Windows 10

No, because the pin is tied to that PC only.

The PIN, like the Picture Passwords, are only stored on the device you set them up on.

Hackers cannot access your account remotely using a PIN or Picture Password, only people who physically sit in front of your PC could.

so how would the pin work when you have 3 pc's / laptops all using the same login?

it says Skype and other MS services will use the pin

Last edited:
i just had a thought, surely using a pin to log in instead of a password wouldn't it be easier for hackers to guess as it's just numbers?

The PIN has four digits, acceptable digits are 0-9, that's 10 choices per digit, 10x10x10x10 = 10,000 possible combinations.

A hacker would have to be sat at your machine to use the PIN to login.

If you're worried about somebody breaking into your house and running through 10,000 combinations then just use a regular password :P

Had windows 10 installed on my machine since early preview came out, and all of a sudden after updating to 10240 via update/recovery i now have "Activate Windows - Go to settings to activate windows" watermark over every window.

How can i remove this? I've been an insider for about 8 months ffs. :mad:

Had windows 10 installed on my machine since early preview came out, and all of a sudden after updating to 10240 via update/recovery i now have "Activate Windows - Go to settings to activate windows" watermark over every window.

How can i remove this? I've been an insider for about 8 months ffs. :mad:

Have you linked your account to the new system?

I assume that you have, in which case I do believe Microsoft have disabled new activations for now.

Have dropped back to Windows 7 for now. Data tracking is still present in latest build, supposedly being removed July 29th. Don't want to do banking etc on main PC until the data tracking thing is def gone.

Also cannot get 5.1 audio through optical to work on Windows 10 at all. This could kill the OS for me, gots to have 5.1.. Hopefully this will be sorted soon, really like 10.

When I enable SLI on my 670's it crashes Windows 10. Even with the latest build and drivers to a point it completely makes it unbootable and sits in repair mode or gives me BSOD with NTFS errors.

Hope they fix this for next week.

Has anyone had any issues with the KB3074667 update?

Mine fails everytime, Windows 10 will not boot, unless I go into safe mode about three time, then it will boot. :confused: Really annoying.

Have dropped back to Windows 7 for now. Data tracking is still present in latest build, supposedly being removed July 29th. Don't want to do banking etc on main PC until the data tracking thing is def gone.

Also cannot get 5.1 audio through optical to work on Windows 10 at all. This could kill the OS for me, gots to have 5.1.. Hopefully this will be sorted soon, really like 10.

Even if MS do turn it off on the 29th. There's no saying the won't turn it back on.

Need a little help with 10240

HP Microserver, updated (via update) windows 8.1 pro to build 10166, then on to 10240, activated and all good.

HP Split (laptop), windows 8-8.1 pro, then multiple builds until 10162 (wouldn't update anymore) 10240 ISO downloaded and clean install. now won't activate using Pro key or MS account linked to insider...

I have 1 x windows 8/8.1 key, 1 x windows 8/8,1 pro key and two different linked MS accounts.

How can I get this activated?

or better to reinstall?
go back to 8.1 pro and update again?

Need a little help with 10240

HP Microserver, updated (via update) windows 8.1 pro to build 10166, then on to 10240, activated and all good.

HP Split (laptop), windows 8-8.1 pro, then multiple builds until 10162 (wouldn't update anymore) 10240 ISO downloaded and clean install. now won't activate using Pro key or MS account linked to insider...

I have 1 x windows 8/8.1 key, 1 x windows 8/8,1 pro key and two different linked MS accounts.

How can I get this activated?

or better to reinstall?
go back to 8.1 pro and update again?

I don't think fresh installs of Win 10 are activating at the moment, MS are in transition mode prior to release. However if you use Google you can find a way to get 10240 activated.

Andi.

Even if MS do turn it off on the 29th. There's no saying the won't turn it back on.

Yeah I doubt that would happen, can you imagine how much controversy it cause. Once MS disable it will be gone, and obviously future builds shouldn't have it at all (I hope).

I think I'll jump back onto 10 when new legit ISO's start to appear. I don't care at all about data tracking on my other PC's which still have the latest 10 build, but my main PC I do work stuff, banking etc. Really don't want any back doors to my data in there. Interesting to see how MS go about it from 29th onwards. Maybe a simple patch for existing users that removes data tracking, and new ISO's without it altogether.

The tracking is part of the Insider Preview process and is designed to help them gather data to improve the software through the development phase. It serves no purpose in the 'standard' release. It won't be there.

Back
Top Bottom