Why are you not vegan....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
OP
Just to be clear - this wasn't a single mods decision but it went to a discussion within the team first.

Your OP and title were inflammatory, designed purely to provoke a reaction rather than debate. That's not an SC worthy thread and thus moved to GD.

The farm I buy my pork from neither docks tails or chips / files teeth. They allow their pigs 100% access to the outside to graze naturally. I researched where I buy my meat from and although it costs more, the flavour is much better and I truly believe the farmers when they say the welfare is better.

Ok. Are facts inflammatory?

That's something I guess.... but they still end up being gassed where they thrash about while suffocating. Maybe the pigs you buy just get the old stun and throat cut.

Soldato
I am vegan as personally I can't justify something having to die to go on my plate ,i did become a bit preachy on here but realise some people will do as their parents did and don't really have it in them to question that. Some do though

The meat and dairy farmers who are going vegan
I read that when it came out, thought it was quite interesting, although I'm not sure how much of their change was ethical or commercially driven.
I still eat meat, but very little, and am slowly moving towards meat free. It's a personal choice though and I hope to never become preachy or attack people, because that is counter productive IMO.

Pet Northerner
Don
Ok. Are facts inflammatory?

That's something I guess.... but they still end up being gassed where they thrash about while suffocating. Maybe the pigs you buy just get the old stun and throat cut.

Facts are not, but how you word them (and also a lot of the responses to meat eaters) are.

You've made assumptions (wrongly) that all the people who buy / eat meat have done zero research into the food that they eat. You've also wrongly assumed people have no moral stance on the matter, even though meat is one of the most nutrient dense food that you can buy and in tough times there are no easy choices for some.

You'll continue to double down on your holier-than-though standpoint which is not debate , nor discussion as you will refuse to see any other point of view.

Therefore, not an SC worthy thread.

Soldato
OP
And if your diet includes avocados, chocolate, coffee, anything containing palm oil - you are just as bad if not worse

I try hard not to consume palm oil. I occasionally eat dark chocolate. (Tonys brand) and guacamole. Veganism is about excluding the harm to animals as far as possible, not about completely eliminating harm to the environment.

I wouldn't expect some eskimos living in the middle of nowhere to go vegan for example.

Caporegime
I try hard not to consume palm oil. I occasionally eat dark chocolate. (Tonys brand) and guacamole. Veganism is about excluding the harm to animals as far as possible, not about completely eliminating harm to the environment.

I wouldn't expect some eskimos living in the middle of nowhere to go vegan for example.

Someone somewhere is having a go at your morals for harming the environment. You are just cherry-picking the difference between animal and environment. It's not like animals can survive without their environment, is it?

"If you eat chocolate and palm oil you are destroying the planet".

Facts right?

Soldato
But if you give up meat, aren't you still effectively killing animals by not allowing them to be born on the first place to be used for meat/dairy?

Also why don't vegans like milk?

As someone who grew up working on a dairy farm it works like this. Cows are either impregnated by a bull but we used to do it artificially. They then get pregnant and have the calf, the calf is then removed from the mother and placed in a pen where if it is a female it will grow to be a dairy cow or if its male it will be neutered and be a beef bullock. The cow is milked 2-3 times a day for the next 10 months or so and then given drugs to dry up its milk production and prepare it to ovulate again. When it does it is then impregnated and the cycle begins again.

I love milk, I get through around 3lts a day and would find it very hard to give up. I tried vegan ice cream once and it was one of the worst things I've ever tasted

Soldato
Worst thing about a lot of vegans is that they're plant-based rather than true vegans; doesn't stop them preaching they're holier than thou though :rolleyes:

Milk is so easy to replace, theres an abundance of plant milks now.

You can replace milk in a lot of instances (i tend to use soya/oat for coffees and cerals etc) but there's still a few, like tea, where milk-alternatives don't work due to lack of fat-content. I only know this as i've been through a lot of alternatives, including hemp which is foul, due to being lactose intolerant.

Soldato
OP
Someone somewhere is having a go at your morals for harming the environment. You are just cherry-picking the difference between animal and environment. It's not like animals can survive without their environment, is it?

"If you eat chocolate and palm oil you are destroying the planet".

Facts right?

Palm oil is indeed devastating to the enviroment and animals, like I said, I probably havent eaten palm oil this week or even month, because most of the time its in with animal products.

Soldato
....I probably havent eaten palm oil this week or even month, because most of the time its in with animal products.

Palm oil is used in a lot, lot more products than just "animal products" and you've probably been in contact and/or eaten it recently; worth reading up on its uses rather than simply regurgitating nonsense.

Edit - Worth adding, i believe majority of palm oil used in the UK is from sustainable sources but still.....

Soldato
Hey guys, (now ive got you with that title) so I went vegetarian about 9 months ago after struggling with the idea of eating meat for quite a while and have recently gone vegan after seeing footage of a cow get bolt gunned in the head.

I think the main problems are ignorance and cultural conditioning, I recently found that baby male chicks are either ground up alive or gassed at 1 day old because they're useless in the egg industry. And piglets have their teeth "trimmed" and tails "docked" to reduce tail biting amongst other pigs which is a symptom of mental stress, gee I wonder why they might be stressed....

So, lets have at it, why do you still pay for animal abuse?

One word destroys your entire viewpoint

Bacon.

Caporegime
SevereDarlingCatfish-max-1mb.gif

Soldato
But it is ok to kill seafood?
Why would it not be ok ? We're all animals, animals eat meat, it is what it is, I only eat what I'm comfortable killing, just like all the other animals, the issue is farming meat on an industrial is simply isn't sustainable
Indeed, and ironically 75-85% of soy globally is used for what..... animal feed.
All that extra land used to grow food to feed animals on more used land, just for us to consume

The simple reality a lot will have to face up to is industrial farming whether it's plant based OR animal based, is simply not sustainable for the current population of the planet, because we'll reach a point that we won't be able to grow anything at all thanks to climate change whether through extreme heat or cold & droughts or floods

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom