Windows 10

Associate
should I install win 8 on a VM and them run the upgrade? It will use the VM hardware ID which will not be the same as my hardware ID, so will cause issues??

I'm using a windows 10 insider build at the moment, don't wanna wipe and install 8, and then upgrade to 10
and then a clean install of 10.

Soldato
How in God's name do I get Cortana to work. It says that I need to make sure all the language, speech and region settings are set to the same location but it still wont allow me to activate it.

Associate
Installed it on my MacBook Air 2011 , seems responsive enough and Cortana is working as intended , but it seems that a few Apple orientated drivers are missing still.

I might install this on my main PC at home night.

Soldato
But MS doesn't know that your key is genuine yet. You have to upgrade before you can clean install.

I suppose MS could have made it so that Windows 10 accepts 7/8/8.1 keys as well as it's own, but would be too much to ask clearly.

Off course they do. They know its a genuine Windows 8.1 key.

And why is it too much to ask? Isn't their current setup doing exactly that?

Associate
So that was painless, installed saved everything across and bam Windows 10 installed.

Feels pretty much the same was Windows 8, bar the weird blue icon backgrounds. :/

You can change the color of the icons and the bar

action centre, all settings, personalisation , colours ;)

Soldato
So if I upgrade to win10 now, how do I reinstall windows when I get a new mobo and hard drive?

I've seen some posts saying no key as such and it just works on hardware IDs, so what happens when I change my hardware?

Soldato
Dual booting 7 & 10 here, was on 10 this morning and now when i boot into 7 i dont have the Win 10 upgrade icon in the taskbar anymore. Im guessing M$ have already checked my hardware now after dual booting 10 on it but i wasnt gona upgrade my OEM 7 to 10 until i upgraded my mobo later this year..

I just hope installing 7 again on the newer mobo will let me upgrade still, if it doesnt then M$, you're a complete joke.

Staying on 7 for now until all this crap blows over and they are more open about this whole upgrade process, in the meantime i'll keep dual booting and stay on the Win 10 Insider Program to get my Win 10 buzz.

Soldato
Win 10 OS is no better than Win 8.1 :eek: I am sticking with Win 7 that's almost perfect MS need to do a lot more on UI design its horrendous on 10 no better than 8.1. Still no Aero either which is bewildering! Tiles are also a dead end UI wise. MS should just go back to the drawing board again this OS is trying to be for all devices it does not really do anything better than 7 for Desktop's.

I am struggling to think why MS are even persisting with the Tiles UI on a desktop :rolleyes:

At least its free if you need an OS..........

Oh great another Win7 user that can't get past an old ageing OS that is NOT perfect,Aero argument is getting so old now that I wonder how you guys managed before it let alone after.

You want better then 7 but hate the latest Windows well have a look at Linux,end of the day you are probably one of those guys that I think Microsoft will never please,thankfully you are in the minority and yes I like Win8.1 and Win10.

Win7 I ditched years ago so nothing great or special about that OS.

Good luck when Win7 comes to EOL, you are going to need it.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Associate
Upgraded from 8.1 to 10, all went pretty well, from what I can tell anyway.

The only issue so far is my soundcard isn't working, I forgot how rubbish Creative were on drivers but it seems I have found a set that work.

Really like Win 10 so far I must say.

Soldato
So once I've done an upgrade and 'registered' my copy of W10, can I then do a clean install from the ISO and it'll be licensed through my Live/Windows account - is that right?

once you have upgraded from W7 to W10 you can do a clean install, this is what I did

What's everyone's take on this privacy policy change implementing on 1st August?

I find it all a little unsettling personally, I know it's been happening for a while now (advertising ID etc) but to have it cannonised in print that you have to agree makes it all feel like data farming.

Caporegime
You can change the color of the icons and the bar

action centre, all settings, personalisation , colours ;)

Awesome, still looks cack though. Should have a opacity option.

How in God's name do I get Cortana to work. It says that I need to make sure all the language, speech and region settings are set to the same location but it still wont allow me to activate it.

Same here, have checked everything I can think of too!

Back
Top Bottom