Why are you not vegan....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
OP
I have a feeling this thread hasn’t quite gone the way Johno was hoping it would

Its surpassed my expectations tbh who wants to live in an echo chamber anyway? id use twitter if I wanted that, I don't ever remember getting this upset when I saw posts from vegans on social media when I ate meat :D

If meat was bannned tomorrow, do you have visions of all the millions and millions of animals just spending the rest of their lives grazing happily in a field?

That would be nice wouldn't it, the world isn't nice though.

I envisage animals being looked after in sanctuaries as we swap over to maybe lab grown meats but I dunno, I just do what I can personally.

Caporegime
Its surpassed my expectations tbh who wants to live in an echo chamber anyway? id use twitter if I wanted that, I don't ever remember getting this upset when I saw posts from vegans on social media when I ate meat :D

That would be nice wouldn't it, the world isn't nice though.

I envisage animals being looked after in sanctuaries as we swap over to maybe lab grown meats but I dunno, I just do what I can personally.
Sanctuaries lol. Absolutely no chance, there’s not enough sanctuaries in the universe.

The abattoirs would be working constantly for months killing them all.

Soldato
OP
Palm oil is used in a lot, lot more products than just "animal products" and you've probably been in contact and/or eaten it recently; worth reading up on its uses rather than simply regurgitating nonsense.

Edit - Worth adding, i believe majority of palm oil used in the UK is from sustainable sources but still.....

It is yea but mainly its breads/biscuits/margarine etc but I honestly don't think i've consumed it in ages.

But I'll reiterate, Veganism is about as far as is possible to exclude all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose.

Caporegime
You've made assumptions (wrongly) that all the people who buy / eat meat have done zero research into the food that they eat.

That's the funny part, which seems to be a bit of projection on the OPs part, I'm kinda amused by it - how does someone see say some chickens or a field of cows and not realise until well into adulthood why there are very few males ones! :D

Soldato
The argument of only eating what you would be comfortable killing is quite a valid one. I suspect there would be a fair few more vegetarians/vegans if people had to kill an animal.
I have no idea how anyone could ever stomach working in an abbatoir.

Caporegime
The argument of only eating what you would be comfortable killing is quite a valid one. I suspect there would be a fair few more vegetarians/vegans if people had to kill an animal.
I have no idea how anyone could ever stomach working in an abbatoir.
A lot of abbatoir workers start young as it is often a family business. They’re used to it from a young age and quickly become desensitised.

Caporegime
Veganism is about as far as is possible to exclude all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose.

Aspects of it seem pointless when it's just stopping the exploitation of for eggs laid by a rescue hen etc. sure the animals have technically been "exploited" but realistically there isn't really much of a cruelty argument if the hen was otherwise due to be killed because it's old/doesn't lay so frequently.

Likewise, not eating muscles, oysters, scallops etc. if you can eat plants or fungus then why not eat those too?

Soldato
A lot of abbatoir workers start young as it is often a family business. They’re used to it from a young age and quickly become desensitised.
I think they would have to. I couldn't ever imagine killing a lamb, a pig or a cow. And I doubt many here for all their bravado would find it pleasant either.

Soldato
OP are you one of those Insulate Britain nutters who alienates everyone and turns them off to their message because they just shout at people about how bad they are?

Certainly come across that way.

Soldato

Back in reality, you would end up with mass culling and various species becoming borderline extinct unfortunately.

It is yea but mainly its breads/biscuits/margarine etc but I honestly don't think i've consumed it in ages.

Palm oil is used in a metric **** ton of products and industries, certainly more than simple foods like "breads/biscuits/margarine etc"; think biodiesel, soaps and cosmetics - if you've used moisturiser, shampoo or washing liquid then there's a good chance that it will have a form of palm oil in it.
As said, you probably have consumed it, most likely without knowing unfortunately.

Soldato
I've frequently thought about it, but my desire to eat meat is greater than my desire to not eat it. I don't like industrial farming and really should think about where the food I eat is sourced. But I'd still eat meat.

Nearly bought black pudding today when I went to buy burgers for weekend BBQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom