Windows 10

Soldato
Has nobody seen the MAJOR flaw with Windows 10 free upgrade??

The upgrade is tied to your hardware, as first install requires an activated Window 7 or 8 with a valid activation key.

Then Windows 10 activates when upgraded and it uses a generic key from there.

The Windows activation then is tied to your hardware and will activate with a new fresh install from then onwards, maybe it ties your license to your BIOS serial numbers or something, as future installs do NOT need any license keys and you do not have the option to put in a key.

So what if you upgrade? Your hardware ID will change. How will that work? Will you need to install 8.1 everytime? and then install 10 over the top of it? And what happens after the first "free year"

If so, that is rubbish.

Associate
Hi guys,

I have just noticed OcUK now has Windows 10 for pre order. Which one is the retail versions? I can only see OEM versions which will be tied to the motherboard you activate it on.

The retail version usually gives you more activation attempts and allows you to transfer over to another computer.

Associate
So if we're having issues installing it aren't we better off just installing 10240 build and then the update will come at some point? I saved the the 101XX build so I could reinstall it as they pulled the insider last week but it should still update to 10240 and beyond I suspect. Anyone got any ideas?

Associate
Hi guys,

I have just noticed OcUK now has Windows 10 for pre order. Which one is the retail versions? I can only see OEM versions which will be tied to the motherboard you activate it on.

The retail version usually gives you more activation attempts and allows you to transfer over to another computer.

Check the OCUK facebook page, I'm sure OCUK said there was no longer a retail version for windows when someone else asked. Probably due to the fact that it ties itself to your hardware I'm guessing.

Soldato

The upgrade is tied to your hardware, as first install requires an activated Window 7 or 8 with a valid activation key.

The Windows activation then is tied to your hardware and will activate with a new fresh install from then onwards, maybe it ties your license to your BIOS serial numbers or something, as future installs do NOT need any license keys and you do not have the option to put in a key.

So what if you upgrade? Your hardware ID will change. How will that work? Will you need to install 8.1 everytime? and then install 10 over the top of it? And what happens after the first "free year"

If so, that is rubbish.

That's what I'm worried about as well, but seeing how slow CPU advances are, I don't have any plans to replace my motherboard for the next couple of years. When that time comes I have a feeling I may just buy a retail copy just to make life easier in the future.

Soldato
So if we're having issues installing it aren't we better off just installing 10240 build and then the update will come at some point? I saved the the 101XX build so I could reinstall it as they pulled the insider last week but it should still update to 10240 and beyond I suspect. Anyone got any ideas?

yes, worked for me, but just wont activate at the moment.

Soldato

If so, that is rubbish.

Call MS and let them know of the hardware change if activation doesn't work. Same process since the Vista days.

Soldato
Call MS and let them know of the hardware change if activation doesn't work. Same process since the Vista days.

I would think it would just be a phone call to M$ to activate ..

But with that you always were prompted to enter a license key before hand to at least get an activation code that you have to give MS - now you cannot even enter a key. And the automated system would provide a code you then have to enter, but without any "key" to enter in the first place, how will that work?

Soldato
I just ran the Media Creation tool which failed at the end and i now have both a $Windows.~BT (2.6gb) and a $Windows.~WS (5.8gb) folder. Both have only a Sources folder inside.

Created an ISO from the WS version as per the instructions on the Windows website, ran the ISO and after it checked for updates it again fails with the message "Something went wrong..."

Seems I cant install it by any method.

Permabanned
But with that you always were prompted to enter a license key before hand to at least get an activation code that you have to give MS - now you cannot even enter a key. And the automated system would provide a code you then have to enter, but without any "key" to enter in the first place, how will that work?

This might come within time... like an app or something? Surely Microsoft would have thought about this one... unless it's true that the edition is tied therefore Microsoft won't activate Windows again on hardware change... oh o...

Associate
Check the OCUK facebook page, I'm sure OCUK said there was no longer a retail version for windows when someone else asked. Probably due to the fact that it ties itself to your hardware I'm guessing.

Does that mean we are likely to have to purchase a new license every time we move over to a new computer or change motherboards?

Soldato
Press skip? Then login with ms account, done. Did it weeks ago on a fresh install without a new insider key but my account was already listed as one.

Don't understand some of these struggles, it's been really straight forward. Did this for a few friends PCs as well, all fine

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom