Why are you not vegan....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Surely for a proven statistical health beneficial point of view, you look at the data where millions or hundreds of millions of people who live the longest, you follow their diet? Which is Japanese/Med who are not vegan.
Bhuddist monks say hi

Soldato
Bhuddist monks say hi

Buddhist monks are actually allowed to eat meat as long as it hasn't been killed specifically for them. If you are going to follow the diet from the article then you also have to give up alcohol, yeah, no thanks.
There has also been an increase in the availability of processed foods like McDonald's in Japan in the last 40 years, so again, no proof that eating meat shortens life span, only that eating processed foods can.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I would say that in probability a vegetarian diet is healthiest, a Mediterranean diet. Pasta and vegetables some cheese and eggs. Add small amounts of oily fish as well.

A vegan diet is much less healthy as it relies a lot on processed foods and lacks essential oils and vitamins. Taking supplements is NOT healthy.
Also a lot of soy based products which contain phytoestrogens that can negatively affect human hormone balance. That said you'd have to eat soy regularly for this to manifest itself.

Man of Honour
And how do most people in this country prepare pasta? Do they buy fresh veg/tomatoes and make everything from scratch, or do they buy a packet of pasta and a pot of ready made sauce (also processed food)?

You only have to walk in to any supermarket and see the 1 aisle of fresh food vs. the 10+ aisles of packet/frozen food to realise that the vast majority of people are not going to get any health benefit from giving up meat.
That's because a lot people are lazy in this country when it comes to cooking. Making stuff from scratch doesn't take a huge amount of time (sauces etc.). Admittedly making pasta from scratch can be.

If you go to the continent or spend any time.in the Med most shops have fresh food daily. Also people don't mass buy food. You buy for 2-3 days max at a time. The Brits don't have that habit unfortunately.

Soldato
My Nan lived to her mid 90’s, she wasn’t vegan. She ate meat.

Essentially the largest data set shows that eating meat doesn’t reduce your life expectancy, or kill you sooner.
My Granmother died in her late 60s, she wasnt a vegan. She ate meat. She died from stomach cancer.
Wow, you soy boys really are offensive, obtuse and deluded. If veganism is so healthy, why do your lot on a long enough time line always end up looking like you're dying without huge amounts of supplementation? Let's not forget Heroine and cigarettes are technically vegan. Now, let's talk about those supplements. Do you even realise what a lot of those ingredients actually are?
Have you not thought that those people either werent doing the diet properly or had mental and/or eating disorders? You need to reread your posts they have been some of the most offensive and unintelligent rambling so far and there is a big list. If it was just veganism that did that to them how do you explain the many many people living okay while being vegan? How do you explain the meat eaters that also have eating disorders?
You forgot the bit where the drug-abusing alcoholic tries to lecture us
Have you read a lot of the replies of the 'meat' eaters. That is some truly ranting nonsense from the usual suspects. Highfive.

Most of the posts from meat eaters sound like they are drunk posting.

Soldato
What I have noticed is if we get soya milk at work it lasts ages ,oat milk goes in a few hours,makes such a good coffee and no slaughtering of offspring needed
The trick I have have found, in tea at least, is to use a fraction of what you'd normally use. The tea will be darker but the taste will be OK.

Man of Honour
What I have noticed is if we get soya milk at work it lasts ages ,oat milk goes in a few hours,makes such a good coffee and no slaughtering of offspring needed

I made the painful journey of giving up dairy but I'm definitely healthier for it (blood and gut flora tests confirm - I'm a fitness fanatic so do regular blood tests and studied a lot about nutrition) and oat milk is amazing, soya is not. I miss cheese a lot. And I do still have fresh butter from the local farm from time to to time, and whilst I don't go out of my way to tell people I avoid dairy I make choices at restaurants based on my dietary needs.

I.e. I won't tell friends or family not to cook with butter or cheese, but avoid it if I can.

Last edited:
Caporegime
If there was something with a similar taste to milk for tea and cereal I would possibly use it. Soy milk and other alternatives I have tried just plain suck so far.
Oat milk is pretty good tbh I'll drink it like a normal glass of milk. Pretty good texture and consistency.

I had pea protein milk, mmmm that was different.

I won't buy it unless it's on offer though.

Soldato
I made the painful journey of giving up dairy but I'm definitely healthier for it (blood and gut flora tests confirm - I'm a fitness fanatic so do regular blood tests and studied a lot about nutrition) and oat milk is amazing, soya is not. I miss cheese a lot. And I do still have fresh butter from the local farm from time to to time, and whilst I don't go out of my way to tell people I avoid dairy I make choices at restaurants based on my dietary needs.

I.e. I won't tell friends or family not to cook with butter or cheese, but avoid it if I can.
Exactly what I did a number of years ago, and found the health benefits to not be life changing, but were definitely there so never went back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom