Windows 10

Soldato
Just installed over Win7 pro using the download link posted a few pages back. Seems good so far but didnt install my 560ti drivers automatically which was a bit odd.
All good now though - nice job Microsoft

*edit nm yes they did... just needed to reboot doh!!*

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm amazed people are having download problems. I read an article quoted on Reddit that Microsoft had paid for a dedicated bandwidth pipe of up to 40Tb/sec.

Associate
Not the most successful of mornings - ran the install but it died half way through with a 0x800700c - 0x40000d The installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during the MIGRATE_DATA operation.

A second attempt & a google later & I tried again this time with no AV, unplugging USB devices & network cable via an ISO image & not keeping my applications and it worked!

Only to bring more problems, it seems the Atheros AR8161 PCI network drivers from my Gigabyte SKT 1155 Z77-DS3H motherboard don't work on Windows 10 and there are no updated ones. Any ideas folks? In the meantime I've rolled back & at least I have my applications again.

Soldato
found this:http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/windows-10-update-failed/626e8e68-4d13-4d1b-ade4-beb59e4a14d7?auth=1

I manage to solve my problem.

Go to: C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download

Delete everything

Then run this command in start>cmd wuauclt.exe /updatenow

Yes this also worked for me.

Used the ISO to put windows 10 Pro on over Windows 8.1 Pro at work (didn't have the icon to do the other method as it's a domain machine). It installed fine but wouldn't activate, also it deactivated office 2013 (365 account) and wouldn't activate that either. Had to roll back!!!

Have read a few sources inc MS that you should instal through upgrade before doing a clean instal to register your copy of Win 10. If you do a clean instal how does MS know that it's an upgrade?

Look if you people can't do it via the automatic method just download the ISO from Microsoft directly and install it from there, activations are fine.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

As above some users reporting that when doing this and checking if their copy is registered, it isn't.

So once you've upgraded you should be able to do a clean install on the same hardware and have it auto activate (at least until you replace the motherboard)?

Seems like an annoying yet smart choice by microsoft and would explain the 1 year free upgrade option. As it means when people replace their PCs or upgrade hardware in over a years time they'll be required to purchase it in order to activate.

If you upgraded from a retail copy of Windows you will be able to instal in the future if you upgrade your PC. If you upgraded from OEM version of Windows you will not be allowed to instal it on a new build.

Guys - it's a 208 page thread, so forgive if this is already covered.
I've got two machines here, one running Windows 8.1 and one running 8.1 Professional.
I registered via the "flag icon" ages ago - bothmachines with legitimate copies of Windows, both compatible etc.

I see links that enable me to download the ISO's directly - nice and easy and would allow for a clean install.
I've not looked yet, but where will I find the product keys for Windows 10? Is it using the same key as Windows 8.1?

Cheers.

Follow what I did in the first quotation and upgrade the way MS is advising then perform a clean instal is my advice using the offical ISO/USB link in this thread. Feel free to do it any other way members advice, seems to work a number of ways for some but not others.

Back
Top Bottom