Windows 10

My Windows 10 activated fine using the KMS method.

It's only a test though on my spare SSD, still going to wait till the end of the month to activate with my retail 8.1 pro key.

I do like 10 more though, seems a more refined 8.1.

Start10 works great too in getting my start menu how I want.

You won't be able to activate a clean 10 install using an 8.1 key.

I've noticed that Gigabyte have updated some of my mobo drivers for Win 10.

Maybe silly question, but would you do the update from Win 7 first, then install these drivers, or install the drivers first under Win7 (if it lets you) then do the upgrade to 10?

My Windows 10 activated fine using the KMS method.

It's only a test though on my spare SSD, still going to wait till the end of the month to activate with my retail 8.1 pro key.

I do like 10 more though, seems a more refined 8.1.

Start10 works great too in getting my start menu how I want.

I think the KMS activation will need to re-activate after 180 days from what I have read unless MS pulls this method after launch.

I just tried a full clean install and skipping the key entry's and logging in with my MS account but it fails to activate this way for me.

I'm now back on 8.1 and will await the actual upgrade now...

I think the KMS activation will need to re-activate after 180 days from what I have read unless MS pulls this method after launch.

I just tried a full clean install and skipping the key entry's and logging in with my MS account but it fails to activate this way for me.

I'm now back on 8.1 and will await the actual upgrade now...

Once you have done the Win10 update at the end of the month and turned your Win 8.1 key to Win10 in the process, if you remove the KMS method on your present Win10 install you should be able to just enter your key then. Job done.

I might actually put Win10 on my main drive now and use it as normal as it's all working great for me (been using it all day no problem). And put a bare Win 8.1 install on my spare SSD (that I'm using for Win10 at the moment). Then I can activate my my key at the end of the month by doing the update.

Just gives me a head start with Win10 on a fresh install.

Last edited:
I'm going to stick with 8.1 for now I was just reading something that mentions pre-loading starting next week so don't really want to miss if true as I imagine on the 29th there will be server meltdown for downloads.....

Did the fix to get the icon on my task bar and I've registered for my upgrade.

How can I get the ISO version of windows 10 this way for a clean install on my desktop ?

Thanks Ben

Once you have done the Win10 update at the end of the month and turned your Win 8.1 key to Win10 in the process, if you remove the KMS method on your present Win10 install you should be able to just enter your key then. Job done.

I might actually put Win10 on my main drive now and use it as normal as it's all working great for me (been using it all day no problem). And put a bare Win 8.1 install on my spare SSD (that I'm using for Win10 at the moment). Then I can activate my my key at the end of the month by doing the update.

Just gives me a head start with Win10 on a fresh install.

Funnily enough I have been using windows 10 as a daily driver since build 10162, it has been a great experience so far - there have been minor glitches and things, but you expect that on a developing os.

Mark

Just upgraded to Windows 10 from the IOS Skeeter provided.

a quick question, how do I get that window shown if my copy is RTM or not?

There are no watermarks, and my windows 10 pro states 'activated'. :)

im guessing the insiders will test the updates first before rolling them out to the public.

I suppose so, still when I have my system running stable and how I want it I don't want Microsoft force feeding me updates I might not need or want which could potentially break things that were previously running fine.

Having tried again the latest release of Windows 10 I just cannot get used to it, it looks horrible and just doesn't feel right. For me Windows 7 was perfect, Windows 8 terrible, Windows 8.1 was a lot more better, Windows 10 just terrible.

The only thing that interests me with Windows 10 is DirectX 12, but I doubt that will be of any use for a few more years to come so I am going to skip Windows 10. It looks like it was designed by a group of teenagers or something, it's completely anti productive in terms of useability. I always envisioned a Windows 9 that looked more like Windows 7 but with greater performance etc.

I tried Windows 10 earlier on, and was not impressed.

But now, I really like this new build. Really nice and fluid!

Same. I'd installed it out of curiosity a month or so ago, on a decade old rig usually running Linux (for speed). It's an ancient Athlon x2 and struggles a bit under Win7/8.1 but I was curious how they'd "fixed" 10 regards the UI experience. The first few builds were bloaty and laggy, but this latest (RTM?) build is like butter. Everything loads smoothly and quickly, even on this old creaking thing, and it's actually quite nice to use. I think I'll keep it. :o

If you're going to 'skip windows 10' what are you going to use when windows 7 stops being supported or just wont run anything as its too slow and not secure enough!!!

Because Microsoft have said 'Windows 10 is the last windows!' So what are you skipping it too???

Yep I know that. :)

Just asking, how do I find out if mine is at 'RTM' status or not?

Build 10240 = RTM.

...I don't want Microsoft force feeding me updates I might not need or want...

I'm pretty sure you do 'need' the security patches Microsoft will be releasing...

The pushback on the automatic updates is coming from people making a massive thing out of nothing. Do they think Microsoft will willingly push out updates that brake every install over night?

Do all these people have Android 1.5, iOS 1, and only ever play launch titles on their consoles as they refuse to take any updates? Actually they are probably PC gamers... playing using the drivers that came on a CD with their graphics card only, on Windows 7 RTM (non of that new fangled SP1 rubbish), using only ever the base release of any game.

Progress is bad, mmkay. Microsoft are going to brake over half the worlds computers without testing anything, mmkay.

:rolleyes:

Auto updates are a brilliant idea, because it means the 99% of all users out there who dont know what Windows Update is and haven't ever installed a patch will be have much safer machines.

Last edited:
If you're going to 'skip windows 10' what are you going to use when windows 7 stops being supported or just wont run anything as its too slow and not secure enough!!!

Because Microsoft have said 'Windows 10 is the last windows!' So what are you skipping it too???

Also what are you going to do next year when new games are dx12?

Back
Top Bottom