Windows 10

Associate
You need to reinstal Win 7/8.1 and upgrade through Windows Update before doing a clean instal.

Installing through Win Update registers your copy of Win 10. A clean install before registering does not.

But if the windows update doesn't work .. errors. Can I download the program from their website and run it from the desktop ? will that be the same as windows update ? or it'll bug me off with the key?

Soldato
Yup cos it doesn't know you already have W8.1 I guess. You might need to install 8.1 again and upgrade? Not sure how it's working at the moment.

Sucks a bit that MS don't have a site or something where you can basically trade your W7/8 key in for a W10 key.

What the hell :( have to reinstall 8 and then 8.1 and then upgrade and then clean? Who came up with this great idea from MS?

Soldato
You need to reinstal Win 7/8.1 and upgrade through Windows Update before doing a clean instal.

Installing through Win Update registers your copy of Win 10. A clean install before registering does not.

So once I've done an upgrade and 'registered' my copy of W10, can I then do a clean install from the ISO and it'll be licensed through my Live/Windows account - is that right?

Permabanned
My key is coming up as blocked as like many I was one of those people who used the Windows 8 Preview Key to obtain a valid Windows 8 upgrade Key back in 2013.

When I go to activate Windows 10 it somehow stores the old Preview Key that ended in *** 3V66T and when you go to change the key to the Upgrade Key it comes up with an error

I have re-installed a fresh copy of Windows 8 and the upgrade key activates fine. However when upgrading to Windows 10 (Not a fresh install) it repeats the same problem. I did NOT upgrade to 8.1 as it allowed me to install without 8.1

I have also tried installing Win 10 TP and it activates with my Windows 8 upgrade key but also fails to activate when I install Windows 10.

I created the Win 10 ISO from the ESD method using the files that were preloaded on my machine.

Has anyone who is in the same boat found a way around this or are we stuck with Windows 8.1?

Ta

Last edited:
Soldato
If your having trouble do this:

1: Go here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Download the tool for either 32/64 bit.
2: Run it takes about 3 mins on 100Mb FTTC to download the 3.2GB ISO
3: Download & run this: https://rufus.akeo.ie/
4: Use Rufus to make the ISO bootable on a USB or DVD.

Takes about 15 mins to create the bootable Win 10 media this way. I would advise installing to a new partition & or drive if multi OS booting then it will replace the old UI with a new version with several OS boot options.

Why would you need the rufus tool? Doesn't the download linked at step 1 do create a bootable USB anyways?

Soldato
Lots of pages in this thread and answers everywhere! People are panicking now as they want all to go smooth.

Might be worth someone who knows it all to put a sticky up at the front outlining all the different upgrade / clean install methods?

Soldato
I see links that enable me to download the ISO's directly - nice and easy and would allow for a clean install.
I've not looked yet, but where will I find the product keys for Windows 10? Is it using the same key as Windows 8.1?

Cheers.

There is no key as such. To do a clean install you need to upgrade Windows to Windows 10 so that your hardware spec gets registered with MS. This validates your existing Windows OS/Key as eligible for the upgrade. Then if you want to do a clean install wipe your hard drive and put Win 10 back on or use the reset my data option to wipe Win 10 back to a base install.

All Win 10 does then to activate is to check your hardware spec against whats recorded on the MS servers. As it matches it then it activates.

Back
Top Bottom