Windows 10

Soldato
Does that mean we are likely to have to purchase a new license every time we move over to a new computer or change motherboards?

Well in theory yeah, as an OEM license is tied to one PC setup, if you upgrade a motherboard for example, your license is not "legal"
But with the way Windows 10 activates, I think MS may have found a way to force people to eventually buy a new license, if its correct that they are not releasing a retail verison.

But this is worst case thinking of course.

Soldato
No. Otherwise what would be the point in requiring it in the first place?

I was hoping that it was just for the install otherwise I have a bit of a problem.

I assume I can uninstall and reinstall windows 7/8 versions on some different computers before I go ahead upgrade them to 10? This won't cause issues will it even if Windows Update has already downloaded 10?

Caporegime
Looks like my problem was trying to do the install on a second Administrator account instead of the one created during Windows 7 setup. It's definitely doing more than it did - "preparing for installation".

Soldato
Has nobody seen the MAJOR flaw with Windows 10 free upgrade??
Yes. A lot of people have and there is a lot of misinformation surrounding it. As far as I know the license type you upgrade from carries over but you don't get a full Windows 10 license, just the upgrade. So if you upgrade from Windows 7 retail then you can move the license around as you did before. However, you will need to reinstall Windows 7 on a new machine first and then go through the Microsoft technical team to re-authenticate the new machine.

Associate
I'm sure I read somewhere in this thread a few weeks back that a retail key was still transferable?

Edit: Probably means Win 10 transferable rights, not Windows 7...

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't know what to do then really. I have a few computers installed with 8.1 Pro that don't really need the equivalent 10 edition. So I'm not sure whether to reinstall with some Windows 7 keys that I own now or just hope that the 8.1 keys will be reusable?

Associate
I'm sure I read somewhere in this thread a few weeks back that a retail key was still transferable?

I think we need to get more info about this because a lot of people including myself are not going to be very happy if they have ditched the
transferable licenses and force us to purchase a new license every time we move to a new computers or even change motherboards.

Soldato
it uses your windows 7 key and hardware to be tagged which is done via the W7 to W10 update.

at both stages the install didn't except my key but was activated once on the desktop for the first time.

check to see if its already activated as mine was and I didn't have to do anything

Yeah but I kinda, maybe, just did a clean install of Windows 10 skipping out the Windows 7 part so will hopefully figure itself out :D

Associate
I think we need to get more info about this because a lot of people including myself are not going to be very happy if they have ditched the
transferable licenses and force us to purchase a new license every time we move to a new computers or even change motherboards.

I'd assume the worst to be honest until they clarify. It would make sense from a business point of view, get everyone on W10 for 'free' and nullify their working keys safe in the knowledge that people will upgrade parts, desktops and laptops and then they will either have to pay full price for W10 or install 7/8.1 by which time they may have even pulled the retail copies for anyway. But surely MS wouldn't do that would they? :eek:

This is just plausible speculation before the MS nazis chase me down.

Back
Top Bottom