Windows 10

How did my in place upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 activate then? :confused:

Magic :).

Microsoft have disabled allowing new machines into the Insider Program for the moment by removing the ISOs and the Windows Update enabler patch, and disabling activation of any of the Insider Preview keys they have distributed.

You appear to have gotten around it by emulating doing a Windows Update upgrade to 10 Preview using the ISO, and presumably activating using your Windows 8.1 license rather than one of the Preview keys.

Ah, well I used the ISO which you provided my friend. :)

Basically I did an in place upgrade while keeping nothing, went thorough the set up to be sure everything was okay. I then forced it into OOBE mode (Out of the box experience) to re-direct the Users folder. Rebooted, wet thorough the set up again, and not seen any problems thus far with activation.

I was signed up to the insider previously, and my upgrade was reserved pretty much when the reservations started. Hmmm very confused right now.

So far the only issues I've come across on windows 10
- Skype exe gets error on shutdown, once closed it shutdowns fine.
- dying light completely freezes after 10 minutes, requires PC reboot.

I have been completely out of the loop. An icon appeared asking if I would like to upgrade 8.1 to 10, a while back. So come July 29th, I simply download through Microsoft?

I have been completely out of the loop. An icon appeared asking if I would like to upgrade 8.1 to 10, a while back. So come July 29th, I simply download through Microsoft?

Yep. It will be delivered through Windows Update. It might take a few days after the 29th for it to pop up, as Microsoft will be staggering the release to avoid DDoSing themselves :p.

Current issue I have noted is with the Logitech F710 gamepad, which returns a Code 28 error when the system is booted and trying to update the drivers doesn't fix this. When the USB receiver is removed and reinserted, the problem is fixed and the drivers install correctly, until it's rinse and repeat the next time the system is booted.

Yep. It will be delivered through Windows Update. It might take a few days after the 29th for it to pop up, as Microsoft will be staggering the release to avoid DDoSing themselves :p.

It has been mentioned on a few forums that it will start pre-loading possibly next week ? An MS employee said "Everyone should have the files in place before the 29th"

Hopefully this is true as it will make things a lot easier server load wise on the 29th onwards...

It has been mentioned on a few forums that it will start pre-loading possibly next week ? An MS employee said "Everyone should have the files in place before the 29th"

Hopefully this is true as it will make things a lot easier server load wise on the 29th onwards...

Yep. Thats why the have signed off RTM a few weeks ahead of release, and will be patching that build up to the 29th.

People who have reserved Windows 10 will have build 10240 being pre loaded onto their machines between now and the 29th. However the decrypting of these files and the actual prompt to update may be staggered over a few days. They don't really want a billion PCs trying to hit the Activation servers at the same time :p.

so if I download 10240 ISO, run this over my windows 7 retail install to upgrade to W10 will it be activated by using my windows 7 key rather than the blocked keys for the iso? I'm not on the insider program and don't have a Hotmail account

From build 10130 onwards you HAVE to sign into an Insider Preview build using a Microsoft Account registered as part of the Insider Program. So if your not in the Program I'm pretty sure you won't get it to activate at all.

Skeeter, how do I see my build number out of Curiosity?

Er... I'm sure theres a command somewhere you can run to find it. But if your running an Insider Preview of 10 and you don't have the watermark on the desktop, then its build 10240.

From build 10130 onwards you HAVE to sign into an Insider Preview build using a Microsoft Account registered as part of the Insider Program. So if your not in the Program I'm pretty sure you won't get it to activate at all.

cheers skeeter, ill wait till after the 29th then and install the final ISO\download it from windows update

edit.....or I could just run it un activated and then activate it on the 29th when it opens up again?

Last edited:
cheers skeeter, ill wait till after the 29th then and install the final ISO\download it from windows update

edit.....or I could just run it un activated and then activate it on the 29th when it opens up again?

I assume there is a 30 day window to do so, I guess maybe it is worth setting up a VM with Windows 10 to see if that would be the case?

Back
Top Bottom