Windows 10

the nitpicking and negativity is rather unjustified - why do people feel the needs to slate something because it doesn't "look exactly" how they want it?

It's an os for billions of people, an effort to get everyone under one roof - it isnt even out yet!

It will be updated continuously and from what little playing around it seems quite customisable.

As for edge vs chrome, chrome has become a bloated buggy pos in recent months, if nothing else a new browser will force them to do something about it.

Windows 7 wasn't great on first release, while it was a big improvement on vista, it took several months after release for it to be commonly accepted as a good os...... probably because a lot of us were still using 2000!

Is it perfect? No, but it's a massive step in the right direction I feel

Heh, I dunno why it feels wrong, it's just when I'm using it I get a sense of "where's the new O/S?", it feels more like 8.1 with a custom theme.

I think the problem is that none of the new features Microsoft are pushing are actually useful to anyone who knows what they are doing, I.E:

The Start menu evolves: Having the option of using an updated W7 start menu or the Windows 8.1 start screen isn't an evolution, it's an option, and having the ability to toggle between them just shows off how much better the full screen menu really is.

Cortana helps you with search and control: So instead of searching from my start menu/screen I can now do it from my taskbar? But I still have to click in the box before typing so it's no easier than clicking start (or pressing Win). I can see this being a great feature for some people as it looks just like the bloatware internet search box they have on their XP taskbar so they will be right at home. Luckily it can be turned off.

Task switcher: It's a button that presses Alt+Tab for you, yaaaaay. I'm actually certain this was on a previous version of Windows as I remember removing it, could have been a beta though. Luckily it can be turned off.

The command prompt enters the 21st century: I can now C&P with CMD.exe, I'll admit that's good, however hasn't Powershell superseded the command prompt now anyway? And is it really a good idea to be shouting about improvements you have made to the command line tool when people won't really need it unless the ability of the GUI has failed them?

Improvements to Windows Explorer: I'm not sure how looking like a Win98 high contrast theme is much of an improvement really...

The new Edge browser: Helped me download Chrome much better than IE :P

Multiple desktops: Anybody who actually needs this already has it as the has been freeware software to provide it since Windows 3.11.

Schedule restarts: Only a useful feature because they have made automatic updates mandatory on home editions.

Settings and control panel: Instead of having settings duplicated in two places like 8.x they are now split between two places (as opposed to being in one place in 7), this is not an improvement, it is a design flaw, plain and simple.

The new GUI: It looks like they took all the negative feedback on the W7-W8 GUI changes, then ignored it all and applied the W8 changes to W8, resulting in a double minimalistic approach that looks terrible, but on the plus side it should work fine with EGA graphics cards so theres a bonus >.>

NB: That is the Windows 98 recycle bin icon, why is it here in 2015?

DirectX 12: Actually a good feature! At last! And we will see the benefits of it in ~3 years! >.>

So yeah, completely underwhelmed, I don't need MS to make Windows 8.1 look terrible, I could have done that. It seems W10 is heavily targeting people who are not computer literate as those are the people 8.x failed to engage (and also the ones too stubborn to give up the start menu for a superior alternative because they were afraid of change)

I agree with you in many respects uber - it does seem somewhat dumbed down, but I still feel that there are useful improvements - especially under the hood as they say.
To be quite honest I suppose I am a little underwhelmed also, but overall still think it is not that bad, and preferable to win 8/8.1. At the end of the day it is a personal choice as always - if you can say it is actually a choice as such, I am sure many will feel compelled to upgrade because it is free, and the latest and greatest. Lol.

Mark

Quick question for anyone running the technical preview, are you experisnce any refresh/vsync issues? Mine has been fine but recently it has started doing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8DTiVP90G0

In the first clip the game is averaging 70-80 fps but as you can see it is very choppy, after turning Vsync on it is perfectly smooth. Does anyone know what could be causing this? I've tried the usual reinstall of drivers etc. This is also happening on multiple games and not just Dirt.

Does anyone know a way of adding custom folders to the start menu or at least changing the location of the media folders?

I have library folders configured so that when clicking them from File Explorer it navigates to my storage drive where I have documents, pictures, music etc and that works fine. What I am looking for though is to have this on the start menu which I have managed to do through the personalise settings for the Start menu.

Windows 7 worked wonderfully for this, click Documents and it would open the Documents folder I assigned to the library path on my storage drive, just the same as for Pictures and Music etc on Windows 10 however it navigates to "C:\Users\SomeUser\Documents" where in fact it should go to "E:\Documents", and so instead of "C:\Users\SomeUser\Pictures" it should navigate to "E:\Pictures" for example.

Is there anyway of making the media start menu items navigate to library paths instead of the Windows paths?

This is another case of fighting Windows 10 all the way :p

Cheers :)

you mean like right clicking on said folder in file explorer going to properties and the changing the location in the location tab?

Has it not been like this for ages ?

Last edited:
Does anyone know a way of adding custom folders to the start menu or at least changing the location of the media folders?

I have library folders configured so that when clicking them from File Explorer it navigates to my storage drive where I have documents, pictures, music etc and that works fine. What I am looking for though is to have this on the start menu which I have managed to do through the personalise settings for the Start menu.

Windows 7 worked wonderfully for this, click Documents and it would open the Documents folder I assigned to the library path on my storage drive, just the same as for Pictures and Music etc on Windows 10 however it navigates to "C:\Users\SomeUser\Documents" where in fact it should go to "E:\Documents", and so instead of "C:\Users\SomeUser\Pictures" it should navigate to "E:\Pictures" for example.

Is there anyway of making the media start menu items navigate to library paths instead of the Windows paths?

This is another case of fighting Windows 10 all the way :p

Cheers :)

Sadly Microsoft has moved away from libraries because the feature confused the retarded, in Windows 8 they were hidden by default and you have to select to be able to see them in Windows Explorer (this is the same in 10).

If it helps, clicking the Windows Explorer icon on the taskbar then clicking the library you want requires no more effort than clicking start then clicking the library did.

Sadly Microsoft has moved away from libraries because the feature confused the retarded, in Windows 8 they were hidden by default and you have to select to be able to see them in Windows Explorer (this is the same in 10).

If it helps, clicking the Windows Explorer icon on the taskbar then clicking the library you want requires no more effort than clicking start then clicking the library did.

Thanks, judging from a few of the other comments here a few other people don't understand the proper use of the Libraries either :p

To simplify it for everyone else, on the Windows 7 Start Menu you have:

Documents
Music
Pictures
Videos (added separately)
Clicking them would open their corresponding paths on Windows, so for example:

Documents = C:\users\SomeUser\Documents
Music = C:\users\SomeUser\Music
Pictures = C:\users\SomeUser\Pictures
Videos = C:\users\SomeUser\Videos
Those are the default Windows locations, however you had the ability to change those to navigate to your library paths which you can define from Windows Explorer.

I already know about moving the location but this is incorrect, the proper use of the libraries (or to keep it simple, media shortcuts if you will) is to navigate away from the Windows paths and instead go to the paths you defined from the Libraries. Again, for example if my library paths were defined as:

E:\Documents
E:\Music
E:\Pictures
E:\Videos
Clicking on the Start Menu would no longer navigate to the Windows paths, instead they would navigate to the Library paths that have been defined.

If people did not know the correct use of the Windows Libraries then now you do :p

I thought it was a great feature but sadly it does not behave well on the Windows 10 Start Menu. I already discovered the Pin to Start context menu but dam those square tiles are ugly!

I'm on wins 8.1 after installing wins 10 will Microsoft give me a wins 10 key for the 29th install if I need to reinstall again?

they will upgrade your windows 8.1 to be used with W10 and your hardware tagged, you will not get a new key.

once windows 10 is fully released you can do a clean install of W10 using your windows 8.1 key

Back
Top Bottom