Windows 10

I honestly thought I was alone

Oh. Well. That clearly solves the concern of the window crashing every time you need to do something network related. Smashing.

Just tried that and it crashed mine as well :(

Even if I double click on a network it does it. It was fine a day or two ago. This must have been caused by one of those security updates. Will try removing them one by one and see what happens.

Just seen this on a google search, will remove it and see if that fixes it.

http://betanews.com/2015/07/26/windows-10-update-kb3074681-causes-explorer-crashes/

This is why I hate fully automatic updates, bloody MS :mad:

Update - MS has just released an update again that may fix it (KB3074683).

Update 2 - Installed the new patch, rebooted and everything is fine, explorer no longer crashes when I click on networks or uninstall programs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm planning to upgrade my PC in a month. If I go ahead with the upgrade from Windows 7 now, then upgrade my pc hardware, am I out of luck in terms of being able to run 10, or will calling them up probably allow me to transfer the licence to my new hardware?

Just tried that and it crashed mine as well :(

Even if I double click on a network it does it. It was fine a day or two ago. This must have been caused by one of those security updates. Will try removing them one by one and see what happens.

Just seen this on a google search, will remove it and see if that fixes it.

http://betanews.com/2015/07/26/windows-10-update-kb3074681-causes-explorer-crashes/

This is why I hate fully automatic updates, bloody MS :mad:

Update - MS has just released an update again that may fix it (KB3074683).

Update 2 - Installed the new patch, rebooted and everything is fine, explorer no longer crashes when I click on networks or uninstall programs.

I think this demonstrates well how systems left on the insider builds are going to behave when Windows 10 is released. Insiders are going to have crashes caused by early automatic updates until the update is stable. Once stable, the update will be pushed out to machines with fully licenced versions.

Hardly a surprise, that's exactly what they said they would do?

There will be a pile of day 0 patches applied to when you install, basically all the ones the Insiders have been getting over the last few weeks.

I'm building a new system and doing a clean install and erm 'can't find a copy of windows lying around' *looks shiftily* so I've preordered a copy of Windows 10 Home x64 on DVD, does anyone know how I can make it into a bootable USB? As I'm not planning on including a disc drive in my new system.

Quick question which has probably been asked to death but not the easiest to search for.

Currently got a legit copy of 8.1 installed on PC and really need to do an OS reinstall this week. Been trying to hold off for the official release tomorrow but appears that the download is staggered. I am registered as a Windows insider and have already reserved my copy of Windows 10.

Now the question. If I install the latest release (which appears to be the RTM) how does this work with the license from my 8.1? Will this be moved over when it upgrades to the "official" release in the next few days?

My original plan was to do the upgrade so the license is covered then do a fresh install on the official, is that the same way to do it with the early releases?

EDIT: Looks like I found my answer finally!

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9395/windows-10-insider-activation-update-part-2

Anandtech said:
The second scenario is that you have upgraded your Windows 7 or 8.1 computer to the pre-release Windows 10 build, but when the final build comes around you want to exit the program. As long as you started with a licensed Windows 7 or 8.1 PC, your PC will remain activated.

The final scenario is if you want to exit the Insider program, but you are running Windows 10 from a clean install. In this scenario, you will be required to roll back to the original operating system, and then do the Windows 10 upgrade in order to get activated. Once activated, you can do another clean install if necessary.

So I do the upgrade to the insider release which will take my current license, I can then do the final fresh install like the official copy. This will then update to the final copy by leaving the program.

Now to download and create a USB for this.

EDIT2: Looks like out of luck and have to wait, from Windows Insider website:

NOTE: We’re very close to the public release of Windows 10 so we’re not onboarding any new PCs to the Windows Insider Program just now. You can still register and start using Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview, and we’ll let you know as soon as there’s a new Insider Preview build for you to try on your PC.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom