Windows 10

Soldato
So I have finally got W10 up and running now after just going through the official download link - W10 Download

I basically just ran the set up and it went through and appears to be activated. Though I still have the $Windows.~BT and .~WS taking up a large chunk of space so about to delete those and the Windows.old folder. Also I'm going to spend a bit of time sorting out the drivers (see below) and some programs again lol (see below)

WncTsro.png

CGWyVVU.png

tLEeCy8.png

do a clean install of W10 now you have done the upgrade, this is what I did

Soldato
I have Windows 8.1 on my machine. I am waiting for MS to notify me when I can upgrade for free.

I signed up to Insider previously but didn't get round to installing. Can I install this now?

If I upgrade with the insider ISO what serial to I need to use for Windows, my current 8.1 serial key?

Soldato
Just to make that I have understood this correctly, I will give my scenario first:

One PC with Win 7 Retail
One PC with Win 7 OEM

Both are going to get motherboards changed real soon (one will be x99 and the other z97). Would it be better for me change the motherboards and reinstall Win 7 on both machines (tho I will have to call MS to let them know of the mobo change on the machine using OEM)? Or should I just upgrade both machines to Win10, change out the mobos, then ring MS to let them know of the mobo change on the OEM?

Does that make any kind of sense?

Associate
I have Windows 8.1 on my machine. I am waiting for MS to notify me when I can upgrade for free.

I signed up to Insider previously but didn't get round to installing. Can I install this now?

If I upgrade with the insider ISO what serial to I need to use for Windows, my current 8.1 serial key?

Nope, MS have disabled the insider CD key - everybody on the insider programed used the same key.

Soldato
As I explained earlier after booting into Windows 10 after installing updates which then required a reboot after the reboot I just black screened after passing the BIOS splash screen I then have gone onto reinstalling Windows 7 which I have then had the exact same problem, after disconnecting the GPU and rebooting I can now boot into Windows therefore it seems after instillation of drivers the issue is caused.

I don't mean to be somewhat off topic but could any of you tech guru's provide me some guidance as im stuck!

Associate
do a clean install of W10 now you have done the upgrade, this is what I did

Is that going to do much considering I've removed temp file Windows.~BT etc and Windows.old plus I never kept anything during install other than Steam Libraries on other drives. Probably still do it though, just through minor OCD but anyone reading might wonder if there is a valid reason other than the OCUK forum is more like OCDUK

Associate
This worked for me:

1. Delete everything in the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder
2. Run this command in an instance of cmd.exe ran as administrator: wuauclt.exe /updatenow

0x80070057 error? Run this as a .reg file
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX] "IsConvergedUpdateStackEnabled"=dword:00000000
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX\Settings] "UxOption"=dword:00000000

Associate
Used the ISO to put windows 10 Pro on over Windows 8.1 Pro at work (didn't have the icon to do the other method as it's a domain machine). It installed fine but wouldn't activate, also it deactivated office 2013 (365 account) and wouldn't activate that either. Had to roll back!!!

Caporegime
Lol, this is a bit of a shambles.

I don't understand why everyone is so eager to upgrade.

Luckily mine has restored itself to windows 8.1 after failing. I'm pretty sure it's related to an issue where it tries to install the onboard intel gpu driver, as the standalone driver version crashes my system as well. Think I'll just wait till I upgrade my system before using W10.

Permabanned
Sorry, just want to double check. If I run this to upgrade my current 8.1 installation - will it activate ok as if done by the Windows update version?

Give me a moment, just booting into 10 now to see if activation is fine. I guess it will be because it will use the key already on the system to sort itself out.

I am running 8.1 and the ISO method is working for me well its on 22%.

Just checked VLSC and it's not listed there. Was more making sure its 100% free for VLSC users too.

You will have to clarify this with your Microsoft rep.

Back
Top Bottom