Windows 10

I upgraded first and was activated.

I downloaded magical jelly bean, got my serial key.

Reinstalled clean and entered the key, and I'm activated.

Last edited:
I upgraded first and was activated.

I downloaded magical jelly bean, got my serial key.

Reinstalled clean and entered the key and I'm activated.

Someone mentioned earlier about the activation codes, or keys, being 'flagged' once Windows 10 had been installed, making them 'different' from the one obtained from a Windows 7 or 8 installation, and then used later to activate Windows 10

Surely, especially in the case of an EFI BIOS key the codes will be the same anyway, or does Microsoft have some sort of an enormous database, or something which tells them which version of Windows was installed when the key was checked, and 'flagging' the Win 10 ones... surely not?

Sorry that I haven't worded this very well, but I hope someone understands what I am getting at here!

Yes it was the same drive.

This might seem strange to you....

I had build 10240 activated over many previous preview builds. No problem.

I changed my SSD drive and found that a fresh install would not activate telling me that the key used was blocked from working. That was after running a product key finder and noting the 3V66T key that it was activated with. I had entered no key at the begining but just used my Live account.
Formatting that drive and installing Windows 8.1 and activated allowed me to upgrade 8.1 to 10 and it activated fine. Checking the key that it has used and it is the same 3V66T key but not be own 8.1 key. I was informed that I had a month to decide to keep W10 or downgrade back to 8.1.

I wonder if you're activated from a fresh install as it picked up your previously activated and qualifying OS first rather than needing the 3V66T from you...?

Last edited:
Just found this official statement from Microsoft on WinBeta:

"All pre-release product keys published earlier for builds of Windows 10 Insider Preview have been deactivated and will no longer activate any Preview builds, including Build 10240. This will not impact any devices that were activated in the past using those product keys.

We hope Insiders will continue to test Build 10240, which is only intended to be installed as an upgrade from a previously-activated version of Windows 10 Insider Preview – we do not support clean installs of Windows 10240. Windows 10 is intended to be installed on Genuine Windows devices, whether devices in the Windows Insider Program or those taking advantage of the free upgrade offer.

We’re getting really close to the launch of Windows 10, and we’re looking to receive that final bit of feedback before we roll out the finished product!"

Sorry if it has already been quoted!

Microsoft has clarified in the Answers Forum:

All pre-release product keys published earlier for builds of Windows 10 Insider Preview have been deactivated and will no longer activate any Preview builds, including Build 10240. This will not impact any devices that were activated in the past using those product keys. We hope Insiders will continue to test Build 10240, which is only intended to be installed as an upgrade from a previously-activated version of Windows 10 Insider Preview – we do not support clean installs of Windows 10240.

edit: too slow haha

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom