• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Why GPU prices are NOT likely to drop significantly EVER!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
We all know nvidia made a huge mistake pricing the 3080 at £649, I doubt we’ll see that sort of competitiveness again.

Expect the **80 range to start higher when the 4000 series cards are released.

I don’t think they’ll go mad like they did with the 2080Ti pricing but you never know.

Prices are high because of the shortage. Not because GPU prices have gone up. When the shortage is over, £649 will be very realistic for an xx80 card and not a "mistake" at all.

(Feel free to quote this post in 3 years if I'm wrong)

Soldato
Prices are high because of the shortage. Not because GPU prices have gone up. When the shortage is over, £649 will be very realistic for an xx80 card and not a "mistake" at all.

GPU prices already went up. You just forgot about it. The 980 Ti, the flagship Maxwell gaming card, cost £549 in the UK at launch - and that was considered a disappointingly high price at the time. Merely six years ago. Now a Ti costs you well over a grand, and did so long before coronavirus or the current mining craze, since the 2080 Ti was priced the same way. Can't blame "shortages" for that one.

If nothing else, Nvidia (and of late AMD too) have done a great job brainwashing people into accepting the new normal.

Soldato

Prices have been high for years. The 2080Ti released for £999.

The 2080 and 2080S were £700.

It’s easy for people to blame COVID and shortages but we were getting ripped off long before that.

Soldato

It’s easy for people to blame COVID and shortages but we were getting ripped off long before that.
Yes and they weren't happy with the sales of the 20xx while having virtually no competition. The 3080 came at that price because Nvidia knew that they would get wrecked by the new consoles with anything higher priced.
Then mining happened... Free gpu for anyone that can get one. Plus shortages even for consoles.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats

Agree as we mentioned few posts up. The 2080Ti from memory sat around the £1200 and we were 'discussing' it on these forums with a few heated moments! Sadly as it was then, and is now, people are happy to buy them for that price - and covid or shortages were absent from the market, how quick people forget pricing..

Soldato
Then mining happened... Free gpu for anyone that can get one. Plus shortages even for consoles.

GPU mining has been around since at least 2013. It has only been norm'ied or absorbed by the masses over time to make it a thing. The 2080Ti was released just before the previous bull run in 2018, all stock was far easier to obtain in all the generational releases from what I remember compared to 2020 which was the only time you could blame mining. You may have had scalpers for years but they have definitely cemented their presence this gen. So prepare for more of it.

Soldato
GPU mining has been around since at least 2013. It has only been norm'ied or absorbed by the masses over time to make it a thing. The 2080Ti was released just before the previous bull run in 2018, all stock was far easier to obtain in all the generational releases from what I remember compared to 2020 which was the only time you could blame mining. You may have had scalpers for years but they have definitely cemented their presence this gen. So prepare for more of it.

This. Anything that is new, limited edition, special in some way will get scalped now. Years ago i wanted to get a Foo Fighters Vinyl Medium Rare. Despite it being a record store day deal my dad walked into a record shop days later and got one for RRP. Roll around to now and i tried to get their latest Dee Gee's vinyl. I was unable to go to a record store as my son was ill but i saw that they'd release what they had left in the evening. I sat there on a couple of sites and one had 6000+ people viewing it as i looked so i binned it off and found a couple of smaller ones. Needless to say i was frozen out of one site but got through the payment on another only to get an order cancellation a few minutes later. :( So i decided to look on Ebay and there were already about 100 on there all for ridiculous prices. :( :( So in the end i decided i'd just stream it as i refuse to fuel the FOMO fire.

In these days of botting groups, scripts, software etc its just going to get worse and worse until people stop fuelling it. Scalpers are annoying but i don't blame them for wanting to make some easy money. Especially when people are so ready to give it to them...

Soldato
Agree @KiNgPiN83 I think it has been around subtly all the time but now the modern era has enabled armies of them to get in on the act. I mentioned it before on another thread but my nephews mother shared recently that he buys all sorts of clothing especially trainers - deliveries all the time - where he sells limited edition stuff on making a secondary type of income. I wasn't shocked but realised if this is what young twenty somethings are flat out doing (as they have time to burn, no kids/hobbies yet) then no wonder the prices creep up for most items out there.

V F

V F

Soldato
Agree @KiNgPiN83 I think it has been around subtly all the time but now the modern era has enabled armies of them to get in on the act. I mentioned it before on another thread but my nephews mother shared recently that he buys all sorts of clothing especially trainers - deliveries all the time - where he sells limited edition stuff on making a secondary type of income. I wasn't shocked but realised if this is what young twenty somethings are flat out doing (as they have time to burn, no kids/hobbies yet) then no wonder the prices creep up for most items out there.

Who would have thought scalpers became a profession. When one time that was the black market.

Soldato
I couldn't care less how expensive the enthusiast/insane/rich cards get. As long as the cards for ordinary/sensible people come back down.

I want to see good 1080p cards for £170 again.
Good 1440p cards for £250.

Maybe another 18 month wait.

Associate
OP
We all know nvidia made a huge mistake pricing the 3080 at £649, I doubt we’ll see that sort of competitiveness again.

Expect the **80 range to start higher when the 4000 series cards are released.

I don’t think they’ll go mad like they did with the 2080Ti pricing but you never know.

Maybe Nvidia priced it just about right at £649 and it was just unlucky for AMD/NVIDIA that the next commodities upcycle started at around the same time about a year ago.

Associate
OP
I couldn't care less how expensive the enthusiast/insane/rich cards get. As long as the cards for ordinary/sensible people come back down.

Not likely to ever happen, the lower 1080p and 1440p cards still use a fair amount of raw materials at todays prices.
After 18 months we'll still be inside this commodities shortage upcycle, there are 7.9 Billion people out there remember.

Associate
OP
4070 I recon will be £500 at most

We're dealing with a raw material/cheap oil/commodity shortage here, more like £800+ for a AIB 4070

You really didn't put much effort into this did you? The cheapest in stock 6900XT is £1199.99 at the suppliers I am watching. OCUK recently wiped 16% off the price of one model overnight - see the post here https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/35106038, referring to historical prices for that model.

Yes but what's your average for 6900xt across the board, should be about £1500 or so same as mine.

Associate

If your lucky you might get a reasonable 1650 super alternative from Intel next year that can play old games and esport titles at 1080p. Doubt we will get a good 1440p card in new titles for £250 again. After all AMD class the 6600xt as a 1080p card at £330 or so. (Although obviously it can play many older and esport games at 1440p)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
We're dealing with a raw material/cheap oil/commodity shortage here, more like £800+ for a AIB 4070
I am not talking about AIB. I am talking MSRP. I am talking about FE. I don’t pay more than FE prices.

Competition matters at the end of the day. My guess in dollars is $499-$549 for it.

Associate

GPU mining has been around since at least 2013. I thought it came about in 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom