Windows 10

Does anyone know a way of adding custom folders to the start menu or at least changing the location of the media folders?

I have library folders configured so that when clicking them from File Explorer it navigates to my storage drive where I have documents, pictures, music etc and that works fine. What I am looking for though is to have this on the start menu which I have managed to do through the personalise settings for the Start menu.

Windows 7 worked wonderfully for this, click Documents and it would open the Documents folder I assigned to the library path on my storage drive, just the same as for Pictures and Music etc on Windows 10 however it navigates to "C:\Users\SomeUser\Documents" where in fact it should go to "E:\Documents", and so instead of "C:\Users\SomeUser\Pictures" it should navigate to "E:\Pictures" for example.

Is there anyway of making the media start menu items navigate to library paths instead of the Windows paths?

This is another case of fighting Windows 10 all the way :p

Cheers :)

I have two PC's one running 64 bit Home Premium and one running 32 bit Ultimate.
Ultimate has given me the option of registering where Home Premium has not.

Both legit.

Dave

Go here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...i/848b5cce-958b-49ae-a132-a999a883265b?auth=1

Follow the instructions for making a text file. When you save the file, make sure you have file extensions visible as you don't want it to have .cmd.txt but just .cmd on the end.

Run it... and watch it loop for about 30 minutes. It will eventually complete, and hopefully you will then have the icon to be able to reserve your upgrade.

Does anyone know how to stop it updating drivers on its own? I've selected the option of 'never install driver software from windows update' but it still does.

It's just gone and updated my NVidia drivers to 353.54 which doesn't even seem to exist on the NVidia site.... :mad:

^^^^ At first I thought that the GTX 980's drivers had crashed or something but to see within Device Manager that I only had the MS basic drivers installed I kinda figured at that stage MS must have done some sort of update. I checked and found that the PC needed a reboot, no point in deferring due to the resolution going from 1440p to a very basic type. I needed to save my work and close down apps etc to do that.

Rebooting I found the drivers you noted as well as a 3D Vision Photo Viewer and a 3D Vision Preview Pack, which I did not want.

bulldog147 said:
Disable windows update for your drivers!
always been there. Never worked in previous releases. Havent tried 10240 yet.

It's tested on 10240. All worked OK.

Does anyone know how to stop it updating drivers on its own? I've selected the option of 'never install driver software from windows update' but it still does.

It's just gone and updated my NVidia drivers to 353.54 which doesn't even seem to exist on the NVidia site.... :mad:

^^^^ At first I thought that the GTX 980's drivers had crashed or something but to see within Device Manager that I only had the MS basic drivers installed I kinda figured at that stage MS must have done some sort of update. I checked and found that the PC needed a reboot, no point in deferring due to the resolution going from 1440p to a very basic type. I needed to save my work and close down apps etc to do that.

Rebooting I found the drivers you noted as well as a 3D Vision Photo Viewer and a 3D Vision Preview Pack, which I did not want.

you sure about that, bulldog147?

That updates installed very quickly for me with the system in my sig, between downloading, installing and rebooting to the desktop was less than 2mins.

My ancient netbook with an N270 CPU (32bit only), 2GB ram and a 500GB mechanical HDD took 10mins. It's an extremely slow PC anyway.

I really down't understand. I'm running a high clocked x79 setup wth an SSD, paird with 2x AMD r9 GPUs. :confused:

It just booted, the monitors flashed, and blank screen.

Safe mode was hit and miss too!
We had a powercut, and couldn't get it up and running again either! Not done anything other than play games either, Windows 8 is running like a dream though (But 10 is better :()

Just a quick query here,

I've got an MSI GS70 Stealth Pro that came with Windows 8.1 pre-loaded but not long after buying it last year I downgraded to my copy of Windows 7. In order for Windows 7 I had to change the OS settings in the BIOS from UEFI to Legacy.

A couple of days ago I reserved my copy of Windows 10, in order for Windows 10 to work after upgrading from 7 will I immediately have to change back from Legacy to UEFI in the BIOS in order for it to work?

Many thanks - Liam.

Just a quick query here,

I've got an MSI GS70 Stealth Pro that came with Windows 8.1 pre-loaded but not long after buying it last year I downgraded to my copy of Windows 7. In order for Windows 7 I had to change the OS settings in the BIOS from UEFI to Legacy.

A couple of days ago I reserved my copy of Windows 10, in order for Windows 10 to work after upgrading from 7 will I immediately have to change back from Legacy to UEFI in the BIOS in order for it to work?

Many thanks - Liam.

Nope, you can switch it on demand. Windows 10 works in both legacy, and UEFI, but the UEFI is smoother when booting. :)

I know, as I used legacy on my ROG board for a bit, and switched back to UEFI with no problems at all.

Nope, you can switch it on demand. Windows 10 works in both legacy, and UEFI, but the UEFI is smoother when booting. :)

I know, as I used legacy on my ROG board for a bit, and switched back to UEFI with no problems at all.

Thanks mate :)

I may just switch it back to UEFI anyway as I did like the way how quick Windows 8.1 used to boot up when I first got the laptop.

Liam.

Does anyone know a way of adding custom folders to the start menu or at least changing the location of the media folders?

I have library folders configured so that when clicking them from File Explorer it navigates to my storage drive where I have documents, pictures, music etc and that works fine. What I am looking for though is to have this on the start menu which I have managed to do through the personalise settings for the Start menu.

Windows 7 worked wonderfully for this, click Documents and it would open the Documents folder I assigned to the library path on my storage drive, just the same as for Pictures and Music etc on Windows 10 however it navigates to "C:\Users\SomeUser\Documents" where in fact it should go to "E:\Documents", and so instead of "C:\Users\SomeUser\Pictures" it should navigate to "E:\Pictures" for example.

Is there anyway of making the media start menu items navigate to library paths instead of the Windows paths?

This is another case of fighting Windows 10 all the way :p

Cheers :)

Not entirely sure of what you mean but if I right-click on any folder in File Explorer it gives me the option to "Pin to Start". It then appears in the Start menu as a shortcut.

Must admit Uber, you are a hard man to please. Lol. Oh well if you don't like it, you don't like it - that's fair enough. It might grow on you though !!!!

Mark

There is always Linux if you get desperate. Runs away fast. Lol

Heh, I dunno why it feels wrong, it's just when I'm using it I get a sense of "where's the new O/S?", it feels more like 8.1 with a custom theme.

I think the problem is that none of the new features Microsoft are pushing are actually useful to anyone who knows what they are doing, I.E:

The Start menu evolves: Having the option of using an updated W7 start menu or the Windows 8.1 start screen isn't an evolution, it's an option, and having the ability to toggle between them just shows off how much better the full screen menu really is.

Cortana helps you with search and control: So instead of searching from my start menu/screen I can now do it from my taskbar? But I still have to click in the box before typing so it's no easier than clicking start (or pressing Win). I can see this being a great feature for some people as it looks just like the bloatware internet search box they have on their XP taskbar so they will be right at home. Luckily it can be turned off.

Task switcher: It's a button that presses Alt+Tab for you, yaaaaay. I'm actually certain this was on a previous version of Windows as I remember removing it, could have been a beta though. Luckily it can be turned off.

The command prompt enters the 21st century: I can now C&P with CMD.exe, I'll admit that's good, however hasn't Powershell superseded the command prompt now anyway? And is it really a good idea to be shouting about improvements you have made to the command line tool when people won't really need it unless the ability of the GUI has failed them?

Improvements to Windows Explorer: I'm not sure how looking like a Win98 high contrast theme is much of an improvement really...

The new Edge browser: Helped me download Chrome much better than IE :P

Multiple desktops: Anybody who actually needs this already has it as the has been freeware software to provide it since Windows 3.11.

Schedule restarts: Only a useful feature because they have made automatic updates mandatory on home editions.

Settings and control panel: Instead of having settings duplicated in two places like 8.x they are now split between two places (as opposed to being in one place in 7), this is not an improvement, it is a design flaw, plain and simple.

The new GUI: It looks like they took all the negative feedback on the W7-W8 GUI changes, then ignored it all and applied the W8 changes to W8, resulting in a double minimalistic approach that looks terrible, but on the plus side it should work fine with EGA graphics cards so theres a bonus >.>

NB: That is the Windows 98 recycle bin icon, why is it here in 2015?

DirectX 12: Actually a good feature! At last! And we will see the benefits of it in ~3 years! >.>

So yeah, completely underwhelmed, I don't need MS to make Windows 8.1 look terrible, I could have done that. It seems W10 is heavily targeting people who are not computer literate as those are the people 8.x failed to engage (and also the ones too stubborn to give up the start menu for a superior alternative because they were afraid of change)

Back
Top Bottom