Windows 10

Soldato
If you upgraded from a retail copy of Windows you will be able to instal in the future if you upgrade your PC. If you upgraded from OEM version of Windows you will not be allowed to instal it on a new build.

I understand that part, but what i don't understand is that if we upgrade from 8.1 to 10 on a retail copy of 8.1, do we get a key that's specific to windows 10 or do we forever have to install 8.1 and then upgrade every time we get new hardware so that the unique ID of the hardware is valid?

Soldato
200 pages long so excuse me if answered - I want to upgrade my graphics card in the future will this cause any problems with win8 license?

Soldato
Win 10 OS is no better than Win 8.1 :eek: I am sticking with Win 7 that's almost perfect MS need to do a lot more on UI design its horrendous on 10 no better than 8.1. Still no Aero either which is bewildering! Tiles are also a dead end UI wise. MS should just go back to the drawing board again this OS is trying to be for all devices it does not really do anything better than 7 for Desktop's.

I am struggling to think why MS are even persisting with the Tiles UI on a desktop :rolleyes:

At least its free if you need an OS..........

Soldato
I understand that part, but what i don't understand is that if we upgrade from 8.1 to 10 on a retail copy of 8.1, do we get a key that's specific to windows 10 or do we forever have to install 8.1 and then upgrade every time we get new hardware so that the unique ID of the hardware is valid?

You don't need to instal 8.1 each time you instal on a new build.

However when you instal on a new build for the first time you may need to call MS up, I've done this twice over a number of years and was quite painless.

Soldato
Win 10 OS is no better than Win 8.1 :eek: I am sticking with Win 7 that's almost perfect MS need to do a lot more on UI design its horrendous on 10 no better than 8.1. Still no Aero either which is bewildering! Tiles are also a dead end UI wise. MS should just go back to the drawing board again this OS is trying to be for all devices it does not really do anything better than 7 for Desktop's.

I am struggling to think why MS are even persisting with the Tiles UI on a desktop :rolleyes:

At least its free if you need an OS..........

its not free if you need an OS... its free if you have win 7, 8, 8.1

Last edited:
Soldato
If your having trouble do this:

1: Go here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Download the tool for either 32/64 bit.
2: Run it takes about 3 mins on 100Mb FTTC to download the 3.2GB ISO
3: Download & run this: https://rufus.akeo.ie/
4: Use Rufus to make the ISO bootable on a USB or DVD.

Takes about 15 mins to create the bootable Win 10 media this way. I would advise installing to a new partition & or drive if multi OS booting then it will replace the old UI with a new version with several OS boot options.

Permabanned
Not the most successful of mornings - ran the install but it died half way through with a 0x800700c - 0x40000d The installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during the MIGRATE_DATA operation.

A second attempt & a google later & I tried again this time with no AV, unplugging USB devices & network cable via an ISO image & not keeping my applications and it worked!

Only to bring more problems, it seems the Atheros AR8161 PCI network drivers from my Gigabyte SKT 1155 Z77-DS3H motherboard don't work on Windows 10 and there are no updated ones. Any ideas folks? In the meantime I've rolled back & at least I have my applications again.

If it is a fresh install of win 10 then i recommend installing all your win 8.1 MB drivers from the gigabyte website. Mainly the motherboard and storage ones. The audio and graphics should be ok from windows update and obvious install the amd drivers from amd or nvidia if nvidia.

Actually just checked my gigabyte motherboard and they have finally released 10 windows drivers. So use those instead.

Last edited:
Soldato
My product key does not work :( Doesn't give me an option to phone or anything.

I upgraded from Windows 8.1 Pro Retail but did not do an upgrade just did a clean install

Help

Yup cos it doesn't know you already have W8.1 I guess. You might need to install 8.1 again and upgrade? Not sure how it's working at the moment.

Sucks a bit that MS don't have a site or something where you can basically trade your W7/8 key in for a W10 key.

Soldato
My product key does not work :( Doesn't give me an option to phone or anything.

I upgraded from Windows 8.1 Pro Retail but did not do an upgrade just did a clean install

Help

You need to reinstal Win 7/8.1 and upgrade through Windows Update before doing a clean instal.

Installing through Win Update registers your copy of Win 10. A clean install before registering does not.

Back
Top Bottom