Windows 10

Ok, Im sort of coming to terms with the new look Windows 10. My biggest gripe is the over use of the white and grey colours, it is definitely too much, File Explorer is a good example of where it fails - the amount of times I have went to drag the window by the titlebar at the top only to click too far below becomes annoying because it blends in so well with the titlebar. Im hoping for some good visual styles to remedy this.

My another annoyance is the start menu, I just don't see the appeal of all those metro tiles and apps they look ugly. I unpinned them all apart from the Weather one, I do have Start10 from Stardock so it's a personal matter of me messing around between them both and finding the best for me.

I have also done several tweaks to the File Explorer to remove the OneDrive and User Folders.

Long short short, Windows 10 as it is in my opinion is very bad, it just looks horrible and hard to use (Im talking as a developer here), things should be clean and easy to find like in Windows 7.

However, with a lot more tweaks than usual I believe there is some hope yet of having some of the benefits of Windows 10 but in a more user friendly and better looking way, not this dull sea of white and grey and flat metro android look.

I also don't like the way Microsoft seems to be making decisions for us with updates etc but I guess some things you just have to live with I guess.

I have a mix of old and esoteric hardware and don't want them to suddenly become unsupported. Choosing when to update helps achieve that.

so you have a pirated copy of W7?

if you have a OEM copy or retail copy of Windows 7 SP1 or windows 8.1 then you can get the W10 upgrade

I tested windows 7 SP1 on a VM with a dodgy copy of windows 7 SP1 and this also got the update (W10 icon)

No, my install is not pirated, but it also isn't qualified. Like you have discovered, I was under the impression that pirated copies of Windows WERE allowed to upgrade for free to Win10. Bit unfair really.

No, my install is not pirated, but it also isn't qualified. Like you have discovered, I was under the impression that pirated copies of Windows WERE allowed to upgrade for free to Win10. Bit unfair really.
so basically u haven't got sp1 on then?

pirated copies of Windows 7/8/1 can upgrade to Win10 but they'll have watermarks on it. ms don't support them

Last edited:
I have a mix of old and esoteric hardware and don't want them to suddenly become unsupported. Choosing when to update helps achieve that.

fair enough, old hardware is a worry if it will work correctly on W10.

you can always roll back to W7 if you find it doesn't work as you wanted though. image your PC, upgrade to 10 if there is issues restore your image of W7 and you should be good to go

For anyone having any issues with the KB3074667 (Seems to be only be at this stage :mad:)

But have a look here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...p/2a48d39c-e1e7-43e6-849b-3a686514e5a9?auth=1 This is the fix thread, but yet to read through it all as I am at work, but really want to pin this down!

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_update/latest-kb3074665-update-fails-to-install/45f314d1-2ea8-452c-b59f-60440b9f4e46?page=1

I shall give it a go later, and keep you posted, a really stupid thing to go wrong!

Out of curiosity, how long did the said update take to install, for those of you it worked for?

Hi,

Mine applied the update OK, and it literally took a few minutes, and that was it. All ok so far.

I'm on 10240 too, well basically I am completely underwhelmed with it, I see absolutely no improvement over 8.1, it even makes some things worse, this is more like 8.2 than a new version of Windows :( (or 8.11 for Homegroups lol).

I dunno the whole thing just feels very Vista-ry...

Must admit Uber, you are a hard man to please. Lol. Oh well if you don't like it, you don't like it - that's fair enough. It might grow on you though !!!!

Mark

There is always Linux if you get desperate. Runs away fast. Lol

Last edited:
I'm on 10240 too, well basically I am completely underwhelmed with it, I see absolutely no improvement over 8.1, it even makes some things worse, this is more like 8.2 than a new version of Windows :( (or 8.11 for Homegroups lol).

I dunno the whole thing just feels very Vista-ry...

Okay

I have just setup a new rig with W7SP1.

If I install my programs on the computer now, will I have to reinstall them all again on the 29th when the system upgrades to W10?

Got my $23 dollar 8.1 pro license all setup to get Win10 on my second - lower power - PC :-)
Had to run a script for a compatibility check to get the reservation link to show up though.

So far will be getting 3 machines updated to 10 (laptop and two PC's).

I have just setup a new rig with W7SP1.

If I install my programs on the computer now, will I have to reinstall them all again on the 29th when the system upgrades to W10?

You shouldn't have to - no. Your programs etc should carry across if you choose the option to save programs and files during the upgrade.

For anyone having any issues with the KB3074667 (Seems to be only be at this stage :mad:)

But have a look here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...p/2a48d39c-e1e7-43e6-849b-3a686514e5a9?auth=1 This is the fix thread, but yet to read through it all as I am at work, but really want to pin this down!

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_update/latest-kb3074665-update-fails-to-install/45f314d1-2ea8-452c-b59f-60440b9f4e46?page=1

I shall give it a go later, and keep you posted, a really stupid thing to go wrong!

Out of curiosity, how long did the said update take to install, for those of you it worked for?

That updates installed very quickly for me with the system in my sig, between downloading, installing and rebooting to the desktop was less than 2mins.

My ancient netbook with an N270 CPU (32bit only), 2GB ram and a 500GB mechanical HDD took 10mins. It's an extremely slow PC anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
i have read somewhere that MS as said not all devices (pcs/laptops) will get the windows upgrade logo before the 29th. some devices will get it after the 29th.

not sure if thats true or not

I have two PC's one running 64 bit Home Premium and one running 32 bit Ultimate.
Ultimate has given me the option of registering where Home Premium has not.

Both legit.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom