Windows 10

your Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 key is used to activate W10. you don't get a new key or anything so you can only have either W10 or previous OS activated at any one time.

if you don't like W10 you can roll back to your previous OS.

Thanks for the info.

It wasn't a case of rolling back, i've currently got 8 on my pc (which isn't eligible for 10 upgrade), and with w10 available next week, i can't be bothered to upgrade to 8.1 and then upgrade to 10 and then reformat to install 10 from scratch.

Guess i'll just grab a copy from MSDN on Weds morning if MS servers are not too under load.

Thanks for the info.

It wasn't a case of rolling back, i've currently got 8 on my pc (which isn't eligible for 10 upgrade), and with w10 available next week, i can't be bothered to upgrade to 8.1 and then upgrade to 10 and then reformat to install 10 from scratch.

Guess i'll just grab a copy from MSDN on Weds morning if MS servers are not too under load.

I have a feeling that they will be. :(

I am a bit hesitant to upgrade to W10.
I have looked around on youtube and everyone who was saying it was awsome had Nvidia card and I have 295x2.
Also I am still not clear on the pricing ? so one year free and then you pay 140quid for pro version ?
Also how can I do clean install ? Can I get this on usb and then install from it or ? I assume I should uninstall all my games and so on....

Should I go for it ? I am quite happy with w7...

I have been indifferent to Windows 10 up until now, but I'm starting to get a bit excited - as sad as that may be :D

I am kind of the opposite. I was excited about Windows 10 for quite some time, but after following the development of it and reading ubers and toon-mads comments, I'm a bit meh about it now.

I will say I am a sucker for a bit of eye-candy in my software. For example, I thought Android Lollipop was a nice step forward for Android despite everyone still insisting its the "Vista" of the Android world (utter BS IMO).

W10 started to look nice to my eyes, but it seems they stopped short of making it as nice as it could be. Example, they allow you to have a black start menu and taskbar, but all of the windows are now white? What's that about? Windows 7 let you have a black colour scheme out of the box, Windows 8 you had to apply a visual style if you wanted to read any text in the windows if you pick black. Is it even an option now?

I also thought they were bringing back Aero, but it seems they haven't? If anything, the interface is looking even more flat and bland than it used to. I'm no W7 apologist (I actually thought W8.1 was better once you got rid of the crap you didn't want), but W7 seems to be by far the best looking version of Windows yet and it's nearly 7 years old FFS!!

As uber says, a lot of the stuff it brings to the table is stuff that anyone competent could already do.

Also, people have been asking for a tabbed file explorer for YEARS and MS ignores us time and time again.

Considering I don't have any valid licences other than an 8.0 upgrade (which I didn't actually realise was an upgrade at the time I bought it) then I'm doubting I'm going to get this for free either... unless they take my 8.0 upgrade key and let me have it for nowt... I think I know the answer to that.

I'm just not even arsed about it any more. I might just stick with 8.1 - it has been ultra stable and until DX12 becomes mainstream I can't think of a single reason to bother. Though knowing me, my eventual desire to have the latest and greatest mixed with a degree of boredom probably means I will anyway, but I can't say I'm excited about it at all (unlike when I got LP for Android for example).

Hi all,

Quick question looking to buy win10 next week, but unsure which version to get after reading about the OEM & retail copy...it appeared that if i get the OEM version its locked to my Motherboard i.e if i change the MB will i need to get a new version of Win10, is that correct?

But the retail version allows me to change stuff i.e the MB and reinstall on the now new machine?

If that's the case is the USB version sold on overclockers the Retail version?

There's a blog on TN about this here if you've not seen it.

Yeah thanks, someone linked it the other day on the HomeServerShow forums.

Basically it doesn't work at all right now but a compatible connector is coming soon which will need manually installing. An update to allow it to be installed from the server won't be here until around October.

No problems manually installing, just a matter of when they release it as I can't upgrade until then. That said I won't be taking the plunge until around the end of August for various reasons and I'd assume it'll be available by then.

Thanks for the info.

Iirc you need to upgrade to windows 8.1 before you can upgrade to W10 otherwise your 8.1 key will not be flagged to work with W10 on a clean install and will not activate.

taken from the W 10 FAQ

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/windows-10-faq?ocid=win10_auxapp_ReserveConf_win10faq

Are there any qualification requirements?

The only requirements are that a) your device is compatible, and b) you’re running genuine Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) or Windows 8.1 (Update).

Windows 10 is designed to run on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 PCs. That means your device is likely compatible and will run Windows 10.1

See the full specifications here.

I am a bit hesitant to upgrade to W10.
I have looked around on youtube and everyone who was saying it was awsome had Nvidia card and I have 295x2.
Also I am still not clear on the pricing ? so one year free and then you pay 140quid for pro version ?
Also how can I do clean install ? Can I get this on usb and then install from it or ? I assume I should uninstall all my games and so on....

Should I go for it ? I am quite happy with w7...

The free upgrade is free forever for the life of that device. If you have a Windows 7 or 8.1 license you can upgrade that device to 10 for free and it will have 10 forever. Its not a limited offer, its just the Upgrade is being sold on offer at £0 for a year.

If you build a new PC and need a brand new licences then you need to buy one, which will be around £140 for Pro.

Hi all,

Quick question looking to buy win10 next week, but unsure which version to get after reading about the OEM & retail copy...it appeared that if i get the OEM version its locked to my Motherboard i.e if i change the MB will i need to get a new version of Win10, is that correct?

But the retail version allows me to change stuff i.e the MB and reinstall on the now new machine?

If that's the case is the USB version sold on overclockers the Retail version?

Yes OEM is locked to your device (read motherboard), while Retail is fully transferable.

Having just checked OcUK sell both. OEM is cheaper and DVD, while Retail is the more expensive versions on USB.

The free upgrade is free forever for the life of that device. If you have a Windows 7 or 8.1 license you can upgrade that device to 10 for free and it will have 10 forever. Its not a limited offer, its just the Upgrade is being sold on offer at £0 for a year.

If you build a new PC and need a brand new licences then you need to buy one, which will be around £140 for Pro.

Yes OEM is locked to your device (read motherboard), while Retail is fully transferable.

Having just checked OcUK sell both. OEM is cheaper and DVD, while Retail is the more expensive versions on USB.

If I reinstall win ? Or if I want to downgrade to win 7 can I use the licence key I have for win 7 ? My installation is not OEM

also if I click on the flag that I want win 10 will that do clean (format win drive) install or Can I put the install on a USB ?

I am kind of the opposite. I was excited about Windows 10 for quite some time, but after following the development of it and reading ubers and toon-mads comments, I'm a bit meh about it now.....

I'm the same. I think its still buggy. The UI isn't that exciting. It another MS OS (product) where they've moved stuff around without any real improvements in functionality. I actually like Windows 8x but I use it with Classic Shell. Classic works just as well with 10. But once they turn off all the tracking I'll give W10 a proper go. At the moment I'm just using it for gaming not my main machine.

The one thing that's really annoyed me about Win10 is the removal of Media Center. I get that usage was relatively low but I've never found a better PVR application for Windows. There are plenty of very good media management/library/streaming apps out there but, for watching and recording live TV, nothing came close to WMC.

My HTPC in the living room will be remaining on Win7 forever and that's no issue but I'm going to hate losing WMC on my main machine when I upgrade.

If I reinstall win ? Or if I want to downgrade to win 7 can I use the licence key I have for win 7 ? My installation is not OEM

also if I click on the flag that I want win 10 will that do clean (format win drive) install or Can I put the install on a USB ?

if you upgrade to W10 and don't like it or want to go back to W7 you can but you can only one os activated at a time as they use the same key.

if you click the flag and reserve your copy it will do a upgrade from W7 to W10 and not a clean install. once you have upgraded from W7 to W10 you can then do a clean install via a USB stick

if you upgrade to W10 and don't like it or want to go back to W7 you can but you can only one os activated at a time as they use the same key.

if you click the flag and reserve your copy it will do a upgrade from W7 to W10 and not a clean install. once you have upgraded from W7 to W10 you can then do a clean install via a USB stick

I was just about to ask this as I don't like the idea of "upgrading"!

I was just about to ask this as I don't like the idea of "upgrading"!

nor do I but if you upgrade you can then do a clean install after the upgrade using your previous OS product key, you cannot do this till you have done the upgrade first as the key\hardware will not be flagged usable with W10

I still think this whole requirement to in-place upgrade first before you can wipe and reinstall from scratch is completely retarded.

I know it's an upgrade but there's no reason whatsoever that they couldn't allow eligible 7/8 installations to register themselves without actually performing the upgrade before you format and start from scratch.

I still think this whole requirement to in-place upgrade first before you can wipe and reinstall from scratch is completely retarded.

I know it's an upgrade but there's no reason whatsoever that they couldn't allow eligible 7/8 installations to register themselves without actually performing the upgrade before you format and start from scratch.

I know, I hate upgrading too and always prefer to do a clean install of the OS. its so they can flag your key\hardware useable with W10 as until this is done a clean install cannot be done using a 7\8.1 key

I know, I hate upgrading too and always prefer to do a clean install of the OS. its so they can flag your key\hardware useable with W10 as until this is done a clean install cannot be done using a 7\8.1 key

Yes but there's no reason that you couldn't just start the process on your existing 7/8 system, register your product key and/or machine hash on their systems as eligible etc and then just NOT do the actual upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom