earthling ed" he does some good debates with people.

Even watching this video is now incredibly cruel to me where as years ago i may have shrugged, cows are very maternal animals....

Maybe you should question why it is you think that way, cognitive dissonance I think.
Vegan attacking a vegan ,now I am confused , :p
My comment is obviously a nod to the hypocrisy of meat eaters

Last edited:
Soldato
We have reduced meat intake but our weekly food includes meat but the majority is vegetables.
Dairy reduced to a restricted level.

In the end you will bot have enough arable farming to support the worlds population with just veggies to get protein.

Associate
I need a B12 injection every three months and i have a balanced diet. Bit of a broad statement that tbh.
Yes so do I, due to a auto-immune problem, which is probably exactly what you have.

Stop trying to conflate a medical issue with claims of a "balanced diet" So no, it was not a bit of a broad statement at all It's factual.

You are the one attempting to blur the lines between fact and lies by claiming your "balanced diet" isn't good enough, when in reality you have an auto-immune issue preventing the creation of the enzyme needed to process B12. - In other words, you are being fundamentally dishonest.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's a nonsense reply, you're the one claiming a meat based diet causes cancer, it doesn't, a processed food based diet causes cancer increases the risk of cancer. People eating processed food switching to veganism aren't suddenly going to go from eating lots of processed food to just eating whole foods, in fact anyone with a diet that puts them at risk of cancer can reduce that risk by cutting out processed food, the "veganism is healthy" claim is nonsense.

If I go on the supermarket website and go to the "vegan food" section, it's is ALL highly processed "meat alternative" stuff that's no better, or in most cases more loaded with salt and sugar than the meat equivalent. And when you are trying to encourage meat eaters to go vegan, that's exactly what they'll do.

I actually hadn't realised this, so thank you, because I can now stop buying processed food and go back to buying real meat knowing it will be healthier.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes Its just as easy to eat baldly when you first start a vegan regime (just to clear up some fellow forum members confusion i am vegan) and i do tend to stick a goodfellows meatless vegan pizza in the oven when i cba to cook ,but learning more recipes all the time ,Sainsbury's do tins of banana blossom so going to give fake fish a try ,guessing seaweed may be involved.

https://sarahsvegankitchen.com/recipes/banana-blossom-fish/

edit /genuinely confused how i was mistook for team meat ,given the content of my posts :p

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Vegan attacking a vegan ,now I am confused , :p
My comment is obviously a nod to the hypocrisy of meat eaters

lol soz, trying to reply to so many messages has fried my brain.

That's a nonsense reply, you're the one claiming a meat based diet causes cancer, it doesn't, a processed food based diet causes cancer increases the risk of cancer. People eating processed food switching to veganism aren't suddenly going to go from eating lots of processed food to just eating whole foods, in fact anyone with a diet that puts them at risk of cancer can reduce that risk by cutting out processed food, the "veganism is healthy" claim is nonsense.

If I go on the supermarket website and go to the "vegan food" section, it's is ALL highly processed "meat alternative" stuff that's no better, or in most cases more loaded with salt and sugar than the meat equivalent. And when you are trying to encourage meat eaters to go vegan, that's exactly what they'll do.

I actually hadn't realised this, so thank you, because I can now stop buying processed food and go back to buying real meat knowing it will be healthier.

I said the "carnivore diet" will increase your risk of cancer due to the amount of red and processed meats I assume would be a part of it (not to mention the lack of other vitamins etc), and that a plant based one is healthier.

But my claim is certainly not non sense, a plant based diet is generally healthier, backed up with evidence.

"veganism is healthy" - you can be an unhealthy vegan sure, I see what youre saying I guess.

Soldato

I said the "carnivore diet" will increase your risk of cancer due to the amount of red and processed meats I assume would be a part of it, and that a plant based one is healthier.

But my claim is certainly not non sense, a plant based diet is generally healthier, backed up with evidence.

"veganism is healthy" - you can be an unhealthy vegan sure, I see what youre saying I guess.

You can find studies out there which will show literally anything can give you cancer.

Soldato

I said the "carnivore diet" will increase your risk of cancer due to the amount of red and processed meats I assume would be a part of it (not to mention the lack of other vitamins etc), and that a plant based one is healthier.

Ha that's fine ,my brain is permanently fried tbh
I reckon a healthy vegan diet beats a healthy non vegan diet assuming all the omega oils are there and the b vits
Had a pub breakfast with family and friends in Kent yesterday,sure my hash browns ,beans tomatoes, mushroom,vegan sausage, beat the black pudding and bacon my nephew was eating

Permabanned
Perhaps a happy medium is those that want to eat meat have to go through an initiation ceremony and kill and butcher whatever species they are interested in devouring? Then they can see what it's all about and are not distancing themselves from reality at the freezer cabinet in Tesco with some washed and pre packed meat.

Soldato
I wonder whether it would convert any vegans if I could somehow produce a range of meat products sourced entirely from animals that I could certify were complete and utter douchebags that had getting slaughtered, butchered and eaten coming to them.

“This chicken? Yeah, dunno whether it’s free range, organic or whatever, but I can tell you with certainty that the chicken it came from, Nigel, was a complete and utter tit in his time…”

Soldato
Ha that's fine ,my brain is permanently fried tbh
I reckon a healthy vegan diet beats a healthy non vegan diet assuming all the omega oils are there and the b vits
Had a pub breakfast with family and friends in Kent yesterday,sure my hash browns ,beans tomatoes, mushroom,vegan sausage, beat the black pudding and bacon my nephew was eating
Alternatively I'd expect him to say his was better as the black pudding and bacon (along with sausages) are what make a full English :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom