Windows 10

Associate
Can anyone confirm that by reinstalling a different version of Windows now the Windows 10 free upgrade will still work afterwards?

Free upgrade should work on any copy of W7/8/8.1 for next 12 months

Anyone able to answer this please? Can you check your folders and let me know if its how its meant to be. ta ;)

Mine is now benkr - appears that it must have a 5 character limit for some reason.

Associate
Downloaded the iso with the media creation ready for the full reinstall once upgraded.

Now to wait for the media creation to update windows 8.1 to 10. I hate slow internet :(

Soldato
So can I not activate Windows 10 clean install using my Windows 7 Pro key?

No, have either Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 installed. You then need to upgrade to Windows 10 from there. Once you have upgraded you can then do a clean install, you won't need a key.

Microsoft needs to link your hardware to their servers.

Installing directly to Windows 10 will just leave you with an inactivated copy.

Soldato
I recently bought a Nuc and getting Windows 7 to install is a nightmare because of USB3. So I have been waiting for Windows 10 to stick on it but it looks like I still have to install it and upgrade instead of doing a complete reinstall. Is that correct?

Soldato
nope, not first time.

You need to upgrade the first time, but future installs can be clean, due to using a hardware ID snapshot that MS store when you have upgraded for the first time.

Ah, this is good. My windows 7 is an upgrade version of XP I think. Would've been hell if I always had to install XP, upgrade to 7 and then 10 every time :p

Associate
So I have finally got W10 up and running now after just going through the official download link - W10 Download

I basically just ran the set up and it went through and appears to be activated. Though I still have the $Windows.~BT and .~WS taking up a large chunk of space so about to delete those and the Windows.old folder. Also I'm going to spend a bit of time sorting out the drivers (see below) and some programs again lol (see below)

WncTsro.png

CGWyVVU.png

tLEeCy8.png

Soldato
Anyone having trouble just download the ISO from;

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10ISO

Then get the right version and run it as an upgrade on the PC you wish to update.

Guys how does this work with Microsoft Licensing? I was wanting to do my laptop i use for work as i'm wanting to test etc. We have WSUS for our updates so i'm guessing this won't come through automatically.

Do i need to download the tool above? or go back to VLS and re-download there?

Thanks.

Permabanned
Guys how does this work with Microsoft Licensing? I was wanting to do my laptop i use for work as i'm wanting to test etc. We have WSUS for our updates so i'm guessing this won't come through automatically.

Do i need to download the tool above? or go back to VLS and re-download there?

Thanks.

VLS or MSDN for businesses. Unless you have Windows 7 Home/Pro or Windows 8 installed on any business laptops / desktops.

Soldato
I done the reserve of my copy over a month ago.
I have no Windows BT folder under C:
Have tried removing the data in softwaredistribution\downloads and running the /update now flagged command. 3 times now since 0800 this morning....

Still absolutely nothing is triggering. Windows Update itself just keeps saying I am reserved and will be notified when my machine can be upgraded.

Soldato
Free upgrade should work on any copy of W7/8/8.1 for next 12 months

Mine is now benkr - appears that it must have a 5 character limit for some reason.

you can only upgrade to W10 if you are on 8.1 or W7 SP1, anything below this W8 or W7 non sp1 needs to upgrade to SP1 and to 8.1 before they can get the W10 upgrade

Back
Top Bottom