Windows 10

Soldato
It stands to reason that Microsoft do have a solution to reactivation. They're giving Windows 10 away for free because they want everyone to upgrade to that OS. If you can't use your Windows 10 license because you've bought a new motherboard then you're quite likely to just go back to Windows 7 or 8.1. Wouldn't that be 'mission unaccomplished' for them?

Soldato
Is it going to cause problems if I change around some of the versions on my computers before I install Windows 10 and even though it has already downloaded it ready to be installed?

Will it just redownload Windows 10 for the new version I've installed?

Soldato
Yeah but I kinda, maybe, just did a clean install of Windows 10 skipping out the Windows 7 part so will hopefully figure itself out :D

if you didn't upgrade from a previous OS before doing a clean install it will not activate.

I had to go from W7 to W10 and then done a clean install once the upgrade completed successfully so my hardware and key was tagged by Microsoft.

you maybe stuck with a un activated OS if you have gone for a clean install without doing the upgrade first.

Associate
It is discussed here and it quotes from the EULA:

"15. UPGRADES. To use upgrade software, you must first be licensed for the software that is eligible for the upgrade. Upon upgrade, this agreement takes the place of the agreement for the software you upgraded from. After you upgrade, you may no longer use the software you upgraded from."

Depends on what they make of the "may no longer" bit...

Soldato
Second install after waiting for updates to be downloaded and restarted to install them I just get black screens unless i choose to go into the BIOS.

Not quite sure why or what to do.. Other than install Win 7 then upgrade to Win 10 or just go back to Win 7 for now.

Considering I have been within Windows 10 working before updates are added I can't imagine what difference option 1 of going from Win 7 then upgrading to 10 would do.

:(

Soldato
Can someone remind me what the implications for licensing Windows 10 are?

I've got a Windows 8 PC (fresh install not upgrade) on an old motherboard. I understand if I change my motherboard I am licensed to reinstall windows 8. If I upgrade to 10, will I then need to buy a new licence if I upgrade my PC?

I'd have bought a new licence if it didn't cost nearly £200 for the privilege. :(

Soldato
Can someone remind me what the implications for licensing Windows 10 are?

I've got a Windows 8 PC (fresh install not upgrade) on an old motherboard. I understand if I change my motherboard I am licensed to reinstall windows 8. If I upgrade to 10, will I then need to buy a new licence if I upgrade my PC?

I'd have bought a new licence if it didn't cost nearly £200 for the privilege. :(

is it retail or OEM? OEM is tied to the mobo and if its retail it can be moved to any system as long as its not active on the previous one

Associate

According to the info on that link there is retail licenses. Perhaps the Microsoft Windows 10 32/64-Bit - USB Pen Drive version has a different license than the OEM versions and this license is transferable.

Same when you bought the retail version of Windows 7 or 8, you got both the 32/64-Bit version plus the license was different to that of the standalone OEM versions.

Associate
Guys does anyone know how the OS decides on what the user account folder is named as? The only reason I ask is when I go into the Users folder on the C: drive my folder is not named how it used to be. On W8 it was called jaseuk now its just jaseu. Any ideas as its bugging me?

Back
Top Bottom